Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Wireless Lock Alarm components removal

Views : 29440

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 19:47   #21
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty3271 View Post
I have looked at the bonnet switch, but can't see anything that ties it to the electrics in any way. I'll maybe just remove it and give it a good clean anyway.
Thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how i get on.

PS. I assume the interior lights are connected, they don't come on when the door is opened, only the footwell.
That is a bit odd. I would expect all lights to either come on, or none at all. What year is your car?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 22:07   #22
marty3271

It's a V40 sport estate, '04 reg
Everything was working fine for a while after i got it. It just decided one morning to stop working altogether. Unfortunately, of course, i can't get the boot open as the lock appears to have been changed at some point and the key doesn't fit.
Volvo released the fuel filler flap for me though, but weren't much help otherwise. I'm not paying £500 for labour plus parts to fix this issue. Any other info you could give me would be a great help.
My next step is to check the rest of the locks, including the bonnet (which i may just change anyway) Unless you can suggest anything else.

Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated

Last edited by marty3271; Jun 7th, 2013 at 22:14.
marty3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 00:18   #23
gatos
Premier Member

Silly thing, but can you check if both connectors on the driver's door switch are connected properly?

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 10:09   #24
marty3271

Already have, it's been off and on a couple of times now. I had the door card off yesterday and changed the microswitch in the lock to see if that was the issue, still nothing.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 11:46   #25
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty3271 View Post
Already have, it's been off and on a couple of times now. I had the door card off yesterday and changed the microswitch in the lock to see if that was the issue, still nothing.
I was going to suggest the microswitch in the drivers lock, but you've checked it already...... Don't think there is a point checking the rest of the locks as I doubt they have anything to do with your problem.

Which leaves two possible causes. Either the lock alarm unit it fried, or there is a ground sorting somewhere.

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 17:43   #26
marty3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
I was going to suggest the microswitch in the drivers lock, but you've checked it already...... Don't think there is a point checking the rest of the locks as I doubt they have anything to do with your problem.

Which leaves two possible causes. Either the lock alarm unit it fried, or there is a ground sorting somewhere.
I swapped out the control unit with a second hand part, still no response so i swapped it back. The bonnet lock does not appear to have any connection to the system apart from the pull cable and there was a small bit of broken plastic floating around when i removed the mechanism. I have a replacement lock on it's way, maybe that'll help. We shall see.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 15:28   #27
marty3271

I've now changed the bonnet lock for one with a microswitch and plugged it in. Still no response from the central locking, either from the fob or from the switched inside.
I'm at a loss now, i've swapped the control unit, rc receiver, bonnet lock, drivers side micro switch, sensor on dashboard and still nothing.
If you've any other ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by marty3271; Jun 11th, 2013 at 17:16.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 18:16   #28
shaunv40
www.summerseries.co.uk

what does your wiring loom look like underneath the radiator? if could be worn and causing these problems.

there is a guide on here on how to do the wiring loom

www.summerseries.co.uk
shaunv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 19:43   #29
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunv40 View Post
what does your wiring loom look like underneath the radiator? if could be worn and causing these problems.

there is a guide on here on how to do the wiring loom
Last two things to look at would be the siren under the OSF wing and then the loom under the radiator and under the OSF wing.

I am wondering if reading the VGLA codes with DICE would shed any light

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 21:29   #30
shaunv40
www.summerseries.co.uk

that would have been the 2nd or 3rd thing i would have done (maybe called you 1st though)

www.summerseries.co.uk
shaunv40 is offline   Reply With Quote