Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant temp ?

Views : 1704

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2018, 11:38   #1
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Coolant temp ?

Just wondering what the coolant temp should be when warmed up, im seeing 70c on a petrol 2L (the ford/mazda) engine (07 year) C30 seems a bit low to me? what should you see (im reading it thru an OBD adapter from the ecu)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 13:20   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Operating temperature is a degree or two below thermostat rating so if they still put the thermostat opening temperature in the owner's handbook, check that.
Mine is a 90°C thermostat so coolant temperature hovers around 88-89°C once warmed up and stays there.

Regardless, 70°C sounds low for any engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 16:58   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Question update

Thanks cheshired, did a longer run with it and it got up to 80c.. i did find the following in the volvo handbook,

The thermostat starts opening at:
90 ºC in petrol engines, and at 82 ºC in diesel
engines.
petrol engine (1.6) 82 ºC
diesel engine (1.6D) 83 ºC

so looks like 90c it should be, curious.. could the stat be faulty or is this difference normal?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 18:17   #4
oragex
Premier Member

See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQxQnuU22Ow

I think you should have around 85C on just cruising down the road, and close to 87-90C after an acceleration.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 19:21   #5
Thassos
GoldMember

Question stat

Would anyone have a diagram or info from vida of where the stat is located?, engine is a petrol 2L B4204S3, (2007)..

Noticed on some other posts talk about a secondary bypass coolant valve controlled by the ecu, but this was a diesel so not sure if petrol engine has the same, maybe the mechanical stat is stuck open so its not getting up to 90c quickly, the video implies this might happen after very cold weather, or 10 years both of which apply.. but couldn't find any posts on here so maybe its not a very common fault?
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 12:56   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Would anyone have a diagram or info from vida of where the stat is located?, engine is a petrol 2L B4204S3, (2007)

The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 18:31   #7
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Real world readings and that gauge on the dash ..

Many thanks cheshired, perfect !,,

Have been doing some further checking and felt the temperature on the various hoses, the large rad pipe coming out of the stat on the lhs doesnt get hot as the engine warms from cold, the other smaller pipe coming off the stat does, as do the 2 small tubes that run to the expansion bottle around the edge of the bonnet release area, so this leads me to conclude the stat is infact not stuck open, when driving i was able to see a max temp of 85c using the obd maybe it just takes a long time to get there.

One thing i did learn is that the temp gauge on the dash isnt really like a traditional gauge and has some big software tweaking going on , as it stays in the vertical position from 70 up to 85, with no movement, is more like a confidence gauge (vertical is temp in expected range kinda thing), so you probably wouldnt get much of a clue if it only reached 70c..

Did some tests also on my D5 diesel and this stabilises at 88 to 90c on the run, but also takes a fair time to get there when idling which i guess you would expect, but seems petrol and diesel coolant temps are not too different..
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 20:03   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

My D5 diesel can go from 9°C ambient garage temperature to 89°C normal engine temperature in 3 to 4km driving, whereby the last 1km is uphill.

But my diesel does have the fuel-burning engine heater fitted
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, temp