Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow Chains

Views : 945

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 15:38   #1
fussy

I have a V70 1998 TDi with 205/55 x 16 wheels/tyres fitted.
According to the volvo brochure only volvo snow chains can be used on this size tyre, due to a risk to the disk-brakes being caused by other non-volvo chains. Is this just another of those recommendations being made to make you buy volvo or is there some substance to it??
I would rather I didn't have to spend £250 on a set!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:28   #2
warthog
VOC Member

Default RE: Snow Chains

Hi,

I have a '95 850 T5 with 205/50 16 P Zero tyres fitted on the standard T5 16" rims.

From my previous car - a (Shock Horror!!) Renault Espace, I have a set of TRAK snow chains that were originally for 195/60 14 tyres. These fit the 850 fine without any fouling of bodywork or brakes. They fit with a sort of spider over the outside face of the wheel thus holding the chain on the tyre without the need for any chain etc to be on the inside face of the tyre.

They are not cheap (I think now around £150) but are extremely easy and quick to fit so you're more likely to use them to go a short distance than if it took you many minutes grovelling in the snow and ice to fit.

They worked wonders on the Espace, I shall see how well they improve grip on the T5 in a couple of weeks when we drive to the French Alps skiing.

Cheers

Brian