Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing front window and locking motor assy

Views : 4851

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 13:33   #21
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
Can I make one point, when the door card goes back on make sure that the 'lip' at the top sits over correctly and flush with the glass (pic 6). Found that out after spending 15 minutes scratching my head wondering why there was a gap, doh.

Gatos, do you know if the plastic door lock that protrudes up when you lock and unlock the doors unscrews off the metal 'pole'
No it is molded on the pin. However, it is much easier to replace the complete thing.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 20:01   #22
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
No it is molded on the pin. However, it is much easier to replace the complete thing.
Ahh bugger, wrecked the top of mine when it got stuck, thought they might be unscrewies. Cheers.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 20:34   #23
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
Ahh bugger, wrecked the top of mine when it got stuck, thought they might be unscrewies. Cheers.

Let me know if you need the front or rear and I'll send it to you

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 22:48   #24
Whagwan

Would you mind re-uploading the VIDA handle and panel instructions you posted earlier in this thread as they don't appear to be loading for me?
Whagwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 22:53   #25
gatos
Premier Member

There is a problem with the forum atm. Can't upload attachments/photos and everything uploaded previously does not show atm. Will PM you my email shortly

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:27   #26
kstinius

Default Removing exterior trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Undo that screw which secures the external door trim

Remove both internal and external door trims
Hello,

I would like to remove and repaint the black metal exterior window trim along the door, as it is pitted and ugly from living outdoors.

If I remove the screws at either end, does it just lift off the door? Or is there any other fastener along the length for me to break? Is the rubber lip just pressed on? Can it also be easily removed and replaced after painting? Is the rubber plug which goes in the end a separate part number?

Thanks and regards,
-stephen
Myrtle Beach
kstinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 21:52   #27
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinius View Post
Hello,

I would like to remove and repaint the black metal exterior window trim along the door, as it is pitted and ugly from living outdoors.

If I remove the screws at either end, does it just lift off the door? Or is there any other fastener along the length for me to break? Is the rubber lip just pressed on? Can it also be easily removed and replaced after painting? Is the rubber plug which goes in the end a separate part number?

Thanks and regards,
-stephen
Myrtle Beach
they do just lift off, (after removing screw(s) however end very likely to bend, they feel like very thing aluminum, and IIRC the rubber is molded into trim, however may be worth inquiring about new price

edit

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=243677

not sure if yours is P1, 1.5 or 2 but theres an idea of what parts are potentially available

Last edited by cookie; Apr 27th, 2014 at 21:54.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 22:56   #28
gatos
Premier Member

When you say trim, do you mean the black bit between the window and the metal door? If yes, then I am afraid it is not metal but it is plastic. There is only one screw for the front doors at the rear. THe front is held by the mirror. However, even if you remove the screw, as Cookie has mentioned, most probably you will bent it while trying to remove it. THe safest mand easiest way to get it one without damaging it, is to remove the window and the inside window strip. That way, you can gently wiggle out the trim and do whatever you want with it. I will be changing mine in a couple of weeks, so I will try to make some photos

Nullius in Verba
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 08:40   #29
Nigev40 cheapie

Thanks a million "gatos" and sfromillinois.
This photo guide is so useful to an old geezer like me. This forum is brilliant. The reason
it is brilliant is because of people like yourselves. Thanks again
Nigev40 cheapie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigev40 cheapie For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 22:56   #30
v_forty

Thanks for the super detailed guide Gatos - and for the part Gary. Got cold fingers but all sorted this afternoon.

On my front passenger door, there was a small green clip holding the door pin rod in, which needed to be swivelled/turned before the rod would come off the mechanism - easy when you know it's there!
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v_forty For This Useful Post: