Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Diesel on the way?

Views : 1316

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 19:32   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default New Diesel on the way?

Hi all,

I’m sure everyone’s familiar that after the S60 launched there wouldn’t be a new car launched with a Diesel engine, but I don’t think this means the end of the line for new Volvo diesel units. I heard from a friend who was at an engineering conference that Volvo is soon to announce updated Diesel units before 2018 is out...anyone else heard anything?

Think of it as version 2.0 of the current 2L units. Better performance,sound and economy.

AnotherV60
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 15:32   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Maybe, hopefully, something along the line of electrification of existing diesels?.. A D6 featuring a 24V-mild hybrid D5?

Given that (in Europe..) Volvo sales are still over 70% diesels- this would be a no-brainer IMO..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 20:13   #3
Whippy
Premier Member

Possibly something along the lines of VAG's new 'mild hybrid' system.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:13   #4
Haldex
Premier Member

Or Merc's 300de, a 48V system:

https://mercedesblog.com/306-hp-merc...el-advantages/
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 14:00   #5
MaDProFF
Master Member

Going to stick my neck out and say no:- Although I had read somewhere that Volvo were not investing any more money into deisal technology. so unless they are using original technology, but I got the impression they were phasing them out.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 14:29   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

big heavy cars are just too thirsty in petrol guise
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:35   #7
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
big heavy cars are just too thirsty in petrol guise
Which is why they are going hybrid
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 09:34   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

I would be amazed if a new diesel was to appear from Volvo. The market for these are shrinking world wide and diesel is becoming tainted as the "fuel of satan".
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 10:18   #9
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
I would be amazed if a new diesel was to appear from Volvo. The market for these are shrinking world wide and diesel is becoming tainted as the "fuel of satan".
Shrinking is not zero. Large chunk of Volvo customer base still has diesel as the best option (I am not one of them) And if you want to sell them you have to bring new tech. My bet is volvo marketing tells volvo PR to come up with a story to let the sell some diesel. Didn’t some British kid come up with a way to cut low speed emissions on diesel to nearly nothing? They were looking to license that.

A lot will depend on the narrative around diesel. Don’t be mistaken it was deliberately stoked. It was ingenious as the side that could give a good Defense was found to be cheats and had no credibility. I am not saying bad things didn’t happen but the reaction was like machine gunning someone for stepping on your toe - car manufacturers and most corporations cheat and get caught all the time - here there was something more at play hence the big scandal. Now if it was just to reduce the extreme competitiveness of the Germans against the Americans, then hopefully it’s done - continued development of diesels by them indicates it might be this. Another explanation could be to push the electric - not a natural competitor at all - but you free up enough customers some will buy electric. If the latter then negative narrative around diesels may carry on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 10:24   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Now if it was just to reduce the extreme competitiveness of the Germans against the Americans, then hopefully it’s done - continued development of diesels by them indicates it might be this. Another explanation could be to push the electric - not a natural competitor at all - but you free up enough customers some will buy electric. If the latter then negative narrative around diesels may carry on.
Well said. If I had to put my money on it- I'd say it's the former. And as you said- continued development of diesels is the proof..