Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Wireless Lock Alarm components removal

Views : 29455

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2011, 19:20   #11
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoxic View Post
Nice work gatos.
About that key..
''

When I removed my engine, battery was dissconnected for more than a month. I had problems with lock alarm, as soon as I connected battery back.
It seemed that alarm doesn't work at first, so I locked doors with that key itself. The next morning everything worked fine. So I think it reprogramed itself somehow....
Thanks Biotoxic. I know about that. The battery on that car is dead anyway, so anytime i need power, I transfer the battery from my good car. The problem is that I removed the battery from the fob.........................

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 23:11   #12
neanderthal
Master Member

Default well done gatos

thanks gatos, for persuading me not to try and take my key apart,as i bought a second hand key off ebay in good condition as mine was chipped on the corner.i was going to swap the inners and blade.......i think i will stick to a mans alternative.....tape....
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 10:54   #13
gkmell

Question Keys ECU s40 mitsubishi module

Hi Gatos i have big probs which i hope you can help with i have a GDI 1.8 x plated s40 with a engine module fault no 1 and 2 coils are not firing i need to know if i change the ecu can a volvo dealer just reprogramme it into my original keys .
Have checked wiring from coils to ecu which are ok.
Any help please.
Col.
gkmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 13:25   #14
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmell View Post
Hi Gatos i have big probs which i hope you can help with i have a GDI 1.8 x plated s40 with a engine module fault no 1 and 2 coils are not firing i need to know if i change the ecu can a volvo dealer just reprogramme it into my original keys .
Have checked wiring from coils to ecu which are ok.
Any help please.
Col.
They should be able to do it. Best thing is to give them a call and ask them if they can do it to be 100% sure. When I first made this guide, I assumed that if I changed the key with the matching Immobiliser unit, the immobiliser would work on its own. ANother member told me that the key is programmed into the ECU instead but I never got a chance to test it.

Have you considered how you are going to take your car to the dealers when you put in the new ECU, as your key will not work with the new immobiliser. It is a lot easier to change the ECU by the way. On my guide I made a whole write up of taking the centre console off first etc. There is an easier way by removing the plastic/fabric trim on the side of the drivers footwell and you can access the ECU directly. Here are the VADIS instructions.
You might as well try swapping the ECU and see if the key is working with the immobiliser or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECM 1.jpg (65.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ECM 2.jpg (87.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ECM 3.jpg (55.5 KB, 19 views)

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Nov 20th, 2011 at 13:48.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 14:01   #15
gkmell

Question Ecu S40 GDI

Thanks for the reply i have removed the ECU to check the wiring my thought was to get a module from the breakers and tow it to the dealer to get it programmed.
My other option is to send my module for repair but will it still have to be programmed.
Do you know of any module repair people ?
Thanks Col.
gkmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 15:15   #16
gatos
Premier Member

No idea to be honest. You are better off with a second hand unit. They hardly ever fail as units, so I guess you were unlucky with yours. I would still try to get one and try it out before you take it to the dealers. Maybe, maybe it may work with no need for programming...

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:08   #17
piyushkothari

Too much of work, but this is very detailed guid and cant be any better than this
piyushkothari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 17:02   #18
marty3271

Default Central Locking

I have changed out all the parts in the original description but my central locking just isn't working. I've checked all fuses, fob batteries etc. The car will not unlock either from the remote or from either of the door switches.
Anyone any ideas on what i could try next?
Am i missing something?

Volvo had a quick look and told me up to 8 hours labour to investigate further. Their initial finding was that the controller wasn't getting a signal
marty3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 17:11   #19
gatos
Premier Member

Have you checked the bonnet switch? If it is very dirty, it might cause you problems. If not, the next thing to check would be the alarm siren. Ideally, you should have your codes read and it would normally pinpoint the problem. 8 hours to investigate is taking the ****

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 17:38   #20
marty3271

I have looked at the bonnet switch, but can't see anything that ties it to the electrics in any way. I'll maybe just remove it and give it a good clean anyway.
Thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how i get on.

PS. I assume the interior lights are connected, they don't come on when the door is opened, only the footwell.
marty3271 is offline   Reply With Quote