Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Comfort of an XC60 R Design Lux + 20" wheels

Views : 2704

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 12:56   #11
yann

Hi I have not posted for a while but do read posts every day while waiting for my XC60 SE Lux and hope you do not mind me jumping in to this thread but have now found someone with the 4c chassis option.

I saw the reply from Simon regarding the 4c chassis which I asked questions about a while back when getting help on here with the ordering of my vehicle.
I cannot get to test drive a vehicle with the 4c chassis and would like to know if Simon could tell me if he thinks the comfort mode is any softer ride than the standard SE Lux.
yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 13:53   #12
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann View Post
Hi I have not posted for a while but do read posts every day while waiting for my XC60 SE Lux and hope you do not mind me jumping in to this thread but have now found someone with the 4c chassis option.

I saw the reply from Simon regarding the 4c chassis which I asked questions about a while back when getting help on here with the ordering of my vehicle.
I cannot get to test drive a vehicle with the 4c chassis and would like to know if Simon could tell me if he thinks the comfort mode is any softer ride than the standard SE Lux.
Yann. I would say that the 4C "Comfort" mode is noticeably softer than the stnd SE Lux ride with the "Sport" mode being slightly firmer than the SE Lux stnd.
It is then the "advanced" mode which makes me smile which really firms/tightens up the suspension and gives you the confidence to throw a 2 tonne SUV round corners like I used to in my younger racing days.
My normal day to day mode is the "Sport" mode with "Comfort" only used when on rough surfaced major roads/motorways when the mother-in-law is onboard.................!!
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 15:40   #13
aew003

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Yann. I would say that the 4C "Comfort" mode is noticeably softer than the stnd SE Lux ride with the "Sport" mode being slightly firmer than the SE Lux stnd.
My normal day to day mode is the "Sport" mode with "Comfort" only used when on rough surfaced major roads/motorways when the mother-in-law is onboard.................!!
I agree, but not only does the suspension change by selecting different modes but the steering weight does esp. when selecting Comfort. I think that the 4C changes the car for the better and is an option well worth considering.

aew003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aew003 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 16:22   #14
yann

Hi Simon and aew003 thanks for the swift reply, I have found the se lux to be just a little firm on the suspension for me even with the tyre pressures down to there minimum pressure.

Volvo cant find me an XC60 with the 4c chassis to try so I have ordered the standard set up, but may have second thoughts after what you have both said.

I am just a little concerned that I may find the comfort mode a little soft for all my driving and do not have the standard mode to switch back to, I think the sport mode would definately be to firm for me as I have a spinal injury. comments on the modes would be very helpfull.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 17:37   #15
aew003

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann View Post
Hi Simon and aew003 thanks for the swift reply, I have found the se lux to be just a little firm on the suspension for me even with the tyre pressures down to there minimum pressure.

Volvo cant find me an XC60 with the 4c chassis to try so I have ordered the standard set up, but may have second thoughts after what you have both said.

I am just a little concerned that I may find the comfort mode a little soft for all my driving and do not have the standard mode to switch back to, I think the sport mode would definately be to firm for me as I have a spinal injury. comments on the modes would be very helpfull.
Personally the only mode that I find (slightly) uncomfortable is Advanced. Comfort is great on motorways, on bumpy, rutted tracks and going over speed bumps! In my opinion the "Sport" name is somewhat mis-leading; it isn't a sports setting it is a comfortable setting that provides a reasonable amount of steering wheel feedback combined with a noticeable reduced roll in the corners when compared to Comfort mode.

aew003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aew003 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 21:40   #16
AngloScot
Master Member

I drive the SE Lux Geartronic which has 18 inch rims and I find the ride fantastic, so smooth on motorways. This is my first Volvo, I previously drove BMW/VW cars. I also bought my car through DTD and got a fantastic deal. So if it's comfort you are looking for I think SE Lux is the way to go.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:38   #17
ChrisL

What car are you coming from? I'd come from 8 years of BMW M sports and Audi S Lines and found the SE far too wallowy and unengaging for me, but found the R Design Lux on 18s much better, still a lot Comfier than the previous cars but still felt I could enjoy the drive on the twisters. Can honestly say that it's lovely and even after 4 hours non stop the seats and suspension are spot on for me
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 12:28   #18
yann

I have a Volvo V70 which I find seems a little more comfortable than the XC60 SE Lux. I wont go into to much detail on this thread because I have already had another thread regarding this.
It is not the car that is at fault but unfortunately my back.

I am just back from my Volvo dealer and it looks like I am to late to order the
4c chassis. They are going to ring Volvo about it on Monday but does not look possible.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 15:51   #19
ChrisL

Ok, if not sounds like the SE is the best option for you
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 20:28   #20
swishtony
Master Member

I'm in the same boat, have a bad back most of the time hence buying a vehicle with higher seating positions. So much easier to get in and out. I've been driving an Audi S6 which I love but getting in and out can be a real pain, I reckon the seats are probably about a foot lower than in the XC60!

I'm currently in enquiry phase with DTD on an SE Lux with 4C chassis, could be the way forward hopefully.