Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 heavy steering

Views : 1602

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 15:57   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 heavy steering

Hi,

My Dad's steering in his V70 P3 D5 is very heavy. Its not so bad when you're driving normally, but parking it becomes a challenge! There's nearly 163k on it.

The fluid level appears to be correct and I can't see any leaks anywhere. I did notice the fluid is very dark though.

I was thinking it could be the power steering pump, but the steering is still heavy when you rev the car. That makes me think it might be something else, but at 163k, it could well be the pump.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 19:02   #2
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I did notice the fluid is very dark though.
Start with the simplest and cheapest option first: new power steering fluid
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 19:40   #3
noscralc

Default heavy steering

Worth checking the steering shaft knuckles especially the one going onto the rack (seem my post-assuming its the same set up as my 2003 )
noscralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 20:29   #4
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Start with the simplest and cheapest option first: new power steering fluid
Besides new oil - could the problem (also) be the Power steering filter?

I cannot remember where and which model... but it looks like it exists on P3's:

https://www.rexbo.co.uk/car-parts/fi...ii-bw/10274-d5
hal9000f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 21:19   #5
Stu B
Master Member

Hi Kev, firstly check the tyres pressures (I’m sure you have) and then get the turkey baster out and change the PAS fluid one reservoir at a time.

Suck the contents out, refill with new fluid. Start the car and steer lock to lock a few times to bleed it (easier if the front of the car is jacked up slightly to take the weight off the tyres). If it’s really filthy, remove and clean the reservoir when empty and reconnect.

Repeat the process a few times and the fluid will be close to replaced and bright green. Set the level to min on the reservoir and go for a test drive.

Cheers
Stu
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 21:23   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Cheers all.

I'll try replacing the power steering fluid to see if that makes a difference.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:22   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

It looks like there's a little paper filter/gauze inside the power steering fluid reservoir. Is this replaceable on its own, or do you have to buy a whole new reservoir?

I'm not entirely convinced the heavy steering is related to old fluid, but its worth a try.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:07   #8
xavierx

I don't think changing power steering fluid has ever fixed a worn out pump 😉

Doesn't hurt to flush out the system though ready for when you install the new component(s)

With the car in park/neutral. Start turning the steering wheel and rev the engine up to around 3k rpm, if the steering becomes lighter as the engine revs up, then the pump is bad (or possibly the pressure regulator) however at 160k+ miles, it is highly likely to be a worn out pump.

If revving the engine makes no differnce, does the car have variable speed power steering? (check in vehicle settings menu) if yes, then it can be a bad control module (located behind the glove box) or the fuse feeding power to the variable power steering module. Also check the wiring connecting to the steering rack, located behind the drivers side front wheel liner)
2011 F10 BMW M5

Last edited by xavierx; Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:10.
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xavierx For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:49   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
I don't think changing power steering fluid has ever fixed a worn out pump 😉

Doesn't hurt to flush out the system though ready for when you install the new component(s)

With the car in park/neutral. Start turning the steering wheel and rev the engine up to around 3k rpm, if the steering becomes lighter as the engine revs up, then the pump is bad (or possibly the pressure regulator) however at 160k+ miles, it is highly likely to be a worn out pump.

If revving the engine makes no differnce, does the car have variable speed power steering? (check in vehicle settings menu) if yes, then it can be a bad control module (located behind the glove box) or the fuse feeding power to the variable power steering module. Also check the wiring connecting to the steering rack, located behind the drivers side front wheel liner)
It doesn't have variable speed steering. I've revved the engine slightly, but it made no difference. Admittedly, I didn't do it to 3,000 rpm. I'll have to try that.

My guess is the pump too, but I'll change the fluid anyway for the sake of it.

I can't find any power steering pump replacement videos for a 2008 P3 D5. I've seen a video on a petrol model, but that's a completely different engine and the layout is different under the bonnet. I don't think power steering pumps are cheap?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 19:48   #10
Daim
Brit in Germany

Reving the engine won't change the steering force as it is SPEED sensitive and not REV sensitive It gets a signal Al via the ABS sensors or better said a speed output and then will alter the pressure.

My parents 500 has an issue like that... The steering is all well and good at very slow speeds but the moment it exceeds the city steering limit, it turns super heavy, absolutely no assistance. So I would expect here that the assistance isn't there.

Question is:
- pure hydraulic power steering
OR
- electro hydraulic?

Electronic hydraulic would need a signal to turn it on, which you would be able to hear when you turn the steering wheel. Pure hydraulic would be on the belts and will be on all the time. Volvo switched somewhere around 2011/2012 to full electro hydraulic.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: