Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your V90 Cross Country can have the latest safety innovation

Views : 1755

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 17:58   #1
apnicolle

Default Your V90 Cross Country can have the latest safety innovation

Just received this on email from Volvo;

http://view.email.volvocars.com/?qs=...aad42bd2a1ddb5

I’m not sure why but it doesn’t quite sit right with me. I sort of assumed that new software features for existing hardware would be included in service updates, or rolled out like Tesla over the air. Especially when these are ‘safety’ updates.

And that’s before the debate about whether any of these new features are actually useful !
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apnicolle For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 13:23   #2
taylora

Indeed, doesn't quite keep align with their efforts to have zero fatalities in their cars by 2020. This should be included with a service update.
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 17:22   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

there's another thread here on the same subject:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299764

Now, far from me wanting to defend Volvo, but I think there is often a general view that somehow 'software' is free (or should be). We'd be (maybe?) happy to pay for an additional hardware widget on the car, so why not software?

Last edited by Paul Wildsmith; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 17:22. Reason: typo
Paul Wildsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 17:30   #4
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
there's another thread here on the same subject:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299764

Now, far from me wanting to defend Volvo, but I think there is often a general view that somehow 'software' is free (or should be). We'd be (maybe?) happy to pay for an additional hardware widget on the car, so why not software?
I can see where you are coming from here, and I assume the charge for this particular software upgrade simply covers the cost of the workshop time required to have the car sat in a bay receiving the update. If it were free, and everyone got wind of it, then surely there would be a pretty big charge back to Volvo from dealers having to install it.

Where I am confused however is in the difference between the above new features and other similar features previously received for free during routine software updates at service. Or is there no difference, and will the above simply come bundled with the next software update your car receives at a main dealer service? Essentially you have the choice of paying £75 for your dealer to install now, or waiting for your next service when you get it as part of a regular software update?

:wq
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 17:39   #5
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

good point, I presume the difference maybe what Volvo think they can charge for? Mind you, the usual twice a year or so updates to Sensus haven't really added much functionality (perhaps with the exception of the recent connectivity thing): they've been more about 'improving' or 'optimising' (ie: making what should have worked properly first time).

In fact I'd be prepared to pay for some real feature enhancements (even if they could well be provided free): how about some more apps? More themes for the dash display etc.. I'm hoping the android based sensus in the future will allow much more of this (though likely to have to buy a new car to get it..)
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 17:42   #6
apnicolle

What drives me completely bonkers though is the fact that the two local dealers here haven’t got a clue about this when asked !
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:36   #7
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I requested this upgrade at my service a month or so back but never got it in the end; it took the dealer quite a while to work out what I was after (despite providing the part number, lol), then offered to do it while I waited to go home - by then I just wanted to jump in the car so didn't bother.

They advised me that the software cost to them was around £19 and they'd install it for around £45 in total, so £26 labour for hooking the car up to the servers and getting the software deployed. I thought the labour charge was a bit steep as they could have done all this in a few seconds if doing so when it was hooked up for the service software, but seeing the £75 'offer' makes me think that they were being quite fair now.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 01:23   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
good point, I presume the difference maybe what Volvo think they can charge for? Mind you, the usual twice a year or so updates to Sensus haven't really added much functionality (perhaps with the exception of the recent connectivity thing): they've been more about 'improving' or 'optimising' (ie: making what should have worked properly first time).

In fact I'd be prepared to pay for some real feature enhancements (even if they could well be provided free): how about some more apps? More themes for the dash display etc.. I'm hoping the android based sensus in the future will allow much more of this (though likely to have to buy a new car to get it..)
Your words are my thoughts. Their attempts to correct what is wrong from the beginning, should be standard and not even an issue in the first place!
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 07:46   #9
gaby
Premier Member

As I see it, there is software update and upgrade.
Update means a new version of a feature alreay present, upgrade is a new feature.
I find it normal that one has to pay for a new feature, be it hard - or software.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 13:06   #10
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I was at my Dealers this morning collecting new rubber mats and asked about this upgrade.

The Master Tech checked the details for my car and confirmed that I already have the first two features (BLIS with steer assist and Oncoming Lane Mitigation) on the car, but not the third feature - Oncoming Mitigation by Braking, so I will be getting that installed for the £75.

I am happy to pay this reasonable sum for an enhanced safety feature.