Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights for continental driving

Views : 6330

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 17:33   #1
ukden

Default Headlights for continental driving

My MY18 XC60 is equipped with LED headlights with high beam assist (not adaptive).

Is there a way of adjusting the dip pattern for driving on the right? I cannot find anything in the manual.

Or do I have to resort to sticking gaffa tape on the lens.
If so where?

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 17:42   #2
NickV90

I looked into this at length for my v90 momentum.
There is no way to set these lights for continental driving.

They are supposed not to dazzle but several people flashed me...
NickV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickV90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 17:54   #3
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV90 View Post
They are supposed not to dazzle but several people flashed me...
The adaptive lights are not supposed to dazzle, but the simple (non-adaptive) LED lights most certainly will dazzle oncoming traffic, due to their fixed asymmetric light pattern.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukden For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 19:23   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
The adaptive lights are not supposed to dazzle, but the simple (non-adaptive) LED lights most certainly will dazzle oncoming traffic, due to their fixed asymmetric light pattern.
My XC90 with adaptive headlights have a setting in sensus to temporary change them to right hand drive, my understanding is that non adaptive have a flatter beam pattern and should not dazzle when driving on the right, if you have your car loaded up so it drops the rear end (standard spring suspension) the lights may shine higher and dazzle. But best thing to do if not in the owners manual is call the dealer for advice,

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 17th, 2017 at 19:37.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 21:56   #5
ukden

There is definitely no facility for changing them in Sensus.

They do give a very sharp cut off with the light beam being horinzontal to the offside, but the beam being angled by about 20 to 30 degrees upwards to the nearside in a very clearly defined straight line. It would clearly dazzle oncoming traffic on that side.

The loading of the car is not an issue as the headlight self levelling system works well. It is fascinating when you start the car in the dark. The lights go through a levelling procedure, they first go fully up, then fully down before settling at the correct height to suit the car loading. Very entertaining.

I suspect the answer is going to be blanking part of the light with tape. Very low tech. Unless someone knows better.

Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:17   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
There is definitely no facility for changing them in Sensus.

They do give a very sharp cut off with the light beam being horinzontal to the offside, but the beam being angled by about 20 to 30 degrees upwards to the nearside in a very clearly defined straight line. It would clearly dazzle oncoming traffic on that side.

The loading of the car is not an issue as the headlight self levelling system works well. It is fascinating when you start the car in the dark. The lights go through a levelling procedure, they first go fully up, then fully down before settling at the correct height to suit the car loading. Very entertaining.

I suspect the answer is going to be blanking part of the light with tape. Very low tech. Unless someone knows better.
There is "definitely" a setting in sensus on the XC90 to change to right hand drive. With adaptive led headlights. Normal led will not have this setting.

Screenshot_2017-10-17-23-28-11.jpg

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 18th, 2017 at 00:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:33   #7
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
There is "definitely" a setting in sensus on the XC90 to change to right hand drive. With adaptive led headlights. Normal led will not have this setting.
I have been wondering about this too. With my old XC60 I could just tick the box in the light settings and job done.

However, I too cannot find anything in my new one. I was starting to wonder if it was automatic as in some Jags where the sat nav knows that you are on the other side of the road.

Could you possibly tell me how exactly how to find it in Sensus.

Many thanks.

Mike
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:57   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
I have been wondering about this too. With my old XC60 I could just tick the box in the light settings and job done.

However, I too cannot find anything in my new one. I was starting to wonder if it was automatic as in some Jags where the sat nav knows that you are on the other side of the road.

Could you possibly tell me how exactly how to find it in Sensus.

Many thanks.

Mike
It is in the screen shot in last posting. But that is for XC90.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 10:15   #9
mike95

Sorry had a senior moment and didn't see that!

Thanks a lot. Will have a look at that later. Perhaps it wasn't there as I didn't have the engine running.

Mike
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 12:03   #10
mike95

Just been out and tried it again and, just as other people have reported, the function does not exist in our new MY18 XC60.

I am popping into my dealer tomorrow so will ask the question & report back here afterwards.

Mike