Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is It Strong Enough?

Views : 2722

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 19:33   #1
JOEYBIRD

hi there, does anybody know if my '91 2ltr turbo 940 estate will be strong enough to tow a horse box and my heavyweight hunter? I did do it many years ago, but i have since been told that the weight regulations have changed on what you are aloud to pull. I am thinking of having a tow bar fitted on it but there's not really much point if i can't use it!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 20:42   #2
George Holmer

Expect to rev it hard which will wear the turbo out. I am sure it will manage fine really but I would not like to tow reguarly with a 2 litre, even less a 2 litre turbo. I find them gutless. The weight regulations have not really changed, if you have a licence that you got before Jan 1 1997, then you can tow as much as you like but not exceeding the limits stated by the manufacturer of the car and tow bar and it is the maximum laden weight that counts. I.e, if you have a car with a maximum towing weight of 1650 kgs and you have a tow bar rated for 1800 kg, then the maximum you can tow is 1650 kgs. If the trailer then has a maximum laden weight of 1700 kg, you are illegal even if the actual weight of the trailer and load is 1585 kg.

If you are going to tow a lot, get a RR. There is no going back, I promise you.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:28   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I don't get that George. Are you saying it would be illegal to pull the empty trailer, even if the actual towed weight was below the maximum stated by the car manufacturer, and the combined weight was below 3.5 tonnes?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:37   #4
740Estate
Undercover 740

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm

He's saying you have to have B+E if you dont have 'grandfather rights' (on your driving licence)

..and with regards the vehicle and trailer, that your towbar may say it can take 3 tons in weight. That doesnt mean it can take it, as it is the Vehicle's rating that counts. Similarly if you have a Car rated at 1800kgs maximum laden weight (Car plus trailer) sticking a trailer with a rating of 4 tons on it is naughty and you cant do it, even if you are only carrying a bacon sandwich in it, as the combination exceeds the maximum laden weight

It's all about figures, not physical capabilities
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality

Last edited by 740Estate; Aug 7th, 2006 at 10:44. Reason: fat fingers, small keyboard
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:50   #5
740Estate
Undercover 740

http://www.gocaravanning.com/towcars/volvo.html

Thats a useful site
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 13:28   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I still don't get it. Are you really saying that it is the theoretical maximum permitted weight that counts, not the actual weight of the trailer plus bacon sandwich? So if the trailer weighed empty say 500 kg, but had a theoretical maximum capacity of 4 tonnes, I still couldn't pull it with my 2 tonne car even if I kept the towed weight down to the recommended 80%, and the combination did not exceed the maximum permitted weight which I think is 3.5 tonnes?
Is the car also assumed to be loaded to its theoretical maximum capacity, or is it the actual loading that counts?
I used to think I understood the towing rules, even though I sometimes break them. Now I find it is as clear as mud!
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 13:38   #7
740Estate
Undercover 740

This is what the government's agency says on it..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Dr...073&chk=BIZx8Z

Quote:
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.
The MAM is:

Quote:
In this article reference is made to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight.
it then goes on about caravans:

Quote:
As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.
read that in conjunction with this

http://www.gocaravanning.com/towcars/volvo.html

And hopefully it is as clear as......

Mud!! No doubt someone will come along who is in the Transport business with an Artic truck, theyre usually damn good with MAM's and Gross vehicle weights as it's their business

Last edited by 740Estate; Aug 7th, 2006 at 13:45.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 13:49   #8
740Estate
Undercover 740

My mention of a 'huge' trailer on a vehicle, if the plated weights takes the combined weight over 4.25 tonnes, it will make it illegal for B+E driving as it's then in a wholly different taxable class, tachos required, et al. My father had probs with this on a combination he used to use when he was stopped once.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 15:33   #9
st5ve
S60 R

Your Hunter must be around 600 - 700kg, I would use a 760 or 960 or a 940 2.3. I think you would be pushing the limits of the turbo and engine, whilst it may do it short term, I don't think your 2l would be up to the job on a regular basis.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 00:40   #10
LankyTim
Missing the point

They go off the maximum gross weight of the trailer, a 2 ton trailer is still counted as 2 tons even if when empty it only weighs 1 ton. The maximum gross weight should be on a manufacturers plate somewhere. I guess it saves plod taking you over a weigh bridge before they can prosecute you.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote