Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

That '86 360 GLE i. Report and Help with one

Views : 1363

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:18   #1
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default That '86 360 GLE i. Report and Help with one

Well, we got the car home and... basically its fairly sound. Most of the problems are easily fixable, including the fact that it runs like the proverbial 'bag o spanners' from cold start up (which is why it was running when we got there huh!! I've freed up the windows and the sun roof wasn't working just because someone else had wired it up like a telephone LOL. The doors again are just a matter of de-seizing and I replaced the barrel in the petrol cap with one that we had from a previous encounter.

Only real signs of rust are underneath the nearside jacking point which buckled slightly when I put the stand underneath it, harumph. How much to put that right I wonder. All the fluids are pretty shot and need changing in a hurry but otherwise the engine seems to be sound.

As regards steering/suspension etc. all OK apart from a slight pull to the left and a slight wheel wobble, hopefully just a balancing and tracking thing, rather than new bearings and tyres.

Brakes are all OK, I think, possibly a bit spongy, hopefully a good bleed and a fluid change will fix that 'cos the fluid looks really old.

The engine runs really cold, so probably a new thermostat and definitely a coolant change. Does anyone know if you can convert it from that noisy viscous coupling to an electric fan?

Only problem that is difficult is the gear change. It is a long way over to the right, so that when you're in 1st the gear looks like it's in 3rd. Also, 5th is a bit difficult to engage 'cos of the plastic housing in the way.

With a view to correcting that, I've been trying to get the gearbox and rear diff out of it to adjust/straighten the gear linkage but without much success, I've got everything out except for I can't get the propshaft/torque tube off the input shaft of the gearbox. Annoying thing.

If anyone has any experience of this problem can they please help me out.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:59   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: That '86 360 GLE i. Report and Help with

yes...and getting it out is a PIG. theres a site about it somewhere - search in google for volvo 360 and youll find it somewhere down the list.

basically you have to break out that pipe which links the two sides of the fuel tank = a real bitch of a job!

sorry not to be of more help - never done it myself, but you ought to find that site easily. it has pics and all!

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:04   #3
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

ps: can you get me some photos of the leccy sunroof please? :)

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:55   #4
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Sorry for not replying sooner, but been away somewhere with no internet :( Yep getting the gearbox out was a complete pig, but luckily I didn't have to break any fuel hoses, only the one coming out of the fuel pump :) Getting the box back in, we damaged the rear diff cover, but a new one was only 21 quids from the dealer so not too much of a loss. I got another gear change rod and bracket from a scrappy and after all that work, the gear change feels a lot tighter :) but still lies over to the right :( Never mind, at least I can now feel what gear I'm in.

While we had the car grounded we did a lot of service items on it like changing oils, fluids, belts including timing belt, thank goodness we did 'cos it was starting to split. The heater valve was very stiff so we freed it off. Unfortunately after it was freed off it started to leak, so new one of those put on, complete nightmare as, because the car has a/c, all the hoses are in the way.

We overhauled the fuel injection system, cleaned out all the gunk and then when we tested the injectors, found that instead of spraying a nice atomised spray, they were squirting. Apparently according to the experts the pins in them wear out. New set ordered, ouch to the back pocket on that one, but after fitting new ones and cleaning out all of the gunk from the manifold and throttle body etc. car goes like a rocket.

Had the tracking done today as the tyres were vibrating like mad at speed and also there was a slight pull to the left. Found that instead of a toe-in there was a toe-out, so someone had set them up thinking the car was a front wheel drive.

The a/c is needles to say, non-functional, and apparently is on the old gas (r12 is it?), but now they have replacement gas so am going to get it checked out at the weekend.

I'm working on the pictures of the sunroof for you, after the car is fixed and all washed and clean, I'll post one up.

One more thing, the nearside front jacking point is a bit soft. Is this a potential MOT fail, and if so is it easy to fix? At the moment I'm placing my axle stands on the end of the rear engine bearer. Also, the car doesn't have a dim-dip relay, so is it easy to wire one up, considering I've got the green Volvo books with good wiring diagrams and tons of patience, or is it not worth the trouble?

More news I'm sure as more glitches are found.

Andy
Old Jul 28th, 2002, 18:25   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

thanks!

If there's no relay...how does it work? am I just being stupid..?

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jul 28th, 2002, 23:53   #6
pettaw
Forum Support Team

the dim-dip relay means that when you put lights on position 1 and turn on ignition, the main dipped beam lights come on but only at approx 7 volts instead of the usual 12 volts. Older cars without the dim-dip function just have the sidelights/parking lights, which are only 4W and therefore rather dim and rubbish. Other functions work on different relays.

In fact it was easy to wire in the dim-dip relay using the wiring diagrams and then I secured it to the bulkhead where it's supposed to be on the newer cars.

Andy

PS: Now that we've cured all the other noises, I can hear a slight clonking from the back axles at 30mph, also in neutral the g/box is a bit noisy, might be due for a replacement. Do you know whether Volvo do proper reconditioned boxes or is it scrappy time?
Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:23   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

interesting about the lights - yes - I know what you mean now.

scrappy time - its not worth paying top-dollar for a re-con - at least I wouldnt think so!

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:18   #8
pettaw
Forum Support Team

I think scrappy is the way forward. Phoned the dealer just for a laugh, and got one, 1300 quid for an exchange unit!!

Andy