Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drive the deal discounts

Views : 3685

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:36   #11
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishtony View Post
...The DTD quotes allow for some commission for themselves plus the dealer will still be making some profit, that's after an 8k discount! Does this mean that my local dealer can potentially make around 8k selling a single car? Or have I missed something here? It is early for me......
That's probably the case although they always plead poverty and claim they make nothing - they've said that with my last two Volvo purchases.

Just shows what mark up they have been getting in order to run swish and s****y dealerships. OK, maybe some of this discount is swallowed by the manufacturer but the mark up is probably more that we ever thought it was (and they aren't going to tell us what it is!).

The internet has helped increase competition and allowed innovative operators to gain leverage and drive down prices. It's also the case of putting a bit more power into the hands of the customer.

If DTD and similar say they can get a dealer over 100 new customers a year, who is in the box seat now?

BTW - I didn't get quite as much as the 20%+ discounts being touted now so anyone looking should go for it before they change!

Last edited by Flux; Jul 1st, 2014 at 09:47.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:51   #12
swishtony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
That's probably the case although they always plead poverty and claim they make nothing - they've said that with my last two Volvo purchases.
Exactly my point, I was at one stage negotiating on a new car with my local Volvo dealer. I was being his worst nightmare by not committing to anything, I tried everything in my power to drive the price down. He knocked something like 1.5k off via various deals but kept saying they could not sell any lower. Clearly this is not the case and they lost a potential sale. Presumably they could have gone a lot lower, I don't get why they didn't as they could have sold me a car.

Glad they didn't now though as I didn't know about DTD, I'm amazed I had never discovered them before as I'm pretty thorough on research normally.

Has anybody ever gone back to local dealers and got a price match with DTD? I just cannot imagine my local dealer getting anywhere near the 8k discount DTD are offering, especially as I couldn't get 2k off, and believe me..... I gave it a real good go!
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:04   #13
Flux
Premier Member

I think it's worth going back with the quote just to watch their reaction

Just think how lucky you were discovering this forum before you signed on the dotted line...... it has potentially saved you thousands.

And equally just think of the folk that have never heard of DTD and have gone away from their dealer happy negotiating a 'killer' £1,500 discount!

After I had negotiated a deal via one of the brokers, my original dealer came back to me only I told them I wasn't interested as I had secured a deal elsewhere. They did match it and I ordered via them although I do regret not going with the dealer my broker put me in touch with as I felt they were more deserving of my business.

I don't rate my local dealer only they were closer to me so was a little more convenient. Now go elsewhere for servicing etc as my local dealer appears unable to answer even the most basic of questions and am still waiting for the answer to a question I raised by email on 16th May!

Last edited by Flux; Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:11.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:07   #14
Considered1
Premier Member

I had two local dealers close enough. One of them did say they regularly get DTD business or at least always try to match it. The other played the usual game and laughed at me a few times until I gave them the evidence they needed. Just need to allow plenty of time to let the b ll sh t evaporate.. I started almost a year early (when I wasn't quite in a position to buy.. Or so I thought!)
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:11   #15
iandoot

I did my homework before going into my local Doves dealership. Printed off the DTD quote but also got various dealer quotes from carwow, the closest of which was £500 more than DTD.

Off I went to the dealers, had my test drive and then started the negotiation. No point wasting time so straight away I set down my prices in front of the salesman to which he said "DTD-can't match that but can beat the other quotes" He got to within £200 of DTD within a couple of minutes but admitted he couldn't match their figure. He was able to throw in the Diamondbrite paint treatment for £100 rather than the £250 quoted along with a further £100 off a reversible luggage compartment mat and give us a Volvo neck rest for my wife for free so all in all I was more than happy with the deal and i'm also in the position that I can nip into the dealers whenever I want to keep adding all those extras that I don't really need!
iandoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iandoot For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:35   #16
Arianne
Premier Member

Default I gained both ways......

My local dealer offered us £5k for our XC90, saying that it was really only worth £4.5k as part-ex but they were doing us a favour. Sold it on eBay Motors ten days later for £9.3k and the selling fees were about £40.

£4.3k up on that part of the deal, kerching

The DTD discounted their package to me which, compared to the best deal available on the new car, was £2.1k better than the local dealer's best effort.

Overall, £6.4k better off than accepting the local dealer's best offer.

The local dealership wasn't exactly overjoyed and I get that - they had let me use their demonstrator twice during the previous 12mths for up to a whole day each time. They have a business to run with overheads but so do I........my family's finances are my business and I manage them very carefully.

The car's great, bought the fixed price up-front servicing package for three years (that'll be our change-over point as I prefer now not to have my car go out of warranty) and the local dealership is looking after the car. To be fair to the dealership, they have been fine and very professional with us since we acquired our new car.

It's business, it's not personal. And we should never confuse that.

Arianne
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:47   #17
swishtony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I think it's worth going back with the quote just to watch their reaction

Just think how lucky you were discovering this forum before you signed on the dotted line...... it has potentially saved you thousands.

And equally just think of the folk that have never heard of DTD and have gone away from their dealer happy negotiating a 'killer' £1,500 discount!
Yes I'm tempted, think it might tip them over the edge and make my servicing trips a tad awkward though!

And yes it was thanks to this forum I discovered DTD, I've forfeited my deposit on the one I was going to buy, tried to get it back but he was having none of it! Now the fun starts spec'ing up a new one better suited to my requirements. I originally went with the nearly new model as it fitted into my budget. Now I can get a near 8k discount I feel I'm better off getting a brand new one and getting the exact spec I want rather than an already built car.

I'm already going mad trying to decide on spec..... get ready for a stream of threads asking questions on options, packs, etc etc!!
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 14:34   #18
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishtony View Post
...I've forfeited my deposit on the one I was going to buy, tried to get it back but he was having none of it!
I had to recover a deposit from an ordered car a few years back. They claimed it was non-refundable, I explained that they had taken it over the phone without any terms and conditions provided and, in the words of the dealer, was to reserve a build slot which would be subject to confirmation of spec etc. They said it didn't matter. I said perhaps the small claims court might not agree, and two days later the money was back in my account.....

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 14:52   #19
Flux
Premier Member

Did they they also put it in writing that it was non refundable? I wonder if they followed the procedures or provided with with full T&C's so think they would have a problem retaining it if you pushed. Not like they have committed it to cover the build of the car or used it up for something which can't now be changed.

I would push if I were you and maybe follow andymcp's route. Not great PR for them either way.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 08:06   #20
swishtony
Master Member

The deposit was not on a new car, it was on a nearly new one from a main Volvo dealer. I'm still in negotiations actually. Unfortunately he did say in an email that once the deposit was paid it would be non-refundable. I don't really get why as they have not lost out on anything, the nearly new cars sell super quickly so I know he will have that car sold within days. Easy money for them to hang onto it I guess.