Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'94 2lt 940 Wentworth pulley adrift. Can I fix it with your help?

Views : 809

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:53   #1
Ryan CS

Default '94 2lt 940 Wentworth pulley adrift. Can I fix it with your help?

Hello....big problem!(B200FT) Bottom pulley adrift.Initially warning lights came on when lock turned ie load from p/s. Very noisy suddenly and then Bottom pulley gave up and stopped rotating. Engine continued to run but all belts eventually stopped. A/C, altn,and p/s all still rotate. Noticed pully loose and wobbly. Removed bolt and retaining washer and removed pully. Woodrow key chewed and powdered! Called into Volvo dealer for a £1.48p replacement key to be told they don't sell them. It didn't appear on their parts CD either. They said I need a new crank or pulley. Seems mad to me. I did notice from the CD that the bottom drive gear for the cam belt is also slotted and 'attached' to this keyway.That means it must still be partly in situe. Any answers for this dilema? It is rather urgent as VOR at present. No detail in Haynes either.If I do need to get at bottom cam drive gear can I take bottom cover of the cam setup. Will this help?
(Car has done 177k and just got back from 1500 mile trip to France with caravan so at least she was kind enough to wait till I was almost outside my house)
Tks Chris
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 18:18   #2
Colin Shepherd

Default RE: '94 2lt 940 Wentworth pulley adrift. Can I fix it w...

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

Chris,
Click on the link below for details of a repair.

www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=670963

Also read the replies, one of them suggests just using a bolt which is what I would do.
The key is only there to index the pulley to the timing belt sprocket (and to the crank via the sprocket) and is not intended to carry the torque loads. This is why they shear if the pulley comes loose.
Alternatively a sprocket from the breakers yard (any B200 or B230 engine will do)

Colin.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 21:26   #3
Ryan CS

Colin
Tks yr reply. You've saved my bacon! I took cam belt cover off and had a look! No Woodruff key used! Slot on crank with classic scallop shape for one but it uses a key forged into the cam belt sprocket drive, and as you say a locator lug.
Oh so simple! Interesting how fragile it looks! Off to the breakers tomorrow morning as you suggest. I will also let parts manager at Volvo (Bells of Bedford) know as he has had a couple of people in with same problem.
Colin, Many thanks your prompt reply
rgds
Chris
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 21:57   #4
Ryan CS

Colin,
Update on saga!
Went to breakers and collected sprocket of a donor. Think it was F plate.
However, on comparing the two items, my '94 Wentworth had deeper chines to accomodate latest cam belt and this matched all the other belt pulleys on my car. It would probably have worked for a short while.ie get you home but then who knows! I ordered the correct piece from the Volvo dealer (£28)and it will arrive overnight. I collect it 0830 tomorrow 28th and hope by 10am I'll be running again!
regards and tks Chris
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 23:16   #5
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

Chris,
sorry about that, I totally forgot that the tooth form, round versus square did change, supposedly for increased timing belt longevity.
Glad to hear that you are now on the road to recovery!
Why Volvo didn`t use a conventional Woodruff key has often made me wonder, but thinking about it, I expect it saves 1 Kroner per car so they think it worthwile. ( bloody bean counters)
So much for quality engineering!
Colin.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:58   #6
Ryan CS

Colin
Tks ur mail.
You can see the Volvo logic with the design. I had an H plate 960 which had a belt failure 56 miles after I bought it! I was told at the time that on that year 960 to change the belt every 20,000 miles! Later models went upto 60K+ so perhaps that model had a similar tooth config! I was too shocked at the time to want to look as all 24 valves hit the pistons!!
Volvo just rang (0815) to tell me part not arrived. They hope for 1100am delivery!!
rgds & tks
Chris
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 19:53   #7
Ryan CS

Colin
Car fixed, many thanks your input!rgds
Chris