Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wrong fuel used - petrol in a diesel

Views : 1898

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 15:22   #1
huI34

Default Wrong fuel used - petrol in a diesel

Car had about 1/4 tank of diesel, then filled up with aprox. 8 litres of petrol before realising, and then filled the remainder up with diesel (Filled the tank)
Car drove 50 miles home without issue.
Intend to top up the tank when the fuel level drops below 3/4 and continue on.
However I am seeing conflicting ideas upon whether or not this is Ok?
Car is a 2010 60 S60 Diesel D3
Thanks
huI34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 15:25   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

I have done exactly the same thing in the past. About 2 or 3 gallons in a full tank. I drove round locally and kept topping back up with diesel every hour or so. No issues.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:02   #3
Flux
Premier Member

Also did the same about 6 years ago. Put about £7 of petrol on top of 1/4 tank diesel before I realised the black hose was dispensing petrol!! Immediately filled up with diesel and drove around for the next day and a half to get rid of the mixture. Every 100 miles or so I added more diesel so as to reduce the petrol concentration. Achieved some of the best MPG figures bot no adverse effect!...........although I did sell the car about 6 months later so don't know if there was any lasting damage.

Trouble is though that petrol acts as a solvent but in small enough concentrations it might be OK. Roadside assistance people told me that the fuel ratio I had was probably OK and within their 'suggested' tolerances. It's when you fill up with petrol and drive that you know it ain't going to end well.

Last edited by Flux; Jun 19th, 2014 at 18:00.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 17:41   #4
huI34

Thank you for the two responses so far. The fact it already had diesel in the tank should help. Thanks again
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 17:43   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Immediately filled up with diesel and drove around for the next day and a half to get rid of the mixture. Every 100 miles or so I added more diesel so as to reduce the petrol concentration. .
Bet you were tired after a straight 36 hours driving....... Did your wife not question where you were..??...

Regards
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 17:54   #6
Flux
Premier Member

Not a straight 36 hours but did tell her I'd been out all day emptying my tank..............

Last edited by Flux; Jun 19th, 2014 at 17:58.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 17:57   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Doubt that would have made her feel any better...lol
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 18:48   #8
Waggatron

Be careful....modern Diesel engines are not as tolerant on what they run off as the older generation engines due to the fine tolerances and high compression ratios.

Petrol and diesel don't mix as they have different densities. The small amount of petrol will sit as a thin layer above the diesel and although you will get some mixing it will quickly separate out again.

The take off is usually at the bottom of the tank so you will never notice unless you drive till practically empty.

Also the injectors and pump on a Diesel engine are set up for the specific liquid properties of diesel which is more viscous than petrol. This can cause its own problems if a high petrol content is flowed through.

I did the same thing two years ago but fortunately the garage was attached to a Ford dealership who pushed the car into the garage and emptied the tank and cleaned the fuel lines. The service man told me that if it had been a Ford under warranty then this incident would have been logged potentially invalidating any future warranty claims on the engine.

Sorry to sound all "doom and gloom".......
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 21:25   #9
Srat

I did the same thing the day I collected my XC60 from the dealer.

Having just come from a petrol car, I automatically filled from the green nozzle, and put in ~5l of petrol before realising. I then put in ~60l of diesel and topped up every 100 miles until I'd diluted a complete tank full. That was 35K miles and 2 years ago, with no apparent harm.

Strangely enough, I could then see the reason that dealers hand over a £40K car with 5l of fuel in them.

Last edited by Srat; Jun 19th, 2014 at 21:27.
Srat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Srat For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 00:27   #10
huI34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srat View Post
I did the same thing the day I collected my XC60 from the dealer.

Having just come from a petrol car, I automatically filled from the green nozzle, and put in ~5l of petrol before realising. I then put in ~60l of diesel and topped up every 100 miles until I'd diluted a complete tank full. That was 35K miles and 2 years ago, with no apparent harm.

Strangely enough, I could then see the reason that dealers hand over a £40K car with 5l of fuel in them.
Thanks, good to hear that a modern diesel managed Ok, although unfortunatley we ended up putting in closer to 8l of petrol before realising.