Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS and Trans lights on?

Views : 718

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2020, 22:06   #1
lynturk92

Default ABS and Trans lights on?

Hi folks
Jumped in the 850 tonight to find the Trans and ABS light are staying on.
A quick search through the forum has suggested that the most likely problem is the ABS ECU playing up and needs some dry joints resoldered.
Unfortunatly I cant find any pics ot diagrams of whats needed, does anybody have any info, and/or pics that might help, also where is the ABS unit located?
Thanks in advance for any help
Cal
lynturk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 23:14   #2
djwazza68
Djwazza68

My car has the same issue and I posted this thread a few days ago asking the question.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308659

Rudi Dudi and others think it is pretty straightforward, but I've sent mine off for repair to a guy on eBay. He lives in Lanrkshire and has a few poor comments, but seems reasonable so far.

Robert DIY on YouTube is very helpful with removal of the unit, you just need an E5 Torx socket and small hands!
djwazza68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 12:21   #3
lynturk92

Cheers exactly what I was needing, I used to work in electronics so will have a go myself, one thing to add to the posting is I didnt see mention of using the corect flux when soldering, i think it would be essential for ensuring a good flow and contact.
lynturk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 18:48   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Not sure how much the 850 varies fro the V70, but, when I did mine it was the pins for the plug which had 'dry' joints, with a high powered magnifier you can see the cracks in the solder joints which need reflowing. I just used my regular iron set high and multicore solder (from Maplins when they used to exist). The more difficult part was getting in to the box which had a double overlapped edge filled with mastic, in the end I just butchered the join and sealed it back up with mastic and self amalgamating tape afterwards. In the short term on the V70 I found that wedging a bit of card between the plug and the body of the ABS unit held the dry joints in contact and gave me a breathing space until I had time to do a proper job.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 00:17   #5
Mkengineering
Master Member

Are you sure its the Module at fault and not the abs rings?

I had the same issue on my 850. All i did was change the Rings
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 12:26   #6
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwazza68 View Post
My car has the same issue and I posted this thread a few days ago asking the question.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308659

Rudi Dudi and others think it is pretty straightforward, but I've sent mine off for repair to a guy on eBay. He lives in Lanrkshire and has a few poor comments, but seems reasonable so far.

Robert DIY on YouTube is very helpful with removal of the unit, you just need an E5 Torx socket and small hands!
Hey Buddy,

I have the same issue on my 850 and I’m going in circles trying to get it fixed via the warranty (always comes back with a NFF!). Has yours been fixed? Do you have the chaps details from Lancashire? How long did he take and how much did he charge? Much appreciated.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote