Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Losing coolant

Views : 1280

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 09:23   #1
Wiltshire biker

Default Losing coolant

I have a 2010 V70 D3, bought new as a company car.
Since early in ownership, we have needed to top up the coolant (approx 0.75l) every 4-8 weeks. After a few stalled investigations, the local dealer replaced the cyclinder head under warrantly. Unfortunately, this didn't cure the problem as another 6 weeks later, the red warning light came on again.
Further investigations identified various hoses and the thermostat was also replaced. A further 6 weeks or so later, my familiar red light was back on again. The next set of investigations resulted in the radiator being replaced. Six weeks later, I had that nice red dashboard glow again!
The car is back in for more 'investigations' & fault finding etc.
Being in the lucky position of this being a company car, I hadn't seen any bills until the fleet manager mentioned that the hose & thermostat replacement had cost over £600 and that this time, Volvo were contributing towards the cost of the radiator. I was quite shocked and wrote to the dealer asking for an explanation.
The local manager called me and told me that each leak was different and that it was a 'known fault' with this engine.
Forgive me for being cynical, but a different fault resulting in the same rate of leakage doesn't seem overly likely to me. I have scanned this forum and elswhere on the web and have not found any suggestion that this is a common or known fault with this engine. Has anyone else heard this?
Wiltshire biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:31   #2
cyborgguy

Hi do you have any update on this?
I recently got a 2011 s60 d3 which is also losing coolant ,warranty is out in 2 months time so I need to bring it to the dealers attention soon!
I don't think my rate of loss is as bad as your though, how many miles a week do you drive?
cyborgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 00:51   #3
oragex
Premier Member

That is strange.. if it's not the head, then maybe a crack in the block leaking inside the cylinders?
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 04:06   #4
zerocool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
That is strange.. if it's not the head, then maybe a crack in the block leaking inside the cylinders?
^ only thing i could come up with? however you would think the dealership would pressure test the coolant system and spot a leak , does the car ever blow white smoke from the exhaust pipe? Also i assume you never notice any puddles of coolant under the car? meh , must be head gasket issue. check for white smoke from the exhaust pipe.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, v70