Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broken Down again!

Views : 15472

Replies : 308

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:06   #21
aardvarkash10
Master Member

This thread takes you through my diagnostics for a similar fault. Mine turned out to be ignition amplifier. YMMV.

The point is more that you absolutely have to follow a good diagnostics procedure. Anything else is a guess.

Let us know if you need a hand!
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:23   #22
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
This thread takes you through my diagnostics for a similar fault. Mine turned out to be ignition amplifier. YMMV.

The point is more that you absolutely have to follow a good diagnostics procedure. Anything else is a guess.

Let us know if you need a hand!
I had ignition amp problems with my 740, just as i got into calais for my holiday a good few years ago now. Utter pain in the arse that was!

The issue i have is that this problem has started after replacing that very small heater hose, which makes me wonder if i have knocked or disturbed something.

The problem is, i am just guessing, as i dont have a clue, but as soon as i touch the gas when it starts getting warm, it stutters and dies. no amount of keeping my foot on the gas keeps the engine going, its dying and thats that.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:34   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Will it still idle or does it still die? Have matters improved since cleaning or replacing the fuel pump fuse?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:51   #24
James_N
VOC Member

The temp Gauge gets to about a quarter of the way round the dial (halfway between cold and normal operating temp in the middle). It will idle at that, but if i touch the gas, it will die.

Yesterday i went back to the car, didnt replace anything, and it started right away and i managed to rev it up and it sat there ticking over fine.

I then switched it off, replaced the fuel pump fuse, and started it again and it fired right up, so i just thought i'd leave it ticking over for as long as it would, but as soon as it started getting warm, i thought "i'll just try giving it gas" and it died and wouldn't restart for love nor money.

When you try and start it, it turns over, and when you release the key to stop turning it over, it stutters, like it really wants to fire, but something is stopping it firing when the temp gauge starts getting hot. There is no warming lights that come on, just touch the gas, it stutters and dies, then won't restart until its left for quite a while (probably until the engine goes cold) then it will fire again.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:31   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That puts a totally different spin on things. It could either be an air leak on the inlet side or possibly the opposite in the shape of an over-fueling problem caused by perhaps knocking the connector off a temperature sensor while you were changing that hose.

Those are the obvious things that are down to human error - check them first and then you'll have to go through a proper fault finding procedure if you don't find anything.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:38   #26
James_N
VOC Member

i think i'm going to have to get it towed to a garage. My fuel pump relay has arrived but i'm not convinced thats the problem, i think its probably something i've knocked or something
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:17   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It certainly sounds that way - the fact it happened after you'd been doing the heater hose is too much of a coincidence to be ignored.

Can you get some underbonnet pics at all? It's possible someone on here may be able to spot something that saves you an expensive bill

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:29   #28
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It certainly sounds that way - the fact it happened after you'd been doing the heater hose is too much of a coincidence to be ignored.

Can you get some underbonnet pics at all? It's possible someone on here may be able to spot something that saves you an expensive bill
I'll have a go, and yes the fact its happened after i was messing about (changing the hose by feel as i couldn't see bloody anything) is too much of a coincidence!

I did actually have to sit on the engine at one point as i just couldn't reach, so i'm fairly certain ive dislodged something or knocked something! I just can't see what as everything looks the same!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 08:55   #29
James_N
VOC Member

The car has now been fixed. Drove it to work this morning.

It was a slightly more embarrassing problem than i thought and totally self caused!!

Thank you everyone for your help
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 09:13   #30
Veefor
VOC Member

Oh come on,don't leave us hanging.
What did you dislodge?
Sort of thing I would do,might help someone if they do it.
Promise we won't laugh 😉
Veefor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veefor For This Useful Post: