Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight upgrade 940

Views : 7309

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2019, 21:38   #11
aardvarkash10
Master Member

IS that 47 quid for the kit Dave? Seems VERY cheap to me...
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 21:50   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Those wiper blades.

Dave, you’ll just have to service the wiper motors. I’m sure you will have seen the how to’s. I’ve had to do mine a few times after one of the blades started parking erratically. I don’t like obvious erections in the wrong place.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 22:06   #13
bob12
bob12

Ha, ha ... they are closed thro' to Wed/Thurs for stock taking.

Just been reading their blurb and the MOT Regs re HID and LED headlights. There is a wonderful word in the requirements.... 'may', not 'must', for compliance if the car is fitted with HID's or LED's in relation to self-leveling (and they mean the lights not the car!!) and, headlight wipers.

Volvo's of this age didn't have self-leveling headlights so they are clear on that one .... just got to make sure your headlight wipers are all in situ and working.

Have just realised Dave that the 'plug' is just an H4 bulb terminal!!!! ...

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Sep 30th, 2019 at 23:02.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 22:12   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
IS that 47 quid for the kit Dave? Seems VERY cheap to me...
It is Ash, they were £72 when i got the first set.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 22:16   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Ha, ha ... they are closed thro' to Wed/Thurs for stock taking.

Just been reading their blurb and the MOT Regs re HID and LED headlights. There is a wonderful word in the requirements.... 'may', not 'must', for compliance if the car is fitted with HID's or LED's in relation to self-leveling headlights (and they mean the lights not the car!!) and, headlight wipers.

Volvo's of this age didn't have self-leveling headlights so they are clear on that one .... just got to make sure your headlight wipers are all in situ and working.

Have just realised Dave that the 'plug' is just an H4 bulb terminal!!!! ...

Bob
Stupid thing is, there's less need for headlamp cleaning with LEDs as they don't give out the sort of heat halogens do so the crud doesn't get baked on. Very useful round here, especially this time of yer just coming into beet season! The roads turn black (well blacker!) with a dark, tar like substance that is actually sugar coated mud that sticks like the proverbial on a blanket. It gets thrown up in the form of spray and covers the car, regardless of how big a gap you leave between you and the car in front.

Another bonus is it's much less load on the switchgear as they take only about half the power of a halogen.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 22:37   #16
bob12
bob12

I have been taken in by these and have just ordered a set!!

They 'should' arrive by the end of this week. I shall let you know how I get on with them once fitted.

Give me light

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 23:37   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I have been taken in by these and have just ordered a set!!

They 'should' arrive by the end of this week. I shall let you know how I get on with them once fitted.

Give me light

Bob
Give me a shout when they land and i'll give you a couple of fitting tips Bob.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 04:24   #18
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Hi Bob - when you get them can you let me know what Standards markings are on them? For MOT here they need to comply to a recognised international standard.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 09:47   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
1 - check the reflectors. They are able to be cleaned but WITH CARE!!!! If they are tarnished its a bit of a lost cause doing much else - the entire headlamp will need to be replaced.

2 - clean the lenses. Its a good thing the headlights can be fully dismantled, but take care while doing it and when reassembling make sure the seals etc are intact or its all for nothing.

3 - fit a real headlight relay. The one in the 940 is not a real useful bit of kit imho. A dual relay (one circuit low beam, the other high beam) mounted near the battery with a main B+ feed taken from the back of the alternator will reduce voltage drop to the headlights by about 0.7 to 1 volt. That doesn't sound a lot, but every volt lost results in about a 15% loss of light efficiency.

4 - Once the headlight relay is in place, your switchgear is safe and you can whack in some high-wattage H4 bulbs. Not sure what the regs are over your way, but I can fit 130/100W H4 bulbs and still be legal. Possums and hedgehogs have no chance.

5 -Correctly align the headlights. There is no excuse for poorly aligned lights that either dazzle oncoming traffic on low beam or light up worm casts in the verge. Its not hard to do yourself, or get your local people to sort it.

6 - Brighter bulbs and correct alignment however do not extend the range of the light. That is a design outcome of the lens. If you need more distance, get some quality spotlights. Again, relay, switch them with high beam, and fit a separate isolation switch so you can turn them off and still have high beam available.

7 - Clean the windscreen.
Couple of points Ash - 130/100W bulbs aren't legal for road use here.

People do still use them on the road and i've never known of a prosecution, even for someone who was caught using a custom made MOSFET switch so while on dipped beam, the 4 main beams wig-wagged in a similar manner to what the Police use.

That said the crafty sod had set it up to be triggered by an unmarked switch which needed to be held for several seconds to trigger it and he (somehow) convinced them they "must have been mistaken officer!"

People often forget the lenses have an inside as well as an outside - dishwashers are good for a thorough, all-over clean once the lights are dismantled.

Correct headlamp aim is important, as you say, plane-spotting or worm-blinding does you no favours in terms of seeing where you're going!

Often forgotten on this is the rear suspension, when cars go for MoT with Nivos and they've sunk through sitting, the headlamp aim gets adjusted to suit. Once back out on the road, the poor worms are blinded again.

Spotlights are also only legal for off-road use and have been for decades. Driving lamps that perform a similar function with a slightly wider (but still long-range) beam are perfectly legal as long as they extinguish when main beam does. The isolation switch is optional here.

That pretty picture shows the difference between spot, driving, fog and flood beams so that people can see the difference. It's not just another name for driving lights, spotlights do exist in their own right.

Cleaning the windscreen is also a good one, again it has an inside as well as an outside! Also if worn for driving, lenses of glasses - guilty of this one myself and also forgetting the inside of the sreeen! Oops!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 10:13   #20
aardvarkash10
Master Member

"Couple of points Ash - 130/100W bulbs aren't legal for road use here.

People do still use them on the road and i've never known of a prosecution, even for someone who was caught using a custom made MOSFET switch so while on dipped beam, the 4 main beams wig-wagged in a similar manner to what the Police use."

I went through my auto-electrical training with a guy who was working at Air New Zealand. He had a couple of aircraft landing lights wired into his four-headlight Mitsubishi GTO! Some interesting battery charging and switching to get the required voltage (48VDC iirc) but SPECTACULAR illumination on black nights!

A bugger when you had to go to dip beam however.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, headlight, upgrade