Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 V70 Water Leaks

Views : 1758

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2019, 18:53   #11
40t

When mine (an '08 V70) was re-sealed, Volvo quoted £700 for a replacement screen, had it broken. Are the cheaper replacements equally good, does anyone know?
40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 13:07   #12
huron
Master Member

Angry

Well, looks like I have the dreaded unbonded windscreen. Only just bought the car, 2009 V70 D4, and just noticed water dripping off the light. On checking looks like someone has tried to seal along the top with silicon sealer but it's pulling away from the screen. Just had a push at it and it moves all along the top. Looks like the origional screen going from the markings. Need to see what my local Volvo dealer says.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 20:34   #13
Noel Paterson

As detailed in my previous posting, National Windscreens fitted a brand new replacement screen for £309. It is a Volvo screen with all the markings, and the extra mountings for the front facing "City Safety" thing (?), so not a cheap alternative part. It's only been about 3 weeks but I'm delighted that the interior of my car is still absolutely dry, despite the Scottish rain. If anyone needs any tips on removing the interior seats, trim and carpet, just ask. Now reassembled and as good as new.
Noel Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 16:40   #14
pacman849
Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux

Angry Who pays??

Okay, so I have been back to Volvo UK Customer Care. They have admitted that Volvo have a known issue with windscreen bonding on vehicles of this production batch. Volvo UK Customer Care have also advised they will pay for the windscreen re-bonding, as they agree that is their fault.

However, here is the kicker. Although they will pay for the re-bonding, should the windscreen break when it is removed, they will *not* cover the breakage. This is also true of the Dealership, who have also said they will *not* cover the breakage.

My argument is that the *only* reason the windscreen is being removed in the first place is due to Volvo faulty workmanship, which they have owned up to. So the *only* people who should pay if *they* break it, is Volvo.

I have checked my own Motor Insurance Windscreen Cover, and they will not cover breakage by a third party if I have allowed them (Volvo) to remove the windscreen.

In short, *if* the windscreen is broken by a trained Volvo fitter effecting a repair to the windscreen bonding, then surely *I* should not be expected to pay out for their poor workmanship, especially as Volvo UK Customer Care has assured me their engineers are fully trained to undertake screen removal and re-bonding.

Where do you think I stand here?? Surely I should not be expected to pay?
pacman849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 19:22   #15
40t

Further to my post above (same response from Volvo - luckily it didn't break), I agree with your point and felt the same, but was so impressed that they agreed on the spot to do the re-sealing without cost, on a 10 year old car, that I didn't push hard. The dealer didn't, incidentally, use a Volvo technician - I understand they got a local windscreen guy in! Hence - in case it does go at some point - I'm now interested in whether the £700 quote for the part can be beaten and still provide a screen of OEM quality.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 20:31   #16
Noel Paterson

As above National Windscreens fitted a brand new screen to my 2012 V70 for £309, so the £700 quote can be beaten..
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 20:40   #17
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman849 View Post
Okay, so I have been back to Volvo UK Customer Care. They have admitted that Volvo have a known issue with windscreen bonding on vehicles of this production batch. Volvo UK Customer Care have also advised they will pay for the windscreen re-bonding, as they agree that is their fault.

However, here is the kicker. Although they will pay for the re-bonding, should the windscreen break when it is removed, they will *not* cover the breakage. This is also true of the Dealership, who have also said they will *not* cover the breakage.

My argument is that the *only* reason the windscreen is being removed in the first place is due to Volvo faulty workmanship, which they have owned up to. So the *only* people who should pay if *they* break it, is Volvo.

I have checked my own Motor Insurance Windscreen Cover, and they will not cover breakage by a third party if I have allowed them (Volvo) to remove the windscreen.

In short, *if* the windscreen is broken by a trained Volvo fitter effecting a repair to the windscreen bonding, then surely *I* should not be expected to pay out for their poor workmanship, especially as Volvo UK Customer Care has assured me their engineers are fully trained to undertake screen removal and re-bonding.

Where do you think I stand here?? Surely I should not be expected to pay?
Absolutely! Now sell it to Volvo.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 21:05   #18
40t

Noel, yes, thank you, hence my question - given that it's structural, is this to the same standard as Volvo's. Is it stamped with the Volvo mark?
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 19:20   #19
Noel Paterson

Hi 40t
No my new screen isn't stamped Volvo, but it's branded AGC Automotive who are apparently an OEM Supplier to Volvo and many other major manufacturers. So I can't imagine it's somehow a substandard screen with thinner glass or whatever? Probably made in the same factory as original screens? So far it works....
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 19:43   #20
40t

Thank you Noel, that's good to know for future reference