Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1048793

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 20:47   #12721
clarkey1984
Premier Member

If you can get the jets off the car id chuck them in a bowl or something containing white wine vinegar and boiling water, let them soak for about half an hour and then blow them out with an airline, all sorts of gunk will probably come out.

Well I've had an eventful day, starting at about 9am, the non existent front pads I was talking about do in fact exist and are in rude health in terms of pad depth, god know then, the brakes are garbage though.

The driver's side top mount swap could have gone better, couldn't get the drop link to come off, got it about three quarters of the way undone and then it wouldn't go any further, the Allen headed stupidity rung off as you'd expect, so then I tried disconnecting it from the anti roll bar end, undid perfectly, so then I had to chop the nut off with the leg on the bench, the end few threads were absolutely had it so chopped the end off, didn't realise these are M10 fine thread as opposed to the infinitely more common thread pitch, stole a top mount securing nut off the t4 as they're the same and added a shake proof washer, then the actual top mount task itself...

I couldn't get enough coils held in the spring clamps to get it to close small enough, so I just undid it anyway, was only about 10mm away, refitting was of course interesting, and comprised of bolting the top mount to the car, and fitting the top spring seat and bearing onto the top of the spring, bolting the bottom back onto the hub and then slowly letting the jack down with an axle stand under the bottom arm, a little wriggling later and the top nut was secured, then it was a case of removing the lot from the car again, taking the spring compressers off and then refitting it all again, fun. It was now 13:15 so I did the only thing I could think of, which was to visit the nearest country pub for a huge carvery.

I resumed after eating far more food than a man weighing 11 stone should ever be able to consume at about 3 o'clock, with all the hard bits out of the way.

The cigarette socket was dead and the passenger mirror had no glass in, just a black plastic backing plate, so nicked both of those off the t4, then I swapped the stereo, which failed miserably, as the standard system in this makes the door speakers and boot sub run off the built in amp, off a din connection on the back of the standard hu605, my aftermarket pioneer has no such connector, so I just had tweeters only, horrible, so put the hu605 back in.

Then it was raining, and 18:30, so that's enough for me for the day, then I remembered how poor the wipers are on the new one so nicked those from the t4 as well, I am getting too old for this haha.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Oct 14th, 2018 at 20:52.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 01:10   #12722
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
Did you try disconnecting the hose and trying it then? Maybe the nozzles are blocked? Makes it easier to trace the problem from the back of the car to the front
Yes, the jets are clear. I can blow through it. With the pipe disconnected still nothing emerged. I hope it's not leaking into the car somewhere.

What puzzles me though; if there's nothing coming from the pipe - then why did I get a puddle under the brake light on the tonneaux? It just doesn't make any sense.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 01:21   #12723
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The driver's side top mount swap could have gone better, couldn't get the drop link to come off, got it about three quarters of the way undone and then it wouldn't go any further, the Allen headed stupidity rung off as you'd expect
They're a bloody nightmare, aren't they! You've just described exactly my experience the other day. I found the nylon begun to work it's way inside the nut, making the job even more frustrating, a few threads from home. This caused me to go into a personal tirade of disgusting words, childish tantrums and a profane moan about lock nuts and "our grandparents knew how to lock two nuts together" and "the old ways were better" and other nonsense.

In the end I had to bulldoze a pair of mole grips into the gaiter, which was a shame as they were in very good order. Fortunately I had a spare pair (thanks Antz!) so I didn't care too much, but as someone who tries to preserve rather than replace wherever possible, it was a bitter pill to swallow.

I did once see a design which had room for a spanner between the gaiter and the leg. That makes much more sense and I wish I could find somelike that now. The allen key things are just absolutely useless.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 08:05   #12724
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
They're a bloody nightmare, aren't they! You've just described exactly my experience the other day. I found the nylon begun to work it's way inside the nut, making the job even more frustrating, a few threads from home. This caused me to go into a personal tirade of disgusting words, childish tantrums and a profane moan about lock nuts and "our grandparents knew how to lock two nuts together" and "the old ways were better" and other nonsense.

In the end I had to bulldoze a pair of mole grips into the gaiter, which was a shame as they were in very good order. Fortunately I had a spare pair (thanks Antz!) so I didn't care too much, but as someone who tries to preserve rather than replace wherever possible, it was a bitter pill to swallow.

I did once see a design which had room for a spanner between the gaiter and the leg. That makes much more sense and I wish I could find somelike that now. The allen key things are just absolutely useless.

The t4 and the p1 I had before both ran mk8 honda civic links, only about 20mm shorter than the standard ones, the fixings are normal M10 and not fine pitch, plus they have flats on the back to get a spanner on as well, they're great.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 13:57   #12725
mrfixer

Just fitted new front drop links MEYLE ones,ground off old ones quickest way I have found
Also new front anti roll bar bushes knuckles sore elbows sore everywhere sore 😂
mrfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 22:10   #12726
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
If you can get the jets off the car id chuck them in a bowl or something containing white wine vinegar and boiling water, let them soak for about half an hour and then blow them out with an airline, all sorts of gunk will probably come out.

Well I've had an eventful day, starting at about 9am, the non existent front pads I was talking about do in fact exist and are in rude health in terms of pad depth, god know then, the brakes are garbage though.

The driver's side top mount swap could have gone better, couldn't get the drop link to come off, got it about three quarters of the way undone and then it wouldn't go any further, the Allen headed stupidity rung off as you'd expect, so then I tried disconnecting it from the anti roll bar end, undid perfectly, so then I had to chop the nut off with the leg on the bench, .
Man I did the same darned thing about 2 months ago and am still kicking myself for not just taking the bolt off the bottom of the ARB link first!!!

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 00:53   #12727
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Swapped out my PH1 rear brake calipers for some PH2 with the handbrake return springs.
kindly supplied by Alex, Damn my handbrake never felt so good lol

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:37   #12728
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I began swapping the wheels over between the t4 and the se this evening, only got around to doing the fronts as I'll need to do the same wheelarch reshaping as with the t4 to prevent rubbing, as it's catching with the 16s on as it is, but that's because the previous owner has fitted 205 55 tyres, they're too tall, i also found that the locking nut key is too chunky to fit down the holes in the 17s, luckily I kept the standard lockers off the orange one, which are slightly narrower, even with just the fronts changed so far it feels infinitely more sure footed than with the hilarious ditch finders the 16s are wearing, they're just horrible, rainsports all the way.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 06:42   #12729
canis
Non Fragile

The contrast between the 1600 and the T4 couldn't have been starker today. So much dirt, it was like waterfalls of dry dust falling from the car at every poke of a spanner. The fact that it was dry suprised me. Slightly concerned about some rust too.

The plan was to remove the suspension from the 1600 and install it directly to the T4. I would remove the nuts from the top of the strut, the bolt the control arm, and the 19mm bolt from the front end of the large hub-carrying chicken-drumstick shaped thing. (Yep, descriptions are unimproving)

Well, that sounds simple enough. Large bolts, so just go into neanderthal mode. Except it means taking out the bloody interior, which is a feckin nuisance at any time due to horrendously bad design. It also means breaking into the hyraulic lines, so I'll do that last and first. And the confounded ABS, with it's puny wire sandwitched between thin metal tongues almost as sharp as razor blades. Oh, and the T4 still has it's plastic cover on the underside, so that'll need to be removed - except that the plastic pin refuses to budge so the peg can't be withdrawn, except one which was only hanging on by rust and broke free ... oh joy!

I wish I could have the underneath of the 1600 with the T4 on the top of it.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 17:32   #12730
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The fuel gauge on the SE tells lies, the light came on, the display said 25 miles left, then it stopped, I'm half a mile from home, now off in the wind and rain to grab a can.

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage