Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater matrix burping...

Views : 1523

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 10:46   #1
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Default Heater matrix burping...

Hi all,

I've recently flushed my coolant system but have a problem now with the heater. I presume that I have an airlock. I have tried running the car until hot and then (slowly and carefully) releasing the pressure from the expansion tank, also 'massaging' radiator hoses, but the heater is still blowing cool.
During the flushing process (draining, filling (with top hose off thermostat), running, 3 times over 2days) the heater did work, so I do not think I have a blocked matrix or faulty dampers or thermostat. The heat is reaching the matrix but doesn't seem to be flowing through it, hence suspect airlock.
I don't know what I've done wrong, but hope that a gem of advice can be given here.

Thanks

Bob
bobmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 11:43   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Do both the heater pipes in the engine bay get equally hot?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 17:53   #3
petey
Master Member

It's also wise to leave the cap off u til the top hose gets warm whilst you massage the pipes. Leave the cap off as the engine cools down too, overnight is ideal.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:09   #4
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Thanks guys.
Yes Si, both pipes get hot. The air blowing out is just off cold, but during the flushing process it was hot which is why I am thinking air lock.

Ps. Si your videos have saved me a lot of money and have solved many problems, excellent videos thank you.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 12:13   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmccann View Post
Thanks guys.
Yes Si, both pipes get hot. The air blowing out is just off cold, but during the flushing process it was hot which is why I am thinking air lock.

Ps. Si your videos have saved me a lot of money and have solved many problems, excellent videos thank you.
No problem and you're welcome.

Assuming your flush of the system ran clean and clear, with both pipes being hot, that will mean the heater core is hot and there's no airlock.
If the climate control is set to auto and temperature dials aren't at maximum, it's unlikely that hot air would be blowing at this time of year.
To begin with, put the temperature dials on maximum heat and get the car up to temperature to see if this changes the situation.
Getting Dice and Vida on the job would be my next step to recalibrate the climate control module (CCM) and checking that the cabin temperature sensor and other elements of the system are working correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 20:31   #6
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Thanks Simon. I will get dice/vida onto it, see what turns up and report back for the information of others.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 22:18   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

No problem.
Your issue does have echoes of this thread and hopefully the fix will be equally quick and simple.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 12:49   #8
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Ok, I've had at look at VIDA and have found the following....

No error codes logged for the CCM
Ran a calibration, no errors logged
Checked all air damper requests and actuals - no issues

BUT the cabin temperature was showing a lot of fluctuation between high 20's to mid 30's and the outside temp was showing 18 (doors were open!). Could this be the problem? I blew into the sensor to clear any dust and can see the thermistor is clear. Could this be a thermistor or solder problem?

However, when I set the heat on max (which I would have thought would override any heat setting) there is still little or no heat blown out.

Any ideas welcome!

Last edited by bobmccann; Jul 25th, 2017 at 13:13.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 18:11   #9
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Further to this, just been on a drive and the aircon is blowing full fan cold only on auto! I now presume that blowing into the cabin sensor has disturbed what was a damaged thermistor so the ecc thinks the cabin is hot and must be cooled.

Next step ecc out to check!
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 19:11   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmccann View Post
the cabin temperature was showing a lot of fluctuation between high 20's to mid 30's and the outside temp was showing 18
The ECC won't give heat if it thinks that the cabin temperature is so high already.

I think you'll be finding the thermistor is indeed the issue.

Tags
airlock, burping, coolant, heater matrix