Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Fobs

Views : 675

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2020, 22:04   #1
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Default Key Fobs

This is general discussion and not being raised because I have an issue with mine.

This evening a chap on our local Facebook Page has offered new P3 5 button key fobs and programming for £150.00

Out of curiosity I sent him a message asking whether he had access to VIDA/DICE and a link into the Volvo main computer.
He came back pretty quickly and said only the original keys were linked to the main system and that he programs the new keys straight to the car. He has refused to disclose what system he uses but claims that he’s done this on a number of Volvos without issue.
Having had various Volvos over the years I know how Volvo have very strong key security credentials and of course I’m am suspicious of this chaps claim. As said, I have no need to be using his “service” but am just wondering about the legitimacy of this service he is offering.

Your comments are appreciated.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 11:33   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggymarsh View Post
This is general discussion and not being raised because I have an issue with mine.

This evening a chap on our local Facebook Page has offered new P3 5 button key fobs and programming for £150.00

Out of curiosity I sent him a message asking whether he had access to VIDA/DICE and a link into the Volvo main computer.
He came back pretty quickly and said only the original keys were linked to the main system and that he programs the new keys straight to the car. He has refused to disclose what system he uses but claims that he’s done this on a number of Volvos without issue.
Having had various Volvos over the years I know how Volvo have very strong key security credentials and of course I’m am suspicious of this chaps claim. As said, I have no need to be using his “service” but am just wondering about the legitimacy of this service he is offering.

Your comments are appreciated.
you need to ask a criminal for the answer i guess ! the original keys are exactly the same as the spare ones you buy from volvo , in fact they have to be reprogrammed in when you add a new one using data from the factory computer .
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 12:03   #3
RS3100

As I understand it, the information from the factory computer is a security code that allows access to the CEM for key programming.

Volvos without keyless entry and start are amongst some of the most secure cars because of the way that the factory handles key security. However, there are dubious individuals and companies which seem to be mainly based in eastern Europe and the Far East, that consist of hackers whose sole purpose is to reverse engineer vehicle security systems and produce products designed to circumvent them.

Simon Touch in The Lebanon and Edilock from Bulgaria are two of the big players, who have a presence in the UK. They both produce modules for specific vehicles that plug into the OBD port and convince the car that a correctly programmed key is present, sometimes in as little as 20 seconds.

As far as I am aware, there are no such compromise devices available for Volvos, as no-one has (yet) overcome the security to the extent that keys can be quickly "introduced" without knowing certain security information.

However, Abrites aftermarket diagnostic package for Volvo claims to be able to program new keys, and I know that VDash software can also do it. Both need several hours access to the car though, maybe even days depending on the power of the computer connected to it (and in the case of Vdash an internet connection throughout that time - I don't know about Abrites). They both attempt a brute force attack on the CEM by throwing millions of security codes at it until they (hopefully) find the one that allows access to your car. Then they can use the same routines as VIDA to program or delete keys.

So thankfully, not the sort of thing that a thief is going to spend time using at the roadside, unlike some of the devices available for other makes of car.

But is the chap on your Facebook page programming new unique keys, or is he simply claiming to produce additional keys which are in fact exact copies (clones) of one or more of your existing keys? The latter is much easier. He would obviously need access to your existing key and the car would not be able to tell your existing key or the new key apart. They would both be the single already programmed key as far as the car was concerned. The problem with cloned keys is that, if you lose one and want to delete it from the car for security reasons, the other clone will no longer work either.

Last edited by RS3100; Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:07. Reason: Fixed spelling
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 21:57   #4
Alker

So , have u taken up the offer and had a key programmed ?
Alker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 22:43   #5
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

No! Absolutely not!
I have two perfectly good keys and would not risk some cowboy to muck my motor up with his somewhat dubious cloning equipment.
He claims that he has done keys for a Volvo main dealers as it has been cheaper for them “ than getting them from the factory” !
He was also offering to do replacement keys for a number of other makes and models so clearly this is a generic tool he access to.
Personally, I wouldn’t give it the time of day.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote