Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Genuine Knott brake shoes or aftermarket ??

Views : 864

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:30   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default Genuine Knott brake shoes or aftermarket ??

Should I save a few quid by buying cheaper ?
If so which make(s) are good and which to avoid ?

I wont be buying anything described by its vendor as having 6-months warranty against delamination, a few of those on evilbay. Wont be buying anything from a vendor like that. Have they not heard of both 12-month warranty by law, and the extended EU directive on longevity of goods ? Of course they have, just dont give a monkeys. GGrrrrr.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:39   #2
green van man
Premier Member

When I replaced my ALKO brake shoes I used ALKO, by shopping around I got them for £56 delivered, that was 4 years ago and no sign of delamination with acceptable wear on annual inspection since.
Next time it will be ALKO again as if they fail sure as eggs is eggs it will be when you are away from home.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 11:43   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

well I went for genuine, £40 off evilbuy, next day delivery.
Next day didnt happen, probably ordered to late in the day for it
Next next day happened, 8am knock on the door, bloke had cleared off before the dog barked. Useless lazy twit.
Next next next day he came again, not first thing, last, 4pm, well after his office said he would. Grrr. Good thing I had stuff to do.
What did I get - an opaque bag full of bits, parcel had been smashed up in transit, refused to accept it, got lip off the delivery boy and had to tell him quite assertively not to tell me what I can and cant do on my own doorstep. Grrrr.
So, another parcel is being sent today. I'll let y know....

APC couriers. They all the same, someone in the chain doesnt give a toss about other peoples belongings.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 19:15   #4
green van man
Premier Member

From memory I used Western towing, based in Devon I think. Had no problem with delivery and have used them for a few things now.
Don't forget the new hub nuts, the ALKO and Knott ones are one use only. I carry 4 in the van as sure as eggs if I need to pull a hub while away I'm likely to forget something and have to take it off again and as there are 2 sides I like to cover all bases.
It also gives me plenty of time to order replacements when I use 2 every year, can get them locally but far more expensive than off the internet.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote