Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive Shadow LED

Views : 4761

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2018, 23:16   #21
Crockers
Premier Member

I have no problems with mine.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 08:28   #22
jamei305

Interesting. There's a motorway near me prone to deer and this sounded like something it would be nice to have to keep the nearside trees lit up at all times. Seems it won't really do that?
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 08:57   #23
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I took a photo, under exterior lights, Active High beam timing
A doubt about this: Does anybody know what is the actual meaning of this setting with AST? Does fast means "high beam turns on fast after the other car is passing" or "high beam turns off fast when another car is detected"? it's almost the opposite!

I've been fiddling around a little with this setting, but it is difficult to assess.
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 09:35   #24
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamei305 View Post
Interesting. There's a motorway near me prone to deer and this sounded like something it would be nice to have to keep the nearside trees lit up at all times. Seems it won't really do that?
No probably will not, as there is a distance the LHS beam will reach, and assuming there is a hard shoulder, and you would have to be in the LHS Lane.
But that said it will help you for warning if they are running from the left, the beam does cover quite a large area to the left, even when a car is in front it shines a light up to the left of the car even along side it if not too far in front.

Tip for Deer, if you see them moving or running across in front of you and you are going to hit it, press Horn and hold it, may just make the difference as they run away from the sound, saved my backside a few times one was in the hedge running and was about to hit the side of the car as I had slowed down others in front, it heard horn and turned away just feet from hitting side of the car, they react very quick. (if one runs across in front of you, you can bet your sweet life there will be others following).
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 22:44   #25
Quacker
Premier Member

A friend has had an LED fail on his BMW X5. I think its of an age that it must be the daylight running light LED. He is changing the car as he can't stomach the cost of changing the light unit. These things are sealed and not repairable apparently. Figures upwards of £650 plus fitting, for one unit, are being mentioned for what is, effectively, a bulb replacement.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 14:26   #26
Haldex
Premier Member

Life expectancy on headlight LEDs is about 50000 hrs. Let's say it's half that - 25000. If you were to drive your car with headlights on for 10hrs a day (and this is impossible even in the Arctic circle..) 365 days a year- that's 7yrs worth. That's good enough by me.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 14:35   #27
MaDProFF
Master Member

Not if it fails outside warranty Haldex, do you think they would replace it after 3 years? I bet they come up with some crap reason as to why it is not under warranty, like our bumpy roads :P

I have had a few household LEDS fail after a short period of time, even though they state 10k hours etc.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 16:25   #28
Haldex
Premier Member

Def not- out of warranty is out of warranty.. I'm just saying it's HIGHLY unlikely they will fail within the first 5-6 years- and to me, as a first owner- that's more than reasonable. You will sooner have them replaced due to breakage/accident.

In terms of quality/durability- I wouldn't compare a £5 household LED bulb with the stuff they install in premium car headlights..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 16:58   #29
gaby
Premier Member

I prefer a lighting system with replaceable bulbs.
Is there a reason why LED headlight assemblies can't be designed this way?
I find it a bit absurd to throw away a complete assembly if only the bulb fails.
Given the choice, perhaps I had ordered the car with halogens.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 17:24   #30
WhatNext?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I prefer a lighting system with replaceable bulbs.
Is there a reason why LED headlight assemblies can't be designed this way?
I find it a bit absurd to throw away a complete assembly if only the bulb fails.
Given the choice, perhaps I had ordered the car with halogens.

Probably another way for the manufacturers to charge £££