Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

alternator bracket for B18 engine

Views : 978

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2014, 22:03   #1
Kustom120

Default alternator bracket for B18 engine

Hi folks the dynamo has let go on our amazon so I want to replace it with a alternator ,I have a new one but need the bracket to bolt to the engine,
Can anyone help cheers Andy
Kustom120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 23:42   #2
loon

what type block do you have? if its the early type you will need a conversion bracket, if it is the late type then there is a area beside the timing cover that has 2 treaded holes, then you need the OEM bracket.
you will also need the adjuster for the top mount of the alternator,
is the alternator that you have an internal or external regulator?

the reason for the questions is that I may have all the bits you need.

and before anyone says anything,

the stuff iv got is the conversion kit's I used to sell to brookhouse, so yes they are the same and not a copy.

cheers LooN
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loon For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 10:09   #3
Kustom120

Hi Loon the car is a 1968 B18 engine ,the dynamo looks stock with the external regulator on the inner wing ,checked it last night and no out put from dynamo
Car hadnt ran for a year and it was ok before it lay ,poss brushes in dynamo but rather than fix it I thought might as well upgrade it.
Will have a look at the extra holes you are talking about.
If you think I need the adjuster bar too put that aside as well.
Tried to find my old thread to add some pics but said something about administors
Here is some pics ,I know you like a wee Kustom

Cheers Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Kustom120 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 00:20   #4
loon

this might help

Nice bit of flake there BTW.
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 10:55   #5
Kustom120

Thanks mate,the roof is going to match too.
I didn 't know the alternator was on the opposite side .
I am going to see if I can mount the new alternator in the same place,I have done this before with early ford crossflows
If this cant work then the other side it is.
Loon can you help me with plain petrol cap for the tank I have a locking one but am not happy with the look or the fit
Also at some point I wont mind a better pair of doors as the inner skin is starting to split at the top of the doors at the hinges,if these prove too hard to get I shall bite the bullet and repair my own.
Heres what I done yesterday,full day repairing the rear chassis legs where the bumper irons bolt to the chassis and flipping the rear bumper,more work than I first thought but happy with the results Cheers for your help ,,,Andy

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 15:35   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The very last B18 engines had the boss for fitting the alternator bracket but only the 123GT got the alternator. If you look just behind Loon's alternator you'll see the top one of the two holes for the mounting bracket. If your block has these you can just use the bracket and standard Volvo alternator as used on all B20 engines. Having said that, if you want to keep it custom, a small alternator can be fitted in place of the dynamo by modifying the dynamo bracket or getting a custom one bought (Scandcar for example) or made.

E.G. http://kilogolfalpha.blogspot.co.uk/

Is this car still around?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 22:21   #7
Kustom120

Thanks for the links,I removed the dynamo and mounted the alternator on the adjuster bar where I want it to sit ,
A wee bit of work and I shall make a bracket to mount the new alternator to the block.
I could buy one but it doesnt look to hard to make it
Thanks again Guys for all your help so far Andy