Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 - Dent in the door.panel....from the inside!

Views : 389

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 16:20   #1
37 RUBY
Master Member

Default XC70 - Dent in the door.panel....from the inside!

Today I throw some soap and water in the weekly keep it clean routine.

I find on the rear offside door at the hinge side a dent and a bizarre one at that bearing in mind I wash it weekly and this wasn't there 8 days ago coupled with the fact no work has ever taken place on this door or any other door for that matter....something internal is likely to have caused the outward protrusion. If you look close to the left and down you can see a scuff which looks like some kind soul has opened their door on mine....but what an earth could be in there to cause that?

I already have a dent man available who is an expert at massaging metal but will need to remedy what caused this in the first place.

Has anyone peered in that location when fixing something and is aware of a stud/lug or protrusion in there?

Car is as per signature.

[IMG]IMG_20200118_150625 by Dave Price, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_20200118_150634 by Dave Price, on Flickr[/IMG]
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 00:23   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

This looks like some glass has gotten caught in between the protection bar and door skin at some point.

Is the skin moveable right on that high spot? if not then its prob glass and it will need to be removed before its tapped down as it could cause more damage when trying to tap the dent down. to be honest, that looks very close to a "not possible to PDR" job, looks like its stretched it...

I have seen wind damage before where its caught the door and its put strain on the hinge area or by the check strap
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:34   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Thanks for reply Bashy.... Very apt name considering the nature of the post.

I suspect you're right re debri of some sorts although the window in that door along with all other body glass is original.

Re "PDR or not PDR"... I've seen similar rectified by paint less repair when people have dropped bonnets on objects.

I could accept it if my garage or I had been working on it in the past and there was possibility for a component/tool/debris to have entered the door cavity. No person has worked that part of the car to. My knowledge . I've not had the window down since July last summer. There have been no rattles, nothing.

It's just a bizarre occurrence of which this is the 2nd starting with a pebble placed, yes placed, under my passenger side wiper at Christmas.
Washed the car Christmas Eve day which included thorough cleaning of screen. Car parked and not moved until I go to work in early hours of day after Boxing day. Put wipers on... Scrawkkkk!!...stop wipers. Wedged under blade is a flatish pebble size of your finger nail. Made a lovely scratch in windscreen that you could get your finger nail into. It's been temporarily polished out with 3000 grit and jewellers rouge. New screen required.

If I find a pebble wedged in there, I shall have to consider that the Pebble Poltergeist is present... any Priests available for exorcism.

Either way it's unsightly so will have to be done.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 13:02   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Thanks for reply Bashy.... Very apt name considering the nature of the post.

I suspect you're right re debri of some sorts although the window in that door along with all other body glass is original.

Re "PDR or not PDR"... I've seen similar rectified by paint less repair when people have dropped bonnets on objects.

I could accept it if my garage or I had been working on it in the past and there was possibility for a component/tool/debris to have entered the door cavity. No person has worked that part of the car to. My knowledge . I've not had the window down since July last summer. There have been no rattles, nothing.

It's just a bizarre occurrence of which this is the 2nd starting with a pebble placed, yes placed, under my passenger side wiper at Christmas.
Washed the car Christmas Eve day which included thorough cleaning of screen. Car parked and not moved until I go to work in early hours of day after Boxing day. Put wipers on... Scrawkkkk!!...stop wipers. Wedged under blade is a flatish pebble size of your finger nail. Made a lovely scratch in windscreen that you could get your finger nail into. It's been temporarily polished out with 3000 grit and jewellers rouge. New screen required.

If I find a pebble wedged in there, I shall have to consider that the Pebble Poltergeist is present... any Priests available for exorcism.

Either way it's unsightly so will have to be done.
It may PDR out but im my experience with silver paintwork, it normally leaves what i call a shadow as its stretched somewhat :/