Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda Warning Light - ON -

Views : 1056

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 16:06   #1
Marcel

Hi All,

Last week while driving home the Lambda warning light came on on my '95 855 T5 Auto. I read the codes from the sockets and noted code 231 on pin A2 " Long term fuel mixture too weak or too rich in part load stage." Reset the codes.

Today, virtually a week later, it came on again. Same code 231.
I then searched on here for any information and found the article on engine vacuum lines ( rubber elbows.) I looked at the one at the side of the inlet manifold by the steering pump, that appeared ok, without actually removing it.

What i did find was there is a 2" solid pipe coming from below the throttle housing and comes up and over to the front and enters the radiator housing, below the relay carrier. It enters via a larger diameter rubber hose and this had a 1" slit in the outer casing. It also had an inner layer of some kind of mesh or gauze. COULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM ? This would appear to be some kind of oil / air cooler. What is this and what does it do.

One final question if I may be so bold. I have a K&N filter fitted and have noticed a length of about 8" small diameter rubber tube ( with a blue marking band on the end. it comes from below the air filter housing and doesn't go any where ! IS THIS RIGHT ?

Many thanks,

Marcel
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 21:47   #2
Andy
Master Member

Default RE: Lambda Warning Light - ON -

Check out http://www.t5uk.com/main.htm and click on Boost controllers. That should show you where the blue pipe should go. I think from the middle section of the boost control solenoid to the big pipe going to your air filter.
Hope that helps.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 21:51   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I would say the slit in your 2" pipe is the Lambda problem.
Your discription seems to be for the inlet pipe from the intercooler.
Try patching with some duct tape to prove it.
The other pipe seems to be as Adny suggests.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 16:42   #4
Marcel

Andy,

Thanks m8. You were right. the K&N wass pulled down deep into the bottome half of the air filter box and consequently, the blue pipe had come off.

Marcel.
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 16:47   #5
Marcel

Chris,

Got a new intercooler pipe from volvo today. £ 19.00 inc VAt and discount. Fitted in 5 Mins and makes the throttle seem a little more responsive, if that makes any sense. Also seems an increase in power with kickdown. The power must have dropped off with the slit in the pipe.

One thing that concerns me though, is that there was traces of oil in the pipe and in the top of the intercooler. There were also traces of oil blowout from the dipstick.Can this be expected from an engine with 170k on it or should I check the pipes for a blockage ?

Thanks,

Marcel.
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 20:24   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I would have a look at the crankcase breather system, clean / renew as required.
There will always be some oil in the intake pipework but it should not be leaking from dipstick, oil cap etc. at least mine doesn't at 140k now I've cleaned out the breather pipework and replaced elbows etc.
Have a search on this forum I'm sure I've been over this before.

Happy New Year.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote