Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with "Engine System Service"

Views : 4138

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2015, 21:13   #1
Coldrow

Default Help with "Engine System Service"

Last weekend towing my boat (1.5 ton) on a 400 mile round trip I had the "Engine System Service Required" message and had to endure Limp Mode... Not fun doing 30 MPH on an incline on the M1. My XC90 is MY2006 with the 185bhp D5 engine.

Anyway, fault cleared itself over the weekend but towing back it reappeared about 50 miles into my journey. Thought to myself just get the boat and car back home so I can plug it in and see whats what.

I was due a service which I should have done before going but work pressures meant I didn't have time to before i went. On plugging into VIDA I had codes referring to MAF, Swirl Actuator, Boost Pressure and EGR. I guessed my EGR was caked up and probably my MAF was weak (130k). I set about performing a full service along with a full EGR clean and Purchased a can of MAF cleaner.

Once all the manual work was done I reset the DTC's and performed Adaptations on the MAF, EGR and Swirl Arm. The Swirl arm was replaced 4 months ago BTW and is working fine.

So everything seemed to be fine, performance great, smooth as a silk cod piece.

To facilitate the cleaning of my EGR I was giving the car an "Italian Tune" IE a damn good thrashing in manual mode to clear out any lurking carbon deposits in the intake system but then the "Engine System Service Required" message flashed up and moments later Limp mode was on.

Codes read as follows.

ECM-135F Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Signal too high.

ECM-18B0 Swirl Actuator control - Offset Fault.

ECM-6664 Glow relay control - Faulty signal.

Now I'm leaning towards the MAF at 130K miles old being past it's best but don't have any experience as to whether it would throw up faults with the Swirl Actuator.

The Glow relay error was a new fault not present after the weekend when I towed. Not sure about this one..

Obviously don't want to blow a load of cash just replacing stuff so after the good advice from this board if anyone can help?

Thanks

Last edited by Coldrow; Jun 21st, 2015 at 21:16.
Coldrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 21:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrow View Post
Last weekend towing my boat (1.5 ton) on a 400 mile round trip I had the "Engine System Service Required" message and had to endure Limp Mode... Not fun doing 30 MPH on an incline on the M1. My XC90 is MY2006 with the 185bhp D5 engine.

Anyway, fault cleared itself over the weekend but towing back it reappeared about 50 miles into my journey. Thought to myself just get the boat and car back home so I can plug it in and see whats what.

I was due a service which I should have done before going but work pressures meant I didn't have time to before i went. On plugging into VIDA I had codes referring to MAF, Swirl Actuator, Boost Pressure and EGR. I guessed my EGR was caked up and probably my MAF was weak (130k). I set about performing a full service along with a full EGR clean and Purchased a can of MAF cleaner.

Once all the manual work was done I reset the DTC's and performed Adaptations on the MAF, EGR and Swirl Arm. The Swirl arm was replaced 4 months ago BTW and is working fine.

So everything seemed to be fine, performance great, smooth as a silk cod piece.

To facilitate the cleaning of my EGR I was giving the car an "Italian Tune" IE a damn good thrashing in manual mode to clear out any lurking carbon deposits in the intake system but then the "Engine System Service Required" message flashed up and moments later Limp mode was on.

Codes read as follows.

ECM-135F Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Signal too high.

ECM-18B0 Swirl Actuator control - Offset Fault.

ECM-6664 Glow relay control - Faulty signal.

Now I'm leaning towards the MAF at 130K miles old being past it's best but don't have any experience as to whether it would throw up faults with the Swirl Actuator.

The Glow relay error was a new fault not present after the weekend when I towed. Not sure about this one..

Obviously don't want to blow a load of cash just replacing stuff so after the good advice from this board if anyone can help?

Thanks
When the Mass Air Flow code and Swirl code come together it is always a problem with the swirl system . perhaps the motor is siezed or a problem with the long swirl throttle spindle under the top cover . I assume the link rod between motor and swirl quardrant is connected ok .. Take the ball joint off the motor and work the swirl by hand see what it feels like .

It is very risky squirting the Air Mass meter with anything , I have seen two ruined by doing this and at £300 a risky thing to do !
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 21:29   #3
Coldrow

Thanks Clan, I performed an Adaptation on the Swirl Arm and watched it move freely. Like I mentioned it was all replaced and cleaned 4 months ago.

The garage did this job for me though while fitting a new rocker gasket for me.

I'll pop the link arm off and see what it feels like and report back.

Also the only time I've had the Limp mode is when the engine is under a lot of load. Surely the Swirl arm would be apparent in light and heavy driving conditions?

Edit: Just checked the Swirl Flap movement manually and it seems fine..

Last edited by Coldrow; Jun 21st, 2015 at 21:56.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 09:46   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan, I performed an Adaptation on the Swirl Arm and watched it move freely. Like I mentioned it was all replaced and cleaned 4 months ago.

The garage did this job for me though while fitting a new rocker gasket for me.

I'll pop the link arm off and see what it feels like and report back.

Also the only time I've had the Limp mode is when the engine is under a lot of load. Surely the Swirl arm would be apparent in light and heavy driving conditions?

Edit: Just checked the Swirl Flap movement manually and it seems fine..
I assume you have read the fault tracing for these codes ..? The Air mass one is there because of the swirl throttle one , which indicates the swirl adaption is not correct . Are you sure the shaft moves the full extent of it's stroke?

You have to get that sorted before thinking about the air mass code . One of the causes of the air mass code IS a faulty air mass meter , but the swirl adaption code has to be sorted first .

Air mass readout is about 53 kg/hr idling warm , it will lower when egr valve opens so ignore that .
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 13:31   #5
Coldrow

Clan, Thanks for persevering with me.

I didn't dig into the explanations in VIDA so I will do a more thorough check tonight. I agree I need to bottom the Swirl DTC before the MAF DTC but as I'm new to reading codes I didn't know if one was symptomatic of the other if you get what I'm saying.

Whats bugging me is it was the garage who replaced the Swirl linkage so I have no idea of how thorough he was whilst doing it. I usually do all my own work but sometimes I just don't have the time....

If it does turn out to be the Swirl flaps I'll be mightily pee'd off....

EDIT: About the Glow relay fault, I also have code CCM-0040 Air Quality sensor internal fault, could these two be linked?

Last edited by Coldrow; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 13:34.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 13:42   #6
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:

EDIT: About the Glow relay fault, I also have code CCM-0040 Air Quality sensor internal fault, could these two be linked?
No.

The Air Quality Sensor fault is something to be found on every Volvo of above about 5 years of age

Nothing to worry about.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 22:19   #7
Coldrow

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Air mass readout is about 53 kg/hr idling warm , it will lower when egr valve opens so ignore that .

OK, hooked up the Dice tonight and ran a few tests monitoring engine speed, MAF - Kg/hr, coolant temp and swirl actuator.

I'm now pretty certain my MAF is to blame. It is only reading around 27Kg/hr on tick-over @75 deg but after a couple of minutes will jump to around 45Kg/hr. Blip the throttle and it settles back at 27kg/hr eventually jumping to 45kg/hr after a couple of minutes steady idle. That can't be right can it?

I retested the swirl actuator and the arm moves freely to each bump stop using just the tip of my finger.

So, what to try next? do I stump up for a new MAF?

On a side note after playing with VIDA/Dice for a while what a cracking piece of kit it is!!

Last edited by Coldrow; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 22:21.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 23:54   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Here are the MAF figures for a Euro3 D5 in grams per second whilst stationary. You can extrapolate to kg/hr.
Idle 13
1000 20
2000 47
3000 68
4000 90

Euro 4 may be slightly different but note the fairly linear rise in airflow measured as revs increase.

If you don't get these figures it still may not be the MAF that's the cause so don't go spending big money just yet.
The sensor may be perfect but something like an air leak is creating poor suction through the air box, creating low flow figures.
Even if it ends up being the MAF, cheap, reliable used ones are available.
I got one in perfect order from a member on here for £15 so don't think spending big is the only answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:20   #9
Coldrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If you don't get these figures it still may not be the MAF that's the cause so don't go spending big money just yet.
The sensor may be perfect but something like an air leak is creating poor suction through the air box, creating low flow figures.
Had a similar thought myself about something else causing the low figure and It's something Clan said about the EGR that got me thinking (EGR open lowers the MAF readings).

The sudden jump from 27 to 45Kg/hr could be something like the EGR valve closing...? When i graphed the MAF it does literally jump in a split second and the readings are steady either side of the jump in the figures.

So, what else besides a faulty EGR valve could lower the intake MAF readings like this?
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:24   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Hold the throttle at different speeds and get your MAF figures through the Rev range first.
Also, what is your intake air temperature in relation to the ambient display when stationary and on a run?

Tags
limp mode, maf