Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 II -97 vibrates in very slow speed

Views : 1038

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 21:31   #1
Volvomassa

Default Volvo 960 II -97 vibrates in very slow speed

Hi. My Volvo 960 II -97 2.5 Automatic vibrates when I accelerate from 0 to 40 km/h. It may calm down if I drive neatly but sometimes whole car vibrates. Also if I'm on lights and idling, I can feel the steering wheel vibrating mildly like the engine was running roughly. Any ideas?

The drive shaft support bearing has been changed and this may be worse after that. Does badly assembled drive shaft support bearing feel in the driving wheel when driving?

Volvomassa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvomassa For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 21:46   #2
stegreg
VOC Member

if you had to split the driveshaft to replace the mount, did you mark both halves before separating....could be out of balance if its gone back together a few splines out.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:34   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvomassa View Post
Hi. My Volvo 960 II -97 2.5 Automatic vibrates when I accelerate from 0 to 40 km/h. It may calm down if I drive neatly but sometimes whole car vibrates. Also if I'm on lights and idling, I can feel the steering wheel vibrating mildly like the engine was running roughly. Any ideas?

The drive shaft support bearing has been changed and this may be worse after that. Does badly assembled drive shaft support bearing feel in the driving wheel when driving?

It's quite comon for the propshaft centre bearing (drive shaft support bearing) to not find its vibration free position when first fitted. What has worked for me and several others is to crawl underneath (do NOT jack the car up) and slacken the 4 retaining botls on the centre bearing by 1/2 a turn each.
Take the car for a short drive, accelerating gently to the speed it vibrated worse at or just over and return home.
Crawl under again (without jacking the car up) and tighten the 4 bolts evenly, a little at a time. Once completely tight, take the car for a test drive to confirm it's now vibration free. If not, repeat the process. Usually only takes one try though.

As for your other problem, it sounds as if the IACV is blocked or not working - the fuel ECU is meant to bring the idle speed up to cover extra electrical load such as lights, heater/A-C fans etc when idling.

Also when was your ATF last changed? Old/dirty ATF can cause a lumpy idle, almost as if there's a heavy misfire.

I'm guessing you've already checked the basics such as plugs, distributor cap/rotor arm or coil packs if it has the instead.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:49   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

First thing I would look at is the engine and gearbox mounts
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 14:12   #5
martin calva

In somebody else's car (not a Volvo) vibration at low speeds, including steering wheel shake, turned out to be due to a faulty/damaged tyre.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 14:24   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post
In somebody else's car (not a Volvo) vibration at low speeds, including steering wheel shake, turned out to be due to a faulty/damaged tyre.
The big clue here Martin is he recently replaced the propshaft centre bearing. Knowing they don't always fiond the exact "vibration free" position at first, that's the most likely cause, especially as it's only been present since he did the job.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 23:12   #7
Eventoday

Just reading this thread. Curious if you ever found the culprit
Eventoday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eventoday For This Useful Post: