Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 stalling

Views : 976

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2017, 17:27   #1
Mystroe

Default V40 stalling

A bit of background to this problem.

In the last week, my oil light has been coming on as I drive around corners.

Friday just gone, somebody tried to steal my V40 - suffice to say it was laden with builder's tools.

Saturday, the kids were playing in the car (after I'd taken most of the tools out).

Sunday morning, the battery was flat - the drivers door was ajar and I distinctly remember one of my kids opening it the day before- presumably the internal lights had drained the battery.

I tried to jump start the car with my neighbour's car hooked up to the battery - but after 20 minutes gave up and nipped down to a car parts store and picked up a new battery.

Installed the new battery and my V40 started up instantly. Took it for a drive down the road and mysteriously it now stalls quite a bit when I put the brakes on - with clutch down.

All suggestions appreciated. (Previously for a year or so if the engine was idling for some time it would stall)

Could it be the low oil levels?

Prior to the attempted theft, the dashboard warning for lights were on. One registration plate bulb had gone. I changed this. But for some reason both the dipped head lights are not working. I changed one dipped headlight bulb, and this doesn't work. Perhaps a relay or fuse?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the stalling would be well appreciated.

(Lastly - might be relevant - I had a low battery incident some months ago - with a worrying warning light on the dashboard. After investigating I found that it was the immobiliser warning light - but since I was driving around with no problems - it begs the questions whether the immobiliser works or not?)
Mystroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 18:08   #2
Mystroe

[Condensed version]

Car stalls when I apply brakes and clutch. All suggestions appreciated
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 21:13   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I don't know whether my comment's relevant but if your car's got the GDI engine I recollect on here that when a battery is reconnect the electronic gizmo's have to 'relearn' your engine and this can cause problems.

I don't own a GDI myself so others on here can call this 'rubbish' if I've got it wrong & apologies in advance, but it might be what's caused the problem.

Don't know what the cure is if that's the issue - perhaps a search on here might help.

One other thought, perhaps jumping the car caused the problem - not all electrics take jumping too well?

Good luck in getting it sorted.
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 21:14   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

... the dead dipped beam 'might' be caused by u/s relays - if so they are a quickish fix when you pull the light control unit & can be replaced by soldering in new'uns (about £2.50 a pr)

But it's best to get the other stuff working also in case that's the cause not the relays.
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 21:47   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

With regards the oil light coming on when going round corners: have you not thought of pulling the dipstick and physically checking the oil level - it is the only way. Chances are the dipstick will be dry.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 22:58   #6
V40T4R

Maybe the dreadful wire loom under the radiator....
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 08:18   #7
canis
Non Fragile

These are all unrelated issues.

The oil light comes on for only two reasons: Either there is a serious mechanical problem, or the engine hasn't been routinely serviced. Change the oil immediately. Or call a taxi.

The lights are an electrical problem. Faulty wiring, or damaged electronics. Remote diagnosis for this will need a seperate thread of it's own.

The stalling is undoubtedly caused by the engine's electronic system needing to re-learn, it needs to measure engine conditions for data on which to base it's decisions, and lacking that data it will make mistakes. You could argue (with absolute validity) that a stalling engine is something it could learn from in a "oops, I'd better not do that again" type of way, and I would agree with you, but we didn't program the thing.

The re-learn procedure is described here by our resident GDi guru, druid:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...57&postcount=4

Show your car some love.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 15:11   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

How do we know the OP has a GDi, or is it a case of assuming he does by the symptoms described.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 15:30   #9
canis
Non Fragile

Oh, good point, I mis-read Charles' reply. My error.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 18:53   #10
Mystroe

Thanks all for the replies. Really do appreciate it.

Ahh yes - must confess it is a GDI. Now despite some other members doubts - I stand by the GDI and think it's a good motor. Perhaps my next vehicle will be a mistsubishi or even a volvo! Only downside of the GDI I can attest to is, um, changing the battery.

I've tried the relearn procedure, minus the cleaning of the throttle body/valve. Thanks Canis and Druid. Car tends to cut out after about 7-8 minutes of idling in neutral. When driving around, it's better once the motor has warmed up but still getting stalling.

Topped up with engine oil - so no more oil light. I've always found it difficult to read the dipstick on this car.

Will look into the relays for the lights.