Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 V40 missing alarm relay

Views : 333

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 22:16   #1
Ginga

Default '98 V40 missing alarm relay

I've been looking at the fuse/relay box to sort another issue but in the process I noticied the alarm relay was missing.

I'm assuming it's missing because the car has those a-pilar sensors, red light on the speaker and when the battery is reconnected the alarm horn makes a little sound.

I'm willing to try and fit a relay to get the alarm working. I assume it isn't

Is there anything to be aware? Can there be some sort of niggle around the alarm (and immobilizer?) that led a previous owner to disconnect the relay?
If the alarm sets off, is it controlled with the key remote?

Thanks once more for your help.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 02:18   #2
canis
Non Fragile

On my '98 V40, the important distinction is to note that the key fob remote control does NOT lock the doors! The key fob remote arms the alarm, and the alarm locks the doors for you, amongst other things.

There are many niggles, the usual culprit is the bonnet lock which incorporates a switch to detect intrusion. But it's also worth noting that on my '98 model the alarm can be armed with the bonnet up, and will still lock the car and detect intrusion but will ignore the bonnet. This is a useful feature if you find yourself with an engine in bits, tubes and wires dangling over each wing, late at night and needing sleep. Or if you're charging the battery or whatever. In this situation, the alarm can still be used to protect the cabin. The windows must be closed, which is annoying on hot days - but there it is.

If the alarm is triggered, to cancel it one simply uses the fob to disarm it and stand down the alarm. The alarm system is sensitive to voltage changes, and that's why it will trigger if you connect the car's battery - because the alarm has it's own battery, so remains active and will notice sudden rises or falls in voltage.

On a '98 car, the siren is located under the battery tray. The alarm module is near the steering column.

The central locking is entirely seperate, and locking or unlocking them with the actual key will neither arm nor disarm the alarm. You can use this to test the alarm works by arming it with the fob, and then unlocking the door manually and opening the door. When the alarm screams, use the fob's "unlock" button to give it the "all clear".

Don't know if that answers your queries, I hope it clears some things up though.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:33   #3
Ginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
On my '98 V40, the important distinction is to note that the key fob remote control does NOT lock the doors! The key fob remote arms the alarm, and the alarm locks the doors for you, amongst other things.

There are many niggles, the usual culprit is the bonnet lock which incorporates a switch to detect intrusion. But it's also worth noting that on my '98 model the alarm can be armed with the bonnet up, and will still lock the car and detect intrusion but will ignore the bonnet. This is a useful feature if you find yourself with an engine in bits, tubes and wires dangling over each wing, late at night and needing sleep. Or if you're charging the battery or whatever. In this situation, the alarm can still be used to protect the cabin. The windows must be closed, which is annoying on hot days - but there it is.

If the alarm is triggered, to cancel it one simply uses the fob to disarm it and stand down the alarm. The alarm system is sensitive to voltage changes, and that's why it will trigger if you connect the car's battery - because the alarm has it's own battery, so remains active and will notice sudden rises or falls in voltage.

On a '98 car, the siren is located under the battery tray. The alarm module is near the steering column.

The central locking is entirely seperate, and locking or unlocking them with the actual key will neither arm nor disarm the alarm. You can use this to test the alarm works by arming it with the fob, and then unlocking the door manually and opening the door. When the alarm screams, use the fob's "unlock" button to give it the "all clear".

Don't know if that answers your queries, I hope it clears some things up though.
Thanks, that clears how the thing works.
I'll try to get a relay and check if it works properly.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote