Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For your viewing pleasure my lumpy running V40

Views : 6436

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 22:11   #1
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Default For your viewing pleasure my lumpy running V40

My car is running very lumpy and low on power, tickover will die if i don't keep the revs above 1k and it cuts out when approaching junctions or traffic lights unless i do some fast footed brake and throttle dancing.

Unplugging the MAF stops it dying but kills my power so i cant accelerate at all and i have to back right off the throttle and feather it to limp along. (Understandable if the engine doesnt know what the Air/Fuel ratio should be.).

I have a MAF and a MAP sensor for the Inlet manifold on the way on monday which i hope will help (the MAP was showing as a problem on the DICE scan we did at Gatos' house earlier in the week - which il attach to this post).

It also seems to occasionally make a spluttering sound from the front of the engine somewhere like at the left hand side (as you stand facing the car)/ first cylinder/inlet manifold like a strange misfire.
Unplugging the VVT sensor makes it go away, and occasionally i get the VVT noise that some have spoken about and again unplugging it makes it go away.

I removed and cleaned the VVT Sensor and couldnt see anything wrong with it and swapped the MAP sensor in the inlet manifold (the one showing a problematic on DICE with the one in the turbo intercooler) with no noticeable improvements.

Heres a couple of videos from today,
The first shows unplugging and replugging the MAF and VVT sensor and it ticks over ok so i tun the engine off and try to restart and cant get it to stay running so do some unplugging/replugging of the MAF and VVT sensor shown in video 2

http://youtu.be/RYluD8dI2RA/

http://youtu.be/5REnwMzPOEs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf neil 2.pdf (38.4 KB, 9 views)

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)

Last edited by Neil H; Jan 3rd, 2014 at 22:22.
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 23:12   #2
Matt86
Premier Member

That's a poorly motor! Deffo for the VVT noise as you already know. Hopefully the MAF will cure a lot of those problems as they tend to make all sorts of things go hay-wire.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 23:18   #3
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Yeah i gotta sort out the running, and when/if thats straightened out i'll move on to the VVT noise if it still exists.
Ive got my MOT coming up in March and I'm right on the fence as whether to persevere or just sell it for breaking or repair and look for another V40.
So this MAF and MAP sensor will help decide that.

London, UK
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 23:52   #4
Matt86
Premier Member

The VVT noise will still carry on afterwards as it's the VVT Pulley that's gone so that'll cost about £150 for the part alone... Then add on about 4-5 hours labour so gets a little pricey unless you can sort it yourself. I think they are some guides available here which will help.

Hopefully once the MAF is sorted and it appears to run ok it might get through the MOT with only a couple little bits that need doing and maybe just advisories.

Really down to time, money and personal choice if you want to get all the problems sorted. Most people here (Myself included) love our Volvos and will carry on repairing them. I've still got adjust the valve lifters on mine, replace the VVT, change the timing belt, water pump, pulleys etc etc and it'll cost me at least £500 in parts, thankfully the labour isn't a problem because I'll do all this myself and the car only cost me £200.

So the question is, Can you afford to spend the time on the car and do you really want to spend the money on it? Hopefully the MAF will cure most your problems.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 23:59   #5
Neil H
New V40 Owner

VVT wise it doesn't make a noise all the time and I only captured it in video 1 and aftet replugging and unplugging the sensor after that it wouldn't make the noise again.
I'm not fussed about the noise if it won't do any harm to the car, I just want it to run smoothly if I can sort it that far I might call it a day and look for another .

London, UK
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 00:21   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Wow..... When you came over the difference with the vvt solenoid being plugged and unplugged was hardly noticeable.

See what happens with the replacement MAAF and MAP and after cleaning the TB and the ICV and fresh new oil.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 00:42   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

No mention of an Engine Coolant Temp sensor?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 00:45   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
No mention of an Engine Coolant Temp sensor?
ECT? What are you thinking Baffy?

Nullius in Verba
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 01:04   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Over fuelling due to a duff or aftermarket ECT sensor...and sending mixed messages back to the other sensors etc.

A very dirty throttle body butterfly valve and idle control valve can give similar symptoms at idle.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 01:10   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Over fuelling due to a duff or aftermarket ECT sensor...and sending mixed messages back to the other sensors etc.

A very dirty throttle body butterfly valve and idle control valve can give similar symptoms at idle.
Fair point. In that case Neil, ask Malteser if he still has the spare ECT I've sent him. If he has it, he can bring it along with the rest of the stuff so you can try it out...

Nullius in Verba

Tags
maf, map, v40, vvt