Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuttering, High comsumption | HELP NEEDED

Views : 1569

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2016, 11:19   #1
Crazylachesus

Question Stuttering, High comsumption | HELP NEEDED

Hi,

I've bought a V50 2.0d 4 months ago (2006 model, euro 4 DPF). The car had a slight stuttering at low RMP-s and low engine load (mostly when cruising, or when accelerating delicatly). This was kind of intermittent, sometimes it went away almost completly, sometimes it could get very bad, causing massive yanking. Other symptom was that the car sometimes lost all power. There was no light on the dashboard, but even if I floored the gas, the car would just accelerate very very slowly like i was just barely touching the gas pedal. After shutting down the engine, and starting it up again, the power came back instantly. Also, after cold starting I had a very rough, jumpy idle for a minute or so. Moreover after a few tanks of diesel, i realised that the car's consumption is very high. On the 4th tank, I got around 27 MPG. I tried to read error codes with a generic odbII scanner, but there were none. After a while I got very frustrated, so I disconnected the MAF sensor. Suddenly the car felt very different. It was much stronger on low revs, NO stuttering AT ALL, and hey: the consumption went down about 2 liters /100km (38 MPG). So I drove the car like this, and ordered a new MAF sensor. Unfortunately after fitting it in, the same lumpyness and high consumption returned. After this i have disconnected the EGR and the car ran great again. However If everything is connected, all of the problems return. I even get a symptom after a cold start, the car would just not accelerate at all. And suddenly after a few seconds it wakes up and return to normal. I checked the EGR pipe that goes to the intake, and it was hot just after 2 minutes after cold start. I'm not sure, but i have heard that the egr should not redirect exhaust gases until the engine is warmed up. Could this be a faulty ECM? I have called the volvo garage that serviced the car for the previous owner, and the EGR has just been changed 6 months ago, and we even inspected it, it seems brand new. The DPF also got a cleaning and the eolys topped up ~8 months ago. Does anybody has any clue what could case these annoying smpytoms and how to fix them? I'm also going to visit a mechanic today, i'll update the thread when i get new information.

Thanks and best regards,
Balin

Last edited by Crazylachesus; Nov 17th, 2016 at 11:24.
Crazylachesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:18   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

You really need to get the vides read with Volvo or Volvo compatible equipment - and all sensor values checked.

It does sound like it could be a leak on the intake system - I would check all hoses and blank off the EGR as well as removing the plug.

You haven't mentioned it but are you getting any black smoke on acceleration?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 09:56   #3
Crazylachesus

Hi,

I got the codes read by a volvo compatible software (not vida) and it did show an egr related fault: P1335: EGR position sensor minimum/maximum stop performance

Also we checked the sensor values from EGR and MAF sensors. On startup the EGR goes haywire, after a while it stabilizes. But the MAF shows around 5kg/hour intake on idle, and that number decreases as you apply more gas. Around 3000 rpm the MAF value goes almost to 0. We are now going to test it with a different MAF and maybe a different EGR. As the egr has just been changed less then a year ago, I really don't see how can that be bad. I did blank the EGR and unplugged the connector. The car runs fine this way (very minial stuttering at cruising speed sometimes), but the consumption is showing high numbers (~ 27 MPG). Weird thing is, if I unplug the EGR and the MAF at the same time, and after that I plug in the MAF, the consumption returns to normal but after a while (around 100 km) it suddenly goes bad again. But it can also return to normal on it's own. So with EGR off, and the MAF connected the car still acts weird. I'll visit the same mechanic on Thursday we'll also check for intake/boost leaks. I take any other advice or guess gladly!

Best regards,
Balint
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 18:54   #4
Crazylachesus

Sorry forgot to mention that I can't see any black smoke during acceleration, although the car is DPF equipped, so it might be covering the symptoms.
Old May 24th, 2023, 07:25   #5
Lukaaaaaa

Hey!
I have the exact same symptoms. Did you figure out what the problem was? Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazylachesus View Post
Hi,

I've bought a V50 2.0d 4 months ago (2006 model, euro 4 DPF). The car had a slight stuttering at low RMP-s and low engine load (mostly when cruising, or when accelerating delicatly). This was kind of intermittent, sometimes it went away almost completly, sometimes it could get very bad, causing massive yanking. Other symptom was that the car sometimes lost all power. There was no light on the dashboard, but even if I floored the gas, the car would just accelerate very very slowly like i was just barely touching the gas pedal. After shutting down the engine, and starting it up again, the power came back instantly. Also, after cold starting I had a very rough, jumpy idle for a minute or so. Moreover after a few tanks of diesel, i realised that the car's consumption is very high. On the 4th tank, I got around 27 MPG. I tried to read error codes with a generic odbII scanner, but there were none. After a while I got very frustrated, so I disconnected the MAF sensor. Suddenly the car felt very different. It was much stronger on low revs, NO stuttering AT ALL, and hey: the consumption went down about 2 liters /100km (38 MPG). So I drove the car like this, and ordered a new MAF sensor. Unfortunately after fitting it in, the same lumpyness and high consumption returned. After this i have disconnected the EGR and the car ran great again. However If everything is connected, all of the problems return. I even get a symptom after a cold start, the car would just not accelerate at all. And suddenly after a few seconds it wakes up and return to normal. I checked the EGR pipe that goes to the intake, and it was hot just after 2 minutes after cold start. I'm not sure, but i have heard that the egr should not redirect exhaust gases until the engine is warmed up. Could this be a faulty ECM? I have called the volvo garage that serviced the car for the previous owner, and the EGR has just been changed 6 months ago, and we even inspected it, it seems brand new. The DPF also got a cleaning and the eolys topped up ~8 months ago. Does anybody has any clue what could case these annoying smpytoms and how to fix them? I'm also going to visit a mechanic today, i'll update the thread when i get new information.

Thanks and best regards,
Balin
Lukaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:00   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazylachesus View Post
Hi,

Thanks and best regards,
Balin
take a look at the turbo control valve i had this kind of problem on my 2.0d c70 . if you end up replacing it make sure to get a genuine one as i had problems with a cheap ebay one . got a genuine one which stopped al stuttering and jerkiness
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:12   #7
ElektronikCZ

Hi,
i have the exact same issues you described in this post.

How did you solve them? Was it faulty wiring? Thanks
ElektronikCZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr, jolting, maf, problem, stuttering