Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027270

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2020, 10:35   #701
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I agree that it's definitely annoying they knew of the problem and didn't post information on it - they normally do in fairness and this is the first "anomaly" i've come across with any of their products.

Hopefully your paint trick will work well, i would have suggested insulating tape as it tends to be more durable than paint. That said if the paint is reasonably well cured it should also do the job well.

I wonder if the warning about the VW T5 and Jag XJS on the listing (and the website too) are because owners of those have reported a similar problem to yours but for some reason it was thought these vehicles were peculiar in their bulbholders?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 11:41   #702
Othen
Premier Member

Default 286 LED Bulbs - Beware (continued)

I have just checked the LED i had modified with some paint and fitted to the rear console this morn - and found it has blown fuse #4 again. There must have been some intermittent short circuit.

I've concluded the 4 post bulbs from Classic Car LEDs Ltd are useless for a 244, and will go in the bin. I'll go back to incandescent bulbs, maybe look for some 286 LEDs from some place in China.

:-(

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 11:47   #703
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I agree that it's definitely annoying they knew of the problem and didn't post information on it - they normally do in fairness and this is the first "anomaly" i've come across with any of their products.

Hopefully your paint trick will work well, i would have suggested insulating tape as it tends to be more durable than paint. That said if the paint is reasonably well cured it should also do the job well.

I wonder if the warning about the VW T5 and Jag XJS on the listing (and the website too) are because owners of those have reported a similar problem to yours but for some reason it was thought these vehicles were peculiar in their bulbholders?
Hi Dave,

I'd already written another post saying the paint trick had failed before I saw your last. I'm really irritated with Classic Car LED Ltd. I suspect you are right and the company has just responded when a VW or Jaguar owner has complained.

I'll put the LEDs in the bin and look for some that might work on eBay. It is irritating when a product turns not to do as it is supposed to.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 16th, 2020 at 11:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 12:35   #704
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi Dave,

I'd already written another post saying the paint trick had failed before I saw your last. I'm really irritated with Classic Car LED Ltd. I suspect you are right and the company has just responded when a VW or Jaguar owner has complained.

I'll put the LEDs in the bin and look for some that might work on eBay. It is irritating when a product turns not to do as it is supposed to.

Alan
Unfortunately, like any other supplier, they can only respond to the feedback their customers give.

However, having spoken to Duncan at Classic Car LEDs on many occasions, i suspect if you phone him up he'll do you a deal on the other LEDs i linked to in view of the fact the originals didn't have any sort of warning they may be unsuitable.

If all else fails, give these a try :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upto-10X-...V/222864228870

They are working for me after receieving a batch of dodgy similar ones from a different seller and aimportantly, only have a +ve and a -ve side, no extra contacts!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 13:09   #705
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Following on from David'e very reasonable posts above.

I would just ask the seller to give a refund / supply to you some correct items that will work / hopefully clarify their listing.

But I appreciate that some irritations just have to be scratched.

I hope that helps.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 16th, 2020 at 13:19.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 14:57   #706
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Following on from David'e very reasonable posts above.

I would just ask the seller to give a refund / supply to you some correct items that will work / hopefully clarify their listing.

But I appreciate that some irritations just have to be scratched.

I hope that helps.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Hi Comrade,

Perhaps you are right, but I really can't be bothered with the faff for something that only cost a fiver. I'll put the LEDs is my big box of things that might come in useful one day.

:-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 15:00   #707
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Unfortunately, like any other supplier, they can only respond to the feedback their customers give.

However, having spoken to Duncan at Classic Car LEDs on many occasions, i suspect if you phone him up he'll do you a deal on the other LEDs i linked to in view of the fact the originals didn't have any sort of warning they may be unsuitable.

If all else fails, give these a try :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upto-10X-...V/222864228870

They are working for me after receieving a batch of dodgy similar ones from a different seller and aimportantly, only have a +ve and a -ve side, no extra contacts!
I'm over my irritation - Bob and I have just been for a really good walk and it is a lovely day. I'm sure Classic Car LEDs is a reputable enough company - it isn't worth making a fuss over a fiver so I'll just put this one down to experience and as I told Comrade Stephen, put the LEDs in my box of bits.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 09:33   #708
Othen
Premier Member

Default Classic Car LEDs Ltd

The company has sent me an email saying it would add Volvo 200 series cars to the list the bulbs will not work with, so some small good has come of this :-)
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 13:13   #709
Othen
Premier Member

Default Build a Better Mouse Trap...

The SWR turned up in the mail this morn, so the adjustable lumbar support is fitted:

I think it will be okay, the adjuster works (maybe for the first time in a decade) and everything is re-assembled in the Royal Barge. I'll see if I can find an excuse to pop out for an errand in a mo. I must need a tin of curry powder from Morissons...

I'm guessing the Royal Barge had heated seats when it was made:

I don't think I'll be re-fitting that!

Old Apr 17th, 2020, 14:24   #710
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent work Alan! Hopefully it does what it says on the tin now!

As for the seat heater pads, you can buy replacements relatively cheaply to regain your bum warmers! They're also excellent for back pain too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PCS-Uni...V/223817970155

There are others available, thought i'd show you those so you can see what's available.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: