Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An all electric XC90,Is it feasible and when?

Views : 3020

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2018, 11:07   #21
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvos first mass production electric vehicle will be here in 2019 ..
Doubtful.
MB have already announced their EQC SUV (ironically in Stockholm)'
(https://electrek.co/2018/09/04/merce...n-on-electric/)

The photos of the car indicates a boot capacity lower than that of the XC60 I think, so not a load-lugging rival for the XC60 and XC90. The indicated range figures mean a practical driving range of around 200 miles only, so not outstanding and not a concern for Tesla in that regard.

Elsewhere MB have said their production will begin next year, with sales beginning in the US in 2020.

MB's previous attempt, by adapting the ML range, severely reduced the boot capacity to accommodate the strapped-on batteries. If Volvo were to electrify the XC90, I hope they don't sacrifice luggage capacity - although that does seem to be current practice - hence the V90's style over substance.
(The V90 is attractive, but its raked rear end does restrict load capacity imo).
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 15:42   #22
Goodshot

Think they need to start looking at well over 200 miles to cater for range anxiety. Wonder why they don't try a big battery / small tank ice. 200 + electric miles plus a couple of gallons petrol would eliminate range anxiety.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 20:15   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Audi recently demonstrated their Audi e-tron SUV and MB their all electric SUV.

I am surprised Volvo ( who tend to be ahead of the curve in matters like this),are yet to show case their own electric SUV.

Makes me wonder if they are struggling a bit with the technology.

Anyone know if and when we can expect the electric XC90?
Anyway, hello Yeoman, not seen you post on here for ages and not seen your car round town for ages too. Thought you might have finally lost patience and part chopped it!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 20:23   #24
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Poor truck.
Indeed. Made a right mess of the truck.

Also, just looking again, it is interesting how the XC70's windscreen actually detaches at the top. Wonder if this was one with the defective sealant that caused them to leak?
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 20:36   #25
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
There is little doubt that electric cars are here to stay and will increasingly become popular.

I am keen to see what Volvo comes up with but at the moment the only electric car I would consider is the upcoming Audi e-tron SUV.
As I drove past Woodall Services on the M1 tonight I saw an all time record of 4 Teslas charging in their supercharger bays. Never seen more than 2 together before.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 23:16   #26
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Funny as we are in the top ten countries (6th.) of the world buying electric cars at present for 2017, and I think 2018 share is going to be bigger, if I was a car manufacturer with a possible market share like that I would want to be in there.
I imagine country wealth goes hand in hand with buying new tech, I own a full electric car and a plug in hybrid volvo, it's safe to say this country is somewhat behind. Public charging is practically non existant, motorways are covered, but with only 1-2 chargers, and often only one with a CSS plug as it gets popular it'll only be more inconvienet. A few years ago it was amazing, very little chance of someone charging, now it's quite easy to need a to wait a few hours to carry on your journey.

I've learned that full electric is just not viable first hand in the UK. Which is a shame, you can make it work great, but sadly its just via le yet, I know people with tesla's that have driven all over Europe yet in Wales the have to take the diesel volvo!

I'm looking forward to a volvo full electric, I just hope shell and BP will have rolled out nationwide rapid charging by thar point
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 10:33   #27
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Anyway, hello Yeoman, not seen you post on here for ages and not seen your car round town for ages too. Thought you might have finally lost patience and part chopped it!
Hi Phillip.

Was wondering the same about you recently.
I did have a fair amount of annual leave in the summer.

Was in Dubai and did not see a single XC90 over there which disappointed me (slightly).
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 13:09   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

One of the big drawbacks of owning an all elecric XC90 or any other make would be the cost of replacing a battery pack after its expected life, whether that will be the number of charges or number of years, which will vastly reduce the trade in or second hand value of your car.
The cost to replace these batteries is astranomical.
It would not make sense to buy an electric car, knowing how much it will devalue, so I predict most will be on PCH, and even then the future value after contract is up will be reduced so hire charges will be higher.
They would not make a very good second hand choice either knowing that you may face an unaffordable cost to replace the battery pack, reflecting in the second hand values.
Unless they come down in price significantly.

The other problem the country faces is we can not supply enough electricity for all these future electric cars, we barely manage now at peak winter times.

And the tax the government receives from fuel duty is massive something like £29 billion a year, and there will be the cost to put in infrastructure for electric cars.
They can not afford to lose that amount of revenue so will have to raise taxes some other way, tax electric cars ?, higher road fund licence cost ?, toll charges ?, congestion charges ?.

Who knows what the cost will be to us, rather than being a cheaper form of tranport we will all end up paying more, a lot more, the price we will have to pay for clean air I suppose, but then again producing all that electricity will just add more pollution or spoil our country side with wind farms or nuclear reactors.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 14:49   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Which will be a.......?
"Between 2019 and 2021, Volvo will introduce five 100% electric models, and ensure the rest of its conventional petrol and diesel range has a hybrid engine of some form. It is the first major manufacturer to make such a bold move.
Håkan Samuelsson, the Volvo chief executive, said: “This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car.”

The second of the fully electric cars ( first was C30 in 2012 ) will be the V40 replacement which is much nearer than the horizon …
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 14:53   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
One of the big drawbacks of owning an all elecric XC90 or any other make would be the cost of replacing a battery pack after its expected life, whether that will be the number of charges or number of years, which will vastly reduce the trade in or second hand value of your car.
The cost to replace these batteries is astranomical.
It would not make sense to buy an electric car, knowing how much it will devalue, so I predict most will be on PCH, and even then the future value after contract is up will be reduced so hire charges will be higher.
They would not make a very good second hand choice either knowing that you may face an unaffordable cost to replace the battery pack, reflecting in the second hand values.
Unless they come down in price significantly.

The other problem the country faces is we can not supply enough electricity for all these future electric cars, we barely manage now at peak winter times.

And the tax the government receives from fuel duty is massive something like £29 billion a year, and there will be the cost to put in infrastructure for electric cars.
They can not afford to lose that amount of revenue so will have to raise taxes some other way, tax electric cars ?, higher road fund licence cost ?, toll charges ?, congestion charges ?.

Who knows what the cost will be to us, rather than being a cheaper form of tranport we will all end up paying more, a lot more, the price we will have to pay for clean air I suppose, but then again producing all that electricity will just add more pollution or spoil our country side with wind farms or nuclear reactors.
The battery warranty is 8 years , You won't be buying a new battery , they will be reconditioned at a " Reasonable " cost…
Volvo in the UK already have facilities to recondition their batteries …

A new battery for an XC90 is £20,000 Probably artificially high to stop the amateur or anyone else getting his hands on one for his DIY project .