Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Color after oil change : XC60 MY10 D5

Views : 1272

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 04:48   #1
dodgyblue

Default Oil Color after oil change : XC60 MY10 D5

Hi guys

I've been changing the oil on my other car (Vauxhall/Opel/Holden) Astra myself and each time, for several weeks after the oil change the oil remains a nice light golden hue.

Now, I've just got my car serviced at the Volvo dealer (60K service with oil change etc). When I got back home and the car has cooled down (probably a distance of 15k), I managed to stick my hand down and pull out the dipstick. The oil was black.

Hmmm... is this always the case with the D5 engines? Fresh oil turns black in a matter of minutes?

Also, does anyone know if there's a video somewhere showing how to do an oil change on the D5?
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 06:49   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

Maybe they just sucked out the old oil and not drain it.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:58   #3
craigv60
Master Member

Diesels turn new oil black in no time at all. Even when the oil drop is done by removing the sumpl plug and draining, enough oil residue remains with soot suspended to blacken the new oil.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 08:01   #4
watchboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Diesels turn new oil black in no time at all. Even when the oil drop is done by removing the sumpl plug and draining, enough oil residue remains with soot suspended to blacken the new oil.
Craig is bang on with his response. It's frustrating but unfortunately dirty looking oil is a trait of diesel engines

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 17:28   #5
CJL
Master Member

It's true that oil goes black quickly, but this does not mean that they DID change it. have a look at the filter. Does it look like it's been removed? Even though I can change the filter with no mess, they always seem to make a mess somewhere.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 17:39   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Diesel oil does change from golden to black within 10 miles mine had a service and it was already going semi dark by the time it was home from Volvo.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 18:49   #7
Westyman
VOC Member

Had exactly same issue with first service on the V70 in 2011 with same info fed back.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 18:50   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
Hi guys

I've been changing the oil on my other car (Vauxhall/Opel/Holden) Astra myself and each time, for several weeks after the oil change the oil remains a nice light golden hue.

Now, I've just got my car serviced at the Volvo dealer (60K service with oil change etc). When I got back home and the car has cooled down (probably a distance of 15k), I managed to stick my hand down and pull out the dipstick. The oil was black.

Hmmm... is this always the case with the D5 engines? Fresh oil turns black in a matter of minutes?

Also, does anyone know if there's a video somewhere showing how to do an oil change on the D5?
Yes this is quite normal for a diesel , It is Not a case of the new oil going black on its own , it has help from the litre or so of old oil still in the pipelines within the engine , it gets mixed in as soon as you start the engine .. Quite Normal .
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 19:33   #9
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Maybe they just sucked out the old oil and not drain it.
Using a suction pump will empty the sump completely as a suction convert I've sucked the oil out then removed the sump plug first time i used it...nowt came out...never again will I grovel under cars to change the oil
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:00   #10
dodgyblue

Thanks guys. Where is the oil filter? There's an oil filter like canister on the front left of the engine (facing the engine). Is that the filter housing? THe other thing is if people are sucking the oil out of the engine, where do they fit the suction hose? Don't tell me its via the micro dipstick location?