Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 Possible electrical issue??

Views : 1565

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2017, 19:35   #1
JoeMcDermott

Question Volvo C30 Possible electrical issue??

Hello All,

Firstly let me apologise if this is posted in the wrong area. I'm also completely new to this forum as well as Volvo's.

We've bought a new Volvo C30 1.6 Diesel D2 engine (New to us) just the other week and it as absolutely great! My partner will be doing around 30k a year in it so we needed something economical and great to drive that could do those kind of miles.

Anyhow... she went to start it on a Saturday and it was being really stubborn! Was turning over for around 10 seconds before it would start.... Before this it would start in the first second of the turn of the key! Thought it was cold and thought nothing more of it.... until she got to the bottom of the road where the engine lost power and the error came up saying 'Engine Performance Decrease'

It then went in to Limp mode... Checked the onboard computer and it had faults registering against the CEM (Central electronic module) DDM (Drivers door module) ICM (Information control module) This issue was with us all weekend and it was running lumpy and kept going in to limp mode!

Popped it down to the local garage and they plugged it in and the error codes were;
Central Electronic Module Passenger Junction Box B- Code DF11
CAN - HI High Speed network, signal missing.
Door Module - Driver Code VID11
Communication with switch pack - Internal Fault.

These codes were then cleared and then it was shipped back to the dealer for them to conduct tests on it.

Spoken to the dealer and they've informed me that they cannot find an issue with it.... and it's running without issue and not throwing these codes again???

I guess my main question is... could this be an intermittent fault... so we get the car back and then a few weeks later we're back to square one or could this have just been a rare 1 off.... it had a grumpy moment but resetting the system and it's all good to go issue resolved!?

My garage said it was a serious issue and needed a new Can Bus wiring loom or something along those lines??!!

You're help is most appreciated as we have 9 more days where we can fully reject the car and get money back but we do really like the car....

Thanks in advance

Joe
JoeMcDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 11:20   #2
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

The CEM is located in the passenger side footwell behind the glovebox, wire connectors can often come loose, if they get inadvertantly kicked. I would have a look remove clean and re-fit the connectors, as loose connectors here can throw all kinds of electrical faults.

Also check with the garage re warranty often as long as a fault is reported before the warranty expires it's covered after the warranty expires, I think they've also change the law around buying cars so you have 12 months to report issues.

Last edited by scoobysn7x; Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:23.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c30, electrics, volvo