Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How long can geartronic last if well maintained?

Views : 4653

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 11:04   #51
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Maths says you change about 2/3 of the ATF - and that's not done in an afternoon. You said you got something similar to the Horton machine in an afternoon for £60, hence my query.

Not a criticism - just assumed you'd found the Holy Grail, but you're mortal like the rest of us

I buy longer miles cars, and it's a good investment for me to have the reassurance that the one-off change has been done (esp as the XC70 'box was ever-so-slightly lumpy, and is now bob-on after taking a while to settle down)
Also the maths is not 2/3 is it?

1 dump 50%
2 dumps 75%
3 dumps 87%
4 dumps 93% or thereabouts by my maths.

93% in an afternoon for £60 odd quid, or 97% for £350?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 11:15   #52
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Also the maths is not 2/3 is it?

1 dump 50%
2 dumps 75%
3 dumps 87%
4 dumps 93% or thereabouts by my maths.

93% in an afternoon for £60 odd quid, or 97% for £350?
I think your maths fails to take into account that you're dumping new as well as old. So based on Dump 2, with the (inexact, but as a rough estimate) parameters being 7.5L capacity & 2.5L dump, a third of what you dump is the new stuff you just put in and so on. I got a bit of paper and calc'd it last night, I'll look it out - unless we have a resident maths guru that will do it for us**?

Oh, and of course that assumes that in your method you're able to get fluid out of the torque converter et al - in practice the proportion of new ATF you're dumping will be rather higher.

As I say, I'm absolutely not seeking argument, but it's an interesting discussion where one must select ones preferred horse for your course.

**Actually that would be very useful, because I do think I'm right, but mostly I'd like to know the right answer!
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 12:55   #53
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I think your maths fails to take into account that you're dumping new as well as old. So based on Dump 2, with the (inexact, but as a rough estimate) parameters being 7.5L capacity & 2.5L dump, a third of what you dump is the new stuff you just put in and so on. I got a bit of paper and calc'd it last night, I'll look it out - unless we have a resident maths guru that will do it for us**?

Oh, and of course that assumes that in your method you're able to get fluid out of the torque converter et al - in practice the proportion of new ATF you're dumping will be rather higher.

As I say, I'm absolutely not seeking argument, but it's an interesting discussion where one must select ones preferred horse for your course.

**Actually that would be very useful, because I do think I'm right, but mostly I'd like to know the right answer!
I do agree with you, the proper and best way is with a good machine as shown, it’s more the fact that it’s possible to go from brown worn fluid to clean cherry red in the drive for low cost.

It’s horses for courses as you say, I enjoy working on the car and the solution is fine for me. If I didn’t want to work on it or was as happy handing over to a service shop I would pay the £350.00
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:15   #54
Kev0607
Premier Member

That's a downside of the machine to change the fluid... the cost.

It probably works wonders & is a very good piece of kit, but £300+ for a fluid change is on the expensive side. Then again, not everyone has ramps or jacks for to do it themselves & I can understand why they'd bring it to a garage. I still wouldn't use it on my car though, but that's just personal choice.

My car had no records of the gearbox fluid being changed prior to my ownership, so its not a risk I'd take personally. If the car had regular gearbox servicing though (with records to show it), then I'd probably get a garage with one of these machines to do it (like Horton) because it does seem like a more thorough job than draining & filling (Done all at once, as opposed to over time repeatedly).

So it seems the best method for a DIY perspective is drain the fluid, replace the exact amount what you drain, drive the car for a while & then repeat the process over a period of time. I was skeptical about just cycling through the gears for a few minutes & then draining again (doing the job all in one day). Draining & filling over a period of time, with the car actually being driven does make more sense to me.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 7th, 2021 at 12:18.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 13:39   #55
hewking

hi wow are you sure the filter is not replacable? if yes what difference does it make to change gearbox oil if it gets dirty again from the filter? shocking
hewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 15:54   #56
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewking View Post
hi wow are you sure the filter is not replacable? if yes what difference does it make to change gearbox oil if it gets dirty again from the filter? shocking
The filter isn't easily accessible. You'd have to literally remove the transmission & take it apart to access it. Obviously, this is something that people aren't going to do because it would cost a fortune.

This is why its important to change the fluid.
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 16:00   #57
johnnyoro

Hi those of you considering changing your own gearbox oil may find this useful
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bwZElsodM
johnnyoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 16:08   #58
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewking View Post
Yes I'm sure. But aiui it's a mesh filter as opposed to an oil filter so not susceptible to contamination of the fluid. If a machine is used such as the one we have been discussing, then any detritus caught in the mesh will be flushed (there's that word again!) back out with the old atf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 16:55   #59
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes I'm sure. But aiui it's a mesh filter as opposed to an oil filter so not susceptible to contamination of the fluid. If a machine is used such as the one we have been discussing, then any detritus caught in the mesh will be flushed (there's that word again!) back out with the old atf.
Are you sure of that? I find that really interesting as I had always wondered why they did not have a filter for changing so that would all make sense.

Interesting to know!!
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 17:12   #60
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Are you sure of that? I find that really interesting as I had always wondered why they did not have a filter for changing so that would all make sense.

Interesting to know!!
Here's the item itself which aiui is mesh in housing. The reference re it being flushed I have read but darned if I can remember where - I'll have a think/look after the rugby

https://www.automatic-berger.de/TF80...lter-2005-2008
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:

Tags
geartronic