Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 rust / corrosion issues

Views : 2497

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 12:39   #1
tofufi
Premier Member

Default 940 rust / corrosion issues

Hi folks,

My brother is looking to buy a 940 at the moment.

He's found one he likes, but there's a bit of corrosion behind each of the front wheels...

The welding doesn't scare me off, this car is newer than any car I've ever owned... however, is this area likely to rot due to a specific problem like a water leak that we should be aware of?

It looks like there could have been water getting into the sill area, which could lead to much bigger problems down the line?

We'll go see the car tomorrow to get a better look at it, but just wondered if anyone had seen corrosion in this specific area before?

The seller seems to be being honest and has highlighted the issues in advance of us seeing it, which is positive!

EDIT: just compared with my 740, and it looks like the photos above are actually in front of the rear wheel...!

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited by tofufi; Oct 18th, 2018 at 12:58.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 14:28   #2
TonyS9
Premier Member

Not caused by any specific problem I am aware of. The sills do start to go after about 20 years if left outside.

My 95 has had a fair amount of welding. 1 particular problem I had was the lower rear (estate) window seals allowing water onto the inner wheel arch and causing significant rust there and into the rear cubby holes.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 21:55   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

i spent £400 on welding cills patched up plus cross member rotten and other bits near rear wheel archs but still running 258000 miles
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:00   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
EDIT: just compared with my 740, and it looks like the photos above are actually in front of the rear wheel...!

Cheers,
Jim.
Got to agree Jim, it does look more like the back end, highly possible the seller made a mistake and simply forgot it was the back end and put the front in his description as he couldn't remember. Also possible that both the front and back ends are corroded and he sent the pics of the rear as they're worse.

If the car is up for a reasonable price and you know you can do the welding, go and have a look at it and give it a very thorough inspection for rust including the outriggers under the front footwells then use whatever welding you find to beat the price down. If you find other mechanical faults along the way, they can be used to drop the price further - also check round the battery tray area both sides from underneath, there is a water trap there as i'm sure you know anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:12   #5
tofufi
Premier Member

Cheers folks, will be going to look at it this afternoon.

Fingers crossed
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:14   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I am not hearing that such cars are all corroded. So. There will be another car for sale now or soon. With less or far less corrosion. So. What does your brother really want?

P.S. Winter tyres will be fitted to those wheels you kindly sold me and fitted to the car in about 14 days or so.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:17.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:19   #7
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I am not hearing that such cars are all corroded. So. There will be another car for sale now or soon. With less or far less corrosion. So. What does your brother really want?

True, and mine isn't corroded there. But my brother is looking for a given spec and with a limited budget. We'll see how it goes - the corrosion in the pics isn't too severe, but there could be more horrors which we find when seeing the car
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:49   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Often worth the comromise of having to do some work (welding and/or mechanical) to get the spec you want Jim - you know that with your 740 and the air-con!

Also worth remembering that if one car has rust in a particular area, there's every chance a more expensive one either has or will have rust in the same area at some point. Sometimes a grotty but honest car is the much better bet over a bright and shiny car that could be (and probably is) hiding all kinds of grot, rot and bodges.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 15:00   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
.... a grotty but honest car is the much better bet over a bright and shiny car that could be (and probably is) hiding all kinds of grot, rot and bodges. ....

Absolutely yes. I agree.

And a known rusty car is someone else's problem more so than a mechanical problem. The buyer does get the chance to make sure there is a good repair done. But the seller has not thought it worthwhile to get it fixed.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 18:10   #10
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
... however, is this area likely to rot due to a specific problem like a water leak that we should be aware of?.
There is something about the normal flow of water (+road salt) that causes them to begin rusting around those sill jacking points.
Yours has gone a bit far ... I caught mine with some rust converter and filler last year.
Just a common thing, and far far better at resisting the inevitable rot than any other old car I've owned.

Edit : mine was the back end jacking point, left side, now that it is part of the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post: