Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4702

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:07   #131
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I have "dealt with" more scams and wrongdoings than some people have had hot dinners.

In the process I have learnt to remember to look for that which is good in every person.

But you really should not describe yourself as old.
Being non-religious, i've altered what you said to how i normally approach life in general. When there is potential for scams or even a sniff of one, i tend to go into "scam until proven otherwise" mode.

So far, both methods have served me well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:12   #132
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Never alter what I say ....

Peace be with you.

I hope you never have to "deal with" the scammers et al of the ilk that I have dealt with.

I pray that by recognising that which is of God within them, some of them might have found the strength to change.

Please don't describe yourself as old.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 14th, 2018 at 13:18.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 21:57   #133
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Couldn't have helped you Laney as I've not dealt with fuel pump stuff. When mine plays up I'll probably replace it with a Walbro 255 and make it fit.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:09   #134
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Day 6 off the road now

The good - Rang the garage this morning, they said Volvos Reading had been able to order that part number / the pump and with any luck it would be delivered by Volvos this afternoon. Phone finally rings just now. The correct part got delivered to the garage

The bad - Garage opened the box, the new pump is damaged. Apparently there is a little white plastic fuel tube moulded into the part and this is all damaged

The ugly - Volvos said there isn't another one in the country and that a new one can't be got from abroad and delivered to my garage until at least Wednesday

Now that I know the part situation is sorted out I need to decide what I am going to do about work tomorrow

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:38   #135
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
The good - Rang the garage this morning, they said Volvos Reading had been able to order that part number / the pump and with any luck it would be delivered by Volvos this afternoon. Phone finally rings just now. The correct part got delivered to the garage

The bad - Garage opened the box, the new pump is damaged. Apparently there is a little white plastic fuel tube moulded into the part and this is all damaged

The ugly - Volvos said there isn't another one in the country and that a new one can't be got from abroad and delivered to my garage until at least Wednesday

Now that I know the part situation is sorted out I need to decide what I am going to do about work tomorrow
Putting my philosophical head on for a moment Laney, there seems to be a grand conspiracy against you driving that car in the early part of this week.
I'm a big believer in everything happening for a reason, sometimes that reason isn't obvious and the circumstances presented seem incredibly inconvenient but would prevent you being in a certain place at a certain time. Hopefully you'll look back on this in a weeks time and thank your lucky stars the Volvo was incapacitated this week!

It's now looking more like thursday that you'll have the car back (i'm glad they didn't specify which wednesday originally! ) so that leaves tomorrow, wednesday and thursday for you to sort transport for work. Alternatively, if you have any holiday left to come and you can take it at short notice and don't need it for anything else until the next holiday year starts, call it a well earned rest and take a couple of days of to de-stress!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 00:37   #136
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Well I am still waiting for a fuel pump from Volvo Reading! 10 days since I broke down now and 7 days since a fiuel pump was ordered from Volvos and they supplied a brand new (broken) one, the very last one in the UK apparently, and had to re-order one from Sweden

I spoke to a woman in charge at Volvos Reading who said it cannot be air freighted as it's part of a fuel system so it's taking a while to get here. I can't understand why a brand new component which has never been near a drop of petrol in it's life can't fly on a plane but there you have it!

I ought to count myself lucky as the garage has a newer Nissan than my Volvo which has been laid up in there for 6 weeks awaiting a part from Japan!

On the plus side, every cloud has a silver lining. I have learned this week that I can get to work and hold down my job even if I didn't have a car. I am travelling two hours each way and I work a nine hour day so it's very tough but I imagine I would get used to it and I am chuffed that I can be completely independent of my car and survive! Public transport is a joke, my journey should be a train and two buses but the second bus is so unreliable that my journey is a train, a bus and a 45 minute walk!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 00:50   #137
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

How about a train, a bus and a 15 minute bike ride?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Amma...e/232910322292

A real bummer that the part is taking so long to get here, on the upside the chances are that Nissan is also waiting for a fuel related part and the irony of that is if it's a post-2000 Nissan, chances are the part came from France (Renault) before going to Japan!

Did you mention the seal to them?

Fingers crossed for you that it lands soon and you're mobile again!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 17:08   #138
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post

I ought to count myself lucky as the garage has a newer Nissan than my Volvo which has been laid up in there for 6 weeks awaiting a part from Japan!

On the plus side, every cloud has a silver lining. I have learned this week that I can get to work and hold down my job even if I didn't have a car. I am travelling two hours each way and I work a nine hour day so it's very tough but I imagine I would get used to it and I am chuffed that I can be completely independent of my car and survive! Public transport is a joke, my journey should be a train and two buses but the second bus is so unreliable that my journey is a train, a bus and a 45 minute walk!
They should have put it on their tab at Harry's...

Hopefully it arrives soon and you do not need to faff around so much just getting to work.

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 16:57   #139
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

The part finally arrived on Tuesday, was fitted on Wednesday and I picked the car up on Wednesday evening!

A total of 15 days off the road! 11 days waiting for Volvos Reading to get the fuel pump, a long lead time for a main dealers

12th October - ordered fuel pump from Volvo Reading
15th October - they delivered it to my garage but it was broken and they said it was the last one in the UK and it would take 48 hours to get one from Sweden
23rd October - pump delivered to my garage in Henley

On the plus side the pump was the price quoted, about a hundred quid less than Scandix. I also had a new pump seal fitted

Thanks for all your help and advice everybody!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 20:15   #140
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you're mobile again Laney! If it's any consolation someone on another forum i'm on has been waiting the past 3 weeks for a timing belt, tensioner and water pump from Japn as the originals sent to him turned out to be wrong and for the older version of his vehicle.

It's a car of sorts but it also serves duty as his works van, grey import from Japan so pretty rare. His bits finally turned up on friday so he's had a cold weekend!

That aside, you won't know yourself not having to get 3 trains, two buses and a rickshaw to get to work now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: