Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T3 Engine

Views : 8710

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 10:35   #1
Spitfire4
Master Member

Default T3 Engine

Interested to know what people think of the T3 engine, is it a bit underpowered for the xc40 and what average mpg do you get?

Thanks
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 01:39   #2
Premier Member

We have a T3 automatic and I was a little worried about the power before we bought it, as I had only driven the Diesel engined demonstrator.
It has proved to be ok; the power is more than enough for normal day to day driving, and the only time that the relatively low power is obvious is under hard acceleration, when it gets a little rough and runs out of steam quickly.
We have had the car 15 months and were averaging just less than 900 miles per month before lockdown, doing a mixture of short local journeys with a couple of weekly 70 mile trips thrown in. Over that mileage, it has given a reasonably steady 39 mpg. Longer, 100 mile plus, journeys see it get well into the mid 40’s.
We are generally very happy with it.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 08:55   #3
Durovigutum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire4 View Post
Interested to know what people think of the T3 engine, is it a bit underpowered for the xc40 and what average mpg do you get?

Thanks
I have a T3 FWD manual R Design which I bought new last December, having come from a T2 V40 that I leased for 4 years. Our current second car is a 2006 Mini Cooper Convertible with a 1.6 NA petrol engine. In the last 15 years we've had a RAV4 diesel, Saab 93 diesel, a couple of Audi A3s with the 1.8 and 2 litre turbo petrol engine, Mazda 3 2 litre petrol NA, Kia Ceed 2 litre diesel and a Zafira with a 1.6 NA petrol - so a decent range to compare against.

I REALLY like the engine in the T3. The 3 cylinder is "interesting" - the noise it makes and the slight external unevenness is reminiscent of a V8. To drive it is quick but not fast, yet is quiet and flexible. I really liked the 1.8T in the Audi A3 I had, which had 160 BHP in a lighter car, but the T3 has more character. The power arrives nicely so you don't have to think too hard about driving it, compared to the Mini where you need to get in the right power band to make it shift (although when you do it is faster - but the Mini has other qualities, especially the joy of a "rawness" with the roof down and the lack of power everything).

Does it feel underpowered? In August I towed a 1 tonne caravan, with a full boot and myself and four children in the car (the Mrs had the dogs and one passenger in the mini) and it was acceptable, never feeling out of breath and probably no slower than the Zafira without anything on board.

MPG I would say is a bit lower than expected, but the car only has 4k miles on the clock and my experience is that is takes up to 15k before you get the best MPG figures. Pootling around town will see 20-30, but a 10 mile cross country trip to a county football game last Saturday and same again home saw 42 on the trip computer. The towing trip above (~90 miles on 60 MPH A roads) claimed 38. In comparison the V40 probably gave me 4-5 MPG more, but was at 40k miles when it went back and was well run in.

The T3 XC40 is FAR quieter than the V40. Frequently the Mrs will sit at 70 in 4th on the motorway as the noise doesn't penetrate the cabin to prompt you to change up, while the pre-Covid adult passengers almost all commented on how quiet the car was.

All round very happy with the car. I wanted a manual and a petrol, I didn't need more than the 163 BHP and at 6'3 need the perfect ergonomics of all Volvos. It's approaching a year old now but with a job change reducing my mileage by 6k a year and then Covid reducing the "SDP" miles I've decided to pay the PCP and keep the car for 6 years - there's nothing out there to tempt me away, probably until the full EV version is "affordable" (available?).
Durovigutum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Durovigutum For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 09:25   #4
RonFleet

As those above have said, it's an interesting engine and provides enough power for my driving. On motorway runs, I see mid-40s and, since I've had the car, VOC says it's done 37.1 mpg - most of which has been local(ish) driving.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RonFleet For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 15:38   #5
Spitfire4
Master Member

Thanks I think you’ve convinced me, garage is letting me have one for the day just to make sure, will take it up hill and dale, with some dual carriageway driving too!
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 18:24   #6
Spitfire4
Master Member

Well taken the plunge and ordered a T3 Auto Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver with blonde interior, added intellisafe surround as an option, delivered beginning of March, so now the wait!
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 18:36   #7
RonFleet

I don't think you'll regret it. I still love my T3. The engine makes some unusual sounds under load but it just gets on with it. The car is so comfortable and the ride excellent (coming from a Mercedes Benz C200, that's praise indeed). And the boot space is so useful compared to the Merc.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RonFleet For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 09:52   #8
Kentishman

I've got a T3 Inscription Pro on order due any time now and I'm well excited, except for the nagging feeling that it's stuck somewhere near Calais and I might get hit with further import taxes if we leave the EU with no deal
Kentishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 15:17   #9
Spitfire4
Master Member

Hope it arrives soon, ours isn’t due to March next year, lots of sleeps yet!
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 16:21   #10
Ash1807

I have had the T3 R-Design for 3 months now. The engine is good enough to dart about. Sounds funny though, when pushed to the upper limits, expected from a 3 pot engine.

Not done even 1K miles, so my mileage is unrepresentative for now - 30mpg
All in all, love the XC40's design, quiet ride and so well engineered.
Ash1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash1807 For This Useful Post: