Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inlet manifold removal and breather replacement - ME7 models

Views : 4303

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2010, 19:52   #1
ian_w

Default Inlet manifold removal and breather replacement - ME7 models

There is a lot of info about on this forum and others about the replacement of the breather on the 850 models e.g. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=breather

However, there is very little information about for the later cars with ETM and ME7 EMS, these have a slightly different breather system as well as a different inlet manifold. With reference to the attached picture, I ordered the following from Simon ( Rufe ) at FRF for my 2000 C70 T5:

Oil Trap (1) - 1271988
Hose (2) - 1271653
Hose (6) - 1271654
Hose (4) - 8653339
Hose clamp (7&9) - 976561 3off
Hose clamp (3) - 978180 2off
Washer (10) - 947282 2off
Inlet gasket - 9458534

Total cost inc postage, 57.94

The large water cooled breather pipe (8) is very expensive ( over £100 ) so I chose not to replace this.

I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures but here is a brief description of the process ( all references to left/right are as you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine ):

Remove coil covers and injector cover.

Unplug the injectors ( be careful as there is a rubber seal in the plug and a couple of mine fell out ). Remove the fuel rail. You need to disconnect the pipe from the fuel rail, ideally split it at the push fit connector - you need a special tool for this. I didn't have one of these so I turned the fuel rail over and remove 3 small Torx screws and remove the clamp plate from the rail, the pipe can then be removed at the rail end.

Disconnect vacuum hoses from the manifold, one small one in the middle, one small at the RH end and one large at the RH end. Remove the clip and disconnect the breather hose in the centre of the cam cover.

Unplug the two sensors on the duct into the throttle. Undo the hose clips and remove this duct. Unfortunately the hose clip on the throttle was totally inaccessible on my car so I had to remove the inlet manifold complete with the duct - a little more difficult but still possible.

Undo the bolt holding the dipstick to the inlet manifold. Remove the top row of 3 bolts where the inlet manifold fixes to the head. Then loosen the lower 3 bolts, it is not necessary to remove these. The lower LH bolt is a total swine to get at. My trick was to use a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive universal joint and then an 8" extension bar - there is just room to feed it between the LH edge of the plenum and the PAS pump. In fact, the same tool can be used for all 6 manifold bolts.

The inlet manifold should be relatively free now. If you lift it slightly you will have access to the water heated breather nipple on the underside of the manifold on the LH side. Use a 17mm spanner to undo the banjo bolt. The nipple has 3 hoses, the 2 larger ones contain coolant so if you plan on undoing these then you will have to drain some water out of the engine.

You should now be able to remove the inlet manifold, it takes a bit of twisting and juggling to feed the fuel hose between the two inlet runners.

Once it is all apart then replacing the hoses and oil trap is quite straightforward. You will need a set of pincers ( e.g. http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN9352010K ), to crimp the new hose clips. My oil trap was full of 'mayonnaise' and the oil return pipe to the engine was completely blocked which may explain my oil consumption of 4-500 miles / litre.

You need to clean out the breather nipple, I used a small piece of bent wire and plenty of 'brake cleaner' to remove all the crud. I was going to completely remove the 'expensive' hose (8) but the water union on the RH end of the head looked pretty inaccessible so I just disconnected the breather section at each end and blew it through with an air line - the hose was completely clear with no noticeable deposits.

In true 'Haynes' style the reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly! Unfortunately reattaching the breather nipple to the inlet manifold is a mare - with the manifold roughly fitted I couldn't really get a good hold of the banjo bolt and have sufficient dexterity to line it up and start the thread - it is also very easy to keep dropping the copper washers!

The solution I used in the end was to drain some coolant and disconnect the short rubber coolant hose on the LH side and also pull off the small breather hose from the centre stub. This then gives you a bit more 'slack' in the hose, I dropped the manifold into the car with the LH end downwards and the other end point up at about 45 degrees - you can then reach around with your right hand and fit the breather nipple. The manifold can then be dropped back into place and the breather and water hoses reconnected ( you will need a small jubilee clip to replace the one on the water hose ) before finally tightening the banjo bolt once everything is aligned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcvinfo3.jpg (54.1 KB, 83 views)
ian_w is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian_w For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2010, 20:29   #2
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Old May 1st, 2010, 21:04   #3
ian_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
Sorry, didn't plan on doing a write-up so didn't take any photos. However as the inlet manifold was much more difficult to remove / refit than I imagined then I thought at least a few word/tips may help others in the future.
ian_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 21:19   #4
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_w View Post
Sorry, didn't plan on doing a write-up so didn't take any photos. However as the inlet manifold was much more difficult to remove / refit than I imagined then I thought at least a few word/tips may help others in the future.
Mister....
My respect to you for taking the task on...

Jod
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2010, 21:23   #5
volvo-express
Master Member

Default Write up

Don't put the man down for not taking picture's! Im sure this thread will help someone at some point.
volvo-express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:22   #6
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo-express View Post
Don't put the man down for not taking picture's! Im sure this thread will help someone at some point.
I wholeheartedly agree with your point of view.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 17:56   #7
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

@ Ian W I congratulate you on your write up, I recently replaced the PCV on my V70 2.5T ME7 engine & I have to agree with you that there is littel or no info on this job on this engine & the Haynes manual makes it sound a lot easier than it is. Had I realised how different it was to the other V70/850's I would have had the camera with me at the time to try & document it all aint hind sight a wonderfull thing.
Like your self I cleaned out the £100 hose & with regards the banjo union I disconnected the hoses from it then cleaned it out after I removed the manifold from the car either way not an easy task as I'm sure you'll agree, you mentioned the tool for crimping the hose clips I replaced all these clips with stainless jubilee clips to save buying the tool.

Good write up though wish you had done yours before I did mine then I could have used your guide

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 21:01   #8
andy.hide
VOC Member

Smile

Hey just found this thread as about to begin this job. I agree there is no info on this one.

Just got to the bit where you undo the quick release fuel line and was stuck.

I will take some photos as I follow the instructions above unless someone else has done this already ?
andy.hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 09:35   #9
TomKlan

Default hose clamp

Dear Forum users

I would like to share my experience when I've changed breather pipes not so long ago, I ordered my parts from Volvo dealers direct, and they arrived as a complete set.

However, Volvo’s are using some hose clips which to me are completely useless (as I don’t have a special tools) and because of that, I went to Halfords and bought my own clips.

When putting the clips on, I then discovered that the quality of the clips are much more inferior and they bend easily. So I had to postpone my work, and ordered new clips from the web. The clips I have purchased are made by ABA and you only need a normal screwdriver.

I’m mentioning this because it's very frustrating having a top quality part in front of you and unable to use it. I hope this will help someone in the future.

**the clip Volovo like to use is a part no:
976561 (marked no 12 on the chart) also pic. attached - you need a special tool to use this type of clip.

Volvo Clip

I order mine from these guys: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfor...Hose_Clips/521

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCV.JPG (35.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (1.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg aut_spring_clips_sil.jpg (8.9 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by TomKlan; Jun 26th, 2010 at 09:40.
TomKlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:06   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

End snips or top cutters do the job.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-snips-cutters

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co....iers-snips.htm

Should be available from tool shops.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote