Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 2.4t estate

Views : 4851

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:26   #1
robs 440

Default volvo 2.4t estate

hi folks, ive just bought a fantastic v70 2.4T estate with gearbox problems. i personally think ill end up putting another autobox in this, but need your advice on this one. its stuck in limp mode, goes into 3rd gear, and engine light on dash is on. it will pull away in 1st and will not change up or down. if you put it in D it will pull away in 3rd. last owner tried changing the oil but to no avail. im going to get it put on a dieasnostic at my local garage next week just to get some idea. the car is 2001. any ideas rob.
robs 440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:49   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

For a 2001 car you would be better posting / searching the 2000> forum

This will help you with the diagnoistics:

http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/

Cost here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...&highlight=ppc

Cheaper than going to the dealers.

The 5 speed box needs JWS 3309 fluid, what did you put in?

From your description of the problem a new box may well be required.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:13   #3
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

I've just moved this into correct section so hopefully it will get more views.

It sounds like the gearbox is fine, but the software is faulty. It will probably need the Trans Control Module reflashing.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:22   #4
robs 440

thanks joy of six, i only got the car yesterday, with this problem, will start off in 1st if you put it into, but if you put it into d then only 3rd gear, dosent change up or down. will they be able to see this problem with the diagnostics?? what part are you meaning? is it a ecu, thanks rob.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:30   #5
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

If it starts in 1st when the lever is moved to 1st, and will change into all gears by the lever yet only has 3rd when put into drive then it's a software fault. The gearchanging in 'D' is controlled electronically by the gearbox ECU (called the Transmission Control Module or TCM), whereas positions 1,2,3,4 (and 5 if it's got one) control the box via a cable.

Either the TCM has fried or lost its program or the car has lost contact with the TCM. If all the gears are physically still there the actual gearbox is fine, just the control side is faulty.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:48   #6
robs 440

thanks, only 1st and drive work, if you put it in 3rd or 4th it dosent change up or down?? if you put it in 1st, then put it into drive theres a clonk, then it goes to limp mode, so it only seems to run in 1st or limp mode 3rd. reverse is ok.??
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:20   #7
robs 440

right, lastest update, just taken it out from cold, dash comes up with transmission service, goes into drive, changes up a gear with a slight clonk then into 3rd then goes into limp mode. stop the car, same thing happens?? so its changing throgh the gears but rough?
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 18:00   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Which gear box is it 4 or 5 speed?

Suggest you buy the diagnostic unit I mentioned above to read the fault codes.

Check with the previous owner what fluid was put in.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:19   #9
robs 440

hi chris, think this is the 4 speed box. its a 55-50sn box. seems to me that it changes for a while, the goes into limp mode. previous owner bought the oil from volvo as recomended, spent over £100 on oil?? apart from the gearbox its superb, full history, stamped, new tyres, long mot and tax. engine is so quiet. fantasticly clean. £1000. bargain. i should be able to pick a secondhand box up for £300, eventually.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:01   #10
grainqey
Master Member

urm a problem on the Vx omega autoboxes is the selector switch being mucky/fubar'd
might be worth you checking that (it'll probably be on one side of the gearbox) possibly on a ledge kind of thing on the side of the box so lots of muck can collect! lol
grainqey is offline   Reply With Quote