Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sunroof Wind Deflector.

Views : 2154

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2019, 14:46   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Sunroof Wind Deflector.

Still available.
Wind Deflector, Part number: VO1380852
Weather Seal, Part number: VO3528809

My 1992 940 has a steel tilt or slide sunroof. I often use it in the tilt mode whilst smoking but never slide it open, except once a year before MOT time just to check and lubricate if necessary. Two years ago when I checked at MOT time I noticed that the wind deflector was beginning to corrode at the ends where the operating arms attach. I made a mental note to deal with this when the weather was better but didn't get around to it and for some reason I didn't check it last year so when I checked it last week I found that it was so severely corroded that one of the operating arms had become detached. The deflector has sprung hinges to flip it up and the operating arms prevent it from lifting too far. As one of the arms was now detached it allowed the deflector to rise too far. This meant that to close the roof again it was necessary to use one's fingers to restrain the deflector so that the roof would close fully.
It appears that the deflector can be removed without disturbing the sun roof itself but I don't know that for certain yet as I haven't yet tried.
I didn't hold out much hope but I searched on the US volvopartswebstore site and found the "roof hatch" as they name it and found that the wind deflector was listed with part number: 1380852.
I was aware from other threads on this forum that the weather seal was now available and had intended to replace mine at some stage so more in hope than anything else I contacted my dealer. I was pleasantly surprised to be told that, not only was the weather seal available but so was the wind deflector and with the same part number as that quoted on the US site so both are on order from classic parts.
I'll continue this diatribe when I have tried to fit said weather seal and wind deflector.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 20:45   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking forward to the rest of your diatribe Ian!

Once you've fitted the new seal, protect and lube it with some silicone grease :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

Smear it on to the rubber seal and rub it in, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off the excess - don't rub at this stage!
Repeat at yearly intervals to keep the new seal supple and doing its job!

Also good for the sunroof tracks and cables, door latches, battery terminals, door, bonnet and boot/tailgate seals (rub it on, wait 15-20 minutes, wipe off the excess - helps prevent the doors freezing shut in winter and many other items.)

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 23:00   #3
panda529e699

Default Sunroof Wind deflector

That's interesting to know. I have just removed the old headlining, recovered and fitted. I had to remove the sunroof to do the upholstery on that. My sunroof has never closed without first pressing what I think is the wind deflector down. Perhaps I am thinking of something else, but hardly use it anyway.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2020, 18:22   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Replacing Sunroof Wind Deflector

Having fitted a new seal to my steel sunroof I then decided to fit the replacement wind deflector. Either of these tasks may be done without involving the other, but as I was working on the sunroof I decided to do both.
First step to deal with the deflector is to wind the sunroof back.
As stated in my first post, my deflector was in a badly corroded condition. Shown in the below images.

The deflector is attached by hinges to what I will refer to as the base plate which is secured to the sunroof frame. The hinges have lightweight springs which force the deflector up when the sunroof is opened. There is what I will refer to as a support/restraining arm on each side of the sunroof frame. These act as restraints when the deflector flips up and are pressed down by the nylon slides of the sunroof frame as the sunroof moves forward to close, so pulling the deflector down to permit the sunroof to close fully. The rear of these support arms is supposed to be mounted on a pivot attached to the side member of the sunroof frame and the front end supposed to be attached to the end of the deflector. In my case, the the pivot on the rear of the left hand support arm had corroded away so that the arm was not secured at it's rear end, although it's front end was still attached to the deflector. See below image.

The right side support arm was still attached to it's pivot at it's rear but the front had become detached from the deflector due to the serious corrosion of the deflector.
The front ends of the support arms have a flat sided oval hole which locates on a stud, with a similar shaped head, on the end of the deflector. The flat sides must be aligned to locate the arm onto the stud then the support arm rotated to it's operating position to secure it on the stud.

It appeared to me that the easiest way to remove the old deflector and fit the new one was to remove the base plate complete with deflector. The base plate is secured to the front of the sunroof frame by six screws. (two cross head self tappers, and four cross head set screws ). The set screws at each end are quite short. The self tappers are each about a third of the way from each end and are easily accessed when the old deflector is flipped up further than it should be but not quite so accessible when the new deflector is in it's correct flipped position. The two set screws near the centre are longer and pass through the sunroof frame into the sunroof gearbox. Having removed all six screws the base plate and deflector could be lifted away, taking care to manoeuvre the left side support arm from it's locating pin on the end of the deflector.

Having removed the base plate it will be seen that there has been some caulking between it and the front crossbar of the sunroof frame. (this is referred to in the FAQs in the section "Dried-Out Caulking" by John Sargent ) ( see Volvo Owners Club,> Tech Stuff, > 700/900/90 FAQ, > Body:Sunroof ). Taking John's comments into account I decided to replace the old caulking on my car with some butyl strip which I had.
Next step is to remove the old deflector from the base plate and fit the new one. This was remarkably easy. Before doing so, note the orientation of the hinge springs. Push the deflector sideways along the base plate to compress the spring on one of the hinges and disengage the pin on the other hinge, then move the deflector the other way to disengage the first hinge. Fitting the new deflector is a reversal of this operation, taking care to orientate the springs correctly so that they try to flip the deflector up.
Now the fiddly bit, as the rear of each support arm should still be attached to the side frame of the sunroof. It is quite easy, but take care not to bend or snap anything. It is necessary to locate the front ends of the support arms on to the pins on the ends of the deflector then offer up the base plate to the sunroof frame. Having done that, press the base plate down onto the sealant and reinsert the six screws and tighten it down. The support arms should now look like the below image, although only the right side one of mine did as the left side one was detached as previously described.

You should now have a fully installed wind deflector which is prevented from flipping too far by the side support arms. Now carefully wind the sunroof forwards towards the closed position. You will see the that as the sunroof slides forwards the nylon sliders on each side, which incorporate the front securing brackets, move against the side support arms and pushes them down, which in turn pulls the deflector down. If you are fortunate, when the front edge of the sunroof is about to contact the deflector, the deflector will have been pulled down far enough to permit the sunroof to pass over it into the fully closed position. This was not the case with mine. The rearmost edge of the deflector was about 3.0 mms too high. I resolved this by gently bending the deflector to lower it's rear edge. I used a small clamping tool to give me some controlled leverage whilst, with my other hand, maintaining pressure on the front of the deflector in the area of the hinges to prevent any strain and/or damage to them.
See below images. The first image is of the clamping tool.

After a little persuasion my deflector closed far enough to permit the full closure of the sunroof without having to resort to physically pulling it down whilst closing the sunroof.
I had investigated attempting to repair the detached rear end of the left side support arm but had found that the small bracket on the sunroof frame had corroded to such an extent that it appeared that it would be necessary to fabricate some replacement and to do this it would be necessary to remove the sunroof side frame which appeared to involve removing the entire sunroof frame, or at least a substantial section of it, so I decided not to do so. The fact that the rear of the arm is not secured to the frame does mean that that arm does not fully restrain the left end of the deflector but it does still pull that end down as the sunroof is closed. As I rarely fully open the sunroof I am prepared to accept that.

Later research on the "volvopartswebstore" appears to show that the sunroof side frame member is a separate item and the rear of the support arm incorporates the linking device which clips into the side frame member but I would be surprised if it is still available and even if it is, trying to fit it could well cause more problems than it solves.

I hope this is some assistance to someone.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 5th, 2020 at 19:21.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:11   #5
90Wine745

Hi Ian,
This post is super helpful, thank you. Nice job, well done. Nice to know too that the roof will still close with only one arm working. I cleaned mine up lately and both arms are in a poor state at the rear end, tbh, although I have them well lubricated now, each time I use it I am expecting one of them to go. You mentioned parts on the “volvopartswebstore”. (See below, sorry I do not know how to insert a small bit of a previous post) Were you referring to Arm, Part Number: 3526912 3526913? They look different to what we need. Otherwise I could not find the ones you refer to, can you more specific?
On the seal, I know you posted your method and pics on sunroof / moonroof reseal thread which again was super helpful. So I have asked a question about that there if that is OK with you.

My seal is reasonable at the moment. Anyway, living in the west of Ireland, it is probably more important to keep the water out than anything else, so the arms when they go are not the end of the world. At least I will be dry. It is just nice to have things working as they should.
Thanks again.
Mike
You said:
Later research on the "volvopartswebstore" appears to show that the sunroof side frame member is a separate item and the rear of the support arm incorporates the linking device which clips into the side frame member but I would be surprised if it is still available and even if it is, trying to fit it could well cause more problems than it solves.
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:13   #6
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
That's interesting to know. I have just removed the old headlining, recovered and fitted. I had to remove the sunroof to do the upholstery on that. My sunroof has never closed without first pressing what I think is the wind deflector down. Perhaps I am thinking of something else, but hardly use it anyway.
Hi
Just wondering did you follow the guides in the
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.html
for the headliner change? I assume you used 1/8” material any harm to ask where you got it?
Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 11:11   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Wine745 View Post
Hi
Just wondering did you follow the guides in the
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.html
for the headliner change? I assume you used 1/8” material any harm to ask where you got it?
Mike
I know the 3mm (1/8") material i got for mine was too thick on the sunroof trim panel, wouldn't fold over and stay folded so unpeeled itself, depends what material your actual headliner has on it or if you plan to change that too.
This is what i plan on using :

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...headlining.php

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 13:47   #8
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I know the 3mm (1/8") material i got for mine was too thick on the sunroof trim panel, wouldn't fold over and stay folded so unpeeled itself, depends what material your actual headliner has on it or if you plan to change that too.
This is what i plan on using :

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...headlining.php
Interesting you found the 3mm too thick for the sunroof, many thanks for the link, its I job I need to get to......
Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 14:00   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Wine745 View Post
Interesting you found the 3mm too thick for the sunroof, many thanks for the link, its I job I need to get to......
Mike
I'll take some pics later Mike, i have the sunroof interior trim panel sat in my hallway with the material not sticking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:30   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

940Wine745:
Is this the question that you referred to in the sunroof seal thread?
Your other question re the headlining is being responded to by Dave and I have no knowledge of that problem.
Sorry, I cannot be more specific about those side support arms shown without actually having one on my hand. As I’ve decided not to progress that defect any further I haven’t made any further enquiries at present.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 7th, 2020 at 10:35.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: