Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

glow plug relay

Views : 413

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2017, 12:20   #1
Willow place

Default glow plug relay

I have replaced all 5 glow plugs (other 5 dead) as the weather here in Spain is starting to go cooler the car has a long turnover before starting,once running no misfires or lumpy running,checked for voltage at a plug nothing ,it appears that the relay is not energising,could I change the relay for another in the fusebox that has the same part number just to prove that the relay may be faulty or for the time being activate the relay by pressing the contact , I cannot find a glow plug circuit diagram and Haynes appear to have left it out of their manual ! I started the car easily an hour ago by using a hair dryer in the air cleaner pipe, thanks in advance for any help.
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 13:57   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Glow plugs don't operate unless it is below 5 degrees, it's more likely you have a timing issue.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 14:32   #3
Willow place

If the timing was out why would the car start ok with just hot air blowing into the air filter hose ? As for the timing is this for the injector pump ? How would that go out of synch and is it easy to check and alter if need be ? Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 16:37   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

This might answer a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
If the timing was out why would the car start ok with just hot air blowing into the air filter hose ?The hot air fooled the intake air temperature sensor into believing the air was warmer, the timing is then advanced As for the timing is this for the injector pump ? Yes How would that go out of synch and is it easy to check and alter if need be ? The belt stretches with age and the timing is effected, usually retards it. You need vol-fcr to check you timing while the car is running Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 10:08   #5
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

^^^^ What he said.
Glow plugs on these are purely for decoration.
I have one of these cars and none of the glow plugs work, it's been like that for at least the last 10 years.Mine starts first time in all weathers.
Your pump timing is out plain and simple.
rudi dudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:13   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

As others have said already, pump timing is critical on these engines. It doesn't need to be out by much to have a dramatic effect on how well the engine starts and runs. Unless you regularly encounter temperatures below freezing, the main function of the glow plugs seems to be to block the holes in the cylinder head!

I recently had to remove the cylinder head on my 1998 V70 Tdi in order to repair damage done by a broken cambelt. Whilst doing this I discovered all the glow plugs were open circuit, i.e. dead and probably had been so for some considerable time.

It only struggled to start once and that was when it got down to -12C; even then it went eventually. However the pump timing was within tolerance.

I replaced the glow plugs anyway since I had the thing in bits and so far it's made no difference whatsoever to the starting performance.

I'd say it's almost certainly a pump timing issue.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 22:18   #7
Willow place

I have posted on the wrong series ! my car is a late 2003/4,it appears to not to have a belt,just locates into a cam (inlet ?) Volvo hombre says it is the coolant temp sensor ! ?