Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiper mounting loose entering bulkhead causing wiper ju...

Views : 722

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:25   #1
ChrisWT5

Default Wiper mounting loose entering bulkhead causing wiper ju...

I'm getting bad wiper judder on the drivers side. The mount for the wiper arm is loose - can be moved by hand as though its bolts have worked loose. I'm no expert but it looks difficult to get access to this bulkhead area to check bolts. Any ideas? The cause could be from acorns (as in oak tree)having been lodged under the wiper arm causing undue stress between the arm and mounting point. Will this upset the windscreen seal to get access? Thx.
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 13:36   #2
giles

Default RE: Wiper mounting loose entering bulkhead causing wiper ju...

Hi,
You'll need to undo both the wiper arms and remove them and following this simply undo the 6 or 7 torx screws and slide the trim cover out it has nothing to do with the windscreen seal so don't worry! , you might need to remove the 2 1 inch drain pipes from the trim? Anyway once removed you'll clearly see the wiper mechanism also any water that has collected in the fan housing!?
Very straightforward procedure.
Regards Giles.
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 14:50   #3
ChrisWT5

Default RE: Wiper mounting loose entering bulkhead causing wipe...

...Tried it after I did the heater housing. Undid the nut on the shaft but w/o a manual didnt want to attempt forcing the arm off the shaft. Any tips (it felt quite secure)? I presume its a spined shaft? I did get a peak at the underneath - it seems to be mounted onto a cast bracket which seemed to be moving - is that right? or am I coming across a more serious prob?? Would u recom. buying the Haynes Man? Appreciate the help.
Old Jan 4th, 2003, 21:43   #4
giles

Default RE: Wiper mounting loose entering bulkhead causing wipe...

Hi,
the easiest way to remove the wiper arm is to undo the bolt, fold back the wiper arm and then with one hand on the arm by the nut and the other hand holding the arm which will be at a right angle apply a small amount of pressure to the right angle end so to speak and it will lift very easily.It is splined so you'll just need to be firm but fair!
As for the water ingress, if water has found its way into the fan housing it can find its way underneath the carpet because it can run down behind the fan housing and collect on the floor.If you remove the trim below the glove box via the 3 torx screws you can very easily pull back the carpet and you'll be able to see the extent of any leak.Incidentally once the trim is removed,and carpet pulled back you'll clearly see a black piece of plastic trim to the right of the footwell which once removed by simply sliding backwards will reveal,if bent down with a torch, a small black rubber tube attached to the bottom of the white fan housing and going into the floor of the car.This simply pushes into grommet in the floor and can be prised out allowing you to ensure it isn't blocked.Again this is very easy to do.
Regards Giles.