Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T5 v B5

Views : 2738

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 16:47   #11
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Just to chime in, I'm in an XC60 T6 and in town I'm getting low 20s and out and about high twenties, early thirties, but car has only done 2200 miles or so.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:02   #12
Discoman

I went through this debate in the summer. Test drove a D5 and ordered a T5. My choice was partially where the market is going - look at Bristol and I drive in Edinburgh and they will do something in time - and partially cost driven as the T5 is much cheaper on PCP.

Sure the diesel will give better economy but you need to do a lot of miles to make up for the higher price and lower residuals. As for performance I don't know where the comments about the T5 struggling come from as I have no issue and only ever use more than half throttle when overtaking. It is plently fast enough for daily driving and handles very well on the firm setting on the air suspension that I would encourage you to look at. I am getting 28mpg so far but still less than 5k miles in.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 13:14   #13
DaveTW

Thanks for all the really useful comments.
DaveTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 22:14   #14
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
I went through this debate in the summer. Test drove a D5 and ordered a T5. My choice was partially where the market is going - look at Bristol and I drive in Edinburgh and they will do something in time - and partially cost driven as the T5 is much cheaper on PCP.

Sure the diesel will give better economy but you need to do a lot of miles to make up for the higher price and lower residuals. As for performance I don't know where the comments about the T5 struggling come from as I have no issue and only ever use more than half throttle when overtaking. It is plently fast enough for daily driving and handles very well on the firm setting on the air suspension that I would encourage you to look at. I am getting 28mpg so far but still less than 5k miles in.
I coincide 100% with this comment. T5 and air suspension. I had the compressor replaced at the beginning, because of a Volvo callback, but no issues since then.

The T5 (polestarized) is plenty of power and drives smoothly.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 08:09   #15
redbuta

My T5 is just over a year now.

See attached screenshot - Imperial units.

Daily commute - 9.8 miles in the morning and 10.1 miles in the evening - mixed city centre and dual carriageway:
  • Winter figures - congestion 25-27mpg, free flow traffic 30 mpg
  • Summer figures - congestion 26-28mpg, free flow traffic 31-34 mpg
  • "Dynamic" mode - congestion around 24-26mpg, free flow traffic 29mpg

Motorway trips longer than 10 miles:
  • 1-2 ppl - 34+mpg
  • Winter 4 adults + 2 kids with car seats + luggage - 31-33 mpg

I drive to the speed limit (within 10% over it) most of the time, faster when overtaking.

With a full car (4 adults + 2 kids with car seats + luggage), I didn't find 50-70mph overtaking on single carriageways any more nervous than my previous manual 2012 Skoda 2.0 TDI (in 3rd or 4th gear).

And I'd assume "Dynamic" mode will solve the problem if there is really a problem - it was very very quick compared to 1.5T Mini Cooper Auto in S mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG317.jpg (57.9 KB, 22 views)
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 16:32   #16
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuta View Post
My T5 is just over a year now.

I drive to the speed limit (within 10% over it) most of the time, faster when overtaking.
Likewise, almost identical data with an XC60 T5 Polestar now 14 months old.

29.1 mpg
35 mph
9,771 miles

Either Town driving c33%, or A&B country roads c33% with balance on Motorways c33%.
I have no issue with this data as it compares favourable with my two previous XC60 D5's that averaged c32.7 mpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1710.jpeg (18.0 KB, 10 views)