Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GDI Engine and Pipercross Induction Kit

Views : 1119

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2014, 15:57   #1
NerdyKitt

Question GDI Engine and Pipercross Induction Kit

Afternoon all,

Been using these forums for a while now to answer my Volvo related questions and finally found a question I couldn't answer by searching. Signed up and am now looking to tap into the unlimited wealth of knowledge here.

I have a 2001 S40 with a GDI engine (B4184SJ) which was ready for a service. As a fan of the induction roar I bought a Pipercross cone induction kit only to find that it won't fit on the end of the mass air flow sensor. I used to have a slightly older S40 (B4184S2 if i remember correctly) which had a different air flow sensor which I fitted with a cheapy universal induction kit.

If I found one of the older mass air flow sensors, could I swap out the current one on my GDI and would it work correctly?

If anyone has any advice on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 17:51   #2
Mount vision rider
Master Member

Silicone hose reducer 👍

Old Mar 1st, 2014, 18:48   #3
NerdyKitt

Thanks mate but you have a different maf sensor than on mine.

This is my maf sensor which has a square end rather than round.

What I wondered about doing was replacing the maf sensor on mine for the same one you have them the induction kit would fit fine. My only concern is whether it would send the ECU batty.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0008.jpg (245.5 KB, 73 views)
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 19:15   #4
Mount vision rider
Master Member

Oh I see you point. That is abit of a problem! I can't help you there. I don't know enough about them 😞
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 19:57   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyKitt View Post
Afternoon all,

Been using these forums for a while now to answer my Volvo related questions and finally found a question I couldn't answer by searching. Signed up and am now looking to tap into the unlimited wealth of knowledge here.

I have a 2001 S40 with a GDI engine (B4184SJ) which was ready for a service. As a fan of the induction roar I bought a Pipercross cone induction kit only to find that it won't fit on the end of the mass air flow sensor. I used to have a slightly older S40 (B4184S2 if i remember correctly) which had a different air flow sensor which I fitted with a cheapy universal induction kit.

If I found one of the older mass air flow sensors, could I swap out the current one on my GDI and would it work correctly?

If anyone has any advice on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Fit a microphone near the OEM tuned intake and connect it to a PA system ??

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 08:06   #6
andytyler99

not the most helpful comment i know but having had an old gdi for 4 years i would suggest if the system works... dont mess with it. keep it filled with 99 octane and hope for the best
andytyler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andytyler99 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 23:02   #7
NerdyKitt

Thumbs up

Cheers everyone. Came to the same conclusion in the end myself tbh. Got a normal panel filter from local supplier and sent the Pipercross back.

Was told that Pipercross don't make an induction kit for the GDI engine and had some advice from my Dad years ago to always keep a car standard ringing in the back of my head.

Car runs lovely, just a couple of other niggles to sort out and I'll be happy.

Hopefully a valet this weekend seeing as we finally have some sun!
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 19:38   #8
andytyler99

Default dads advice

just read your post about your dad saying keep it standard and just realised thats what i was suggesting and i must be sounding like my dad did years ago...... so my revised advice paint go faster stripes on it, bodykit, big alloys and straight through exhaust with 4" pipe. thats it i feel young again
andytyler99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gdi, induction, maf, pipercross, s40