Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door seals

Views : 2741

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2019, 20:04   #11
kishor

Default sealing kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
I got a complete door and window sealing "kit" (read assembled parts put in one handy box!) from the classic Volvo club here in Holland. As they seem to get their parts from vp (or other Swedish sources) I assume these handy kits are available from other sources too...
Hi. I will be keen on the sealing kit providing the price and postage isn't too much

Ta
Kassie 00447828879494
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 22:07   #12
blueosprey90
Master Member

Old Fart, this is an old thread.

I just need help with the window felts, but didn't believe my query needed a new thread.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 09:57   #13
arcturus
arcturus

Hi, the "fuzies" are held on with small screws originally but I found that the screw heads tended to scratch the glass so I glued them on with epoxy. A better solution is to try to locate some felt strips and glue them on directly without the metal backing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191005_01.jpg (77.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20191005_02.jpg (126.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 5th, 2019 at 10:44.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:44   #14
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/337/seals

Woolies classic car trim may have the items you want: ~ they do window channel plus inner & outer window scrapers.
These items are used extensively on classic cars so it may be worthwhile looking at other companies doing the same etc.
If you have to use screws for window channel then the heads must go below the glass line.
Polyurethane adhesive & sealant is also very useful for some of the above- messy but will clean off with white spirit.
Hope it helps
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 18:26   #15
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I may need to take the door apart to see exactly what I need. Probably should replace the vent window rubber at the same time.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 20:42   #16
blueosprey90
Master Member

^^

And taking the door apart may not be so easy. It looks like my window crank and door handle ('57 PV 444) are held on with pins. But so far, they don't seem to budge with quite firm rapping on a drift.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 21:40   #17
arcturus
arcturus

You need to make sure that the handle collars are pushed in firmly to allow the pin to drop out. I cut my replacement pins from wire coat hangers. It can be quite a job to get them out.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 09:12   #18
Army
marches on his stomach

The person who fitted my window and door controls put the pins inline with the handles so it was impossible to get the pins out. I had no option but to smash the plastic circular pieces under the handles. A bit irritating but they weren't bank breaking to replace (although every penny spent quickly adds up)

(Note this is for the later PV544 types - I understand the earlier ones are a bit different)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:34   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

Aren't the pins tapered? If so, don't get caught out and try and bash them out the wrong way.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 13:34   #20
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thank you for the replies. I was able to remove last night.

The door and window handles on the '57 PV444 have 4 holes for the pins, but only 2 are used. The 4 holes are at 90 degrees to each other. So I missed this fact, and was I was working on the two unused holes. My pounding wasn't on any pins at all, just the inner shaft. Once I saw the additional holes, the pins came right out. Each pin about 1" long. Not sure if original as one was the tip of a nail.

I removed the door card which is in sad shape, disassembled the remainder of the window frame and ordered some parts.

The window frame was pretty easy to disassemble. The door has a separate piece of trim that is screwed on around the entire window area perimeter. The only real trick was that the triangular vent window comes off with this piece. The rubber seals for this window are partly on this surround piece and partly on the front of the chrome vertical piece that separates the vent and main windows. It took a bit to work these apart.